CFA Re-signed

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: CFA Re-signed

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Michalek was a monster on the Pk. Penalty killing forwards (even the legendary CFA) are a dime a dozen. GMs are willing to pay $$$ for a flimsy stat like faceoff %, yet don't pay a premium for penalty killers. That tells you everything you need to know.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:46 pm

This is one that annoys me, because his role is one where youth should be injected, but he is also completely a finished product who you know what you will get from - and he is nearly free. I still wanted him gone.

Losing TK, Cooke and Adams in one off-season would have brought about pretty significany change in the bottom 6. As it stands I guess, we have two pretty big roles to fill. I just don't think Glass or Harry Z are the agents of change we need.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joker10277 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:49 pm

What a Joke, this team has turned into, RS better get rid of someone so he can resign eaton.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:53 pm

For everyone hating all these moves, I have yet to see one person list realistic moves that makes this team better.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:06 pm

The Snapshot wrote:This is one that annoys me, because his role is one where youth should be injected, but he is also completely a finished product who you know what you will get from - and he is nearly free. I still wanted him gone.

Losing TK, Cooke and Adams in one off-season would have brought about pretty significany change in the bottom 6. As it stands I guess, we have two pretty big roles to fill. I just don't think Glass or Harry Z are the agents of change we need.

Agreed. I have nothing against Adams except for his age and the fact that he's a 4th liner with limited minutes that could be filled with younger talent like a Vitale. Adams is also not a faceoff wizard by any means and at any price I didn't see the need to keep him around, especially for a 2 yr deal. ugh.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:17 pm

brwi wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:This is one that annoys me, because his role is one where youth should be injected, but he is also completely a finished product who you know what you will get from - and he is nearly free. I still wanted him gone.

Agreed. I have nothing against Adams except for his age and the fact that he's a 4th liner with limited minutes that could be filled with younger talent like a Vitale. Adams is also not a faceoff wizard by any means and at any price I didn't see the need to keep him around, especially for a 2 yr deal. ugh.

Yeah, and to answer the question of what moves should be made to replace him - the point is that his role would not be replaced by a FA. These are roles where young guys are given shots and trades are made as the season wears on if they cannot fill it.

For my eyes all Adams ever did here was fill minutes, block some shots on the PK and fail on clearing attempts from inside our zone on the PK. I would think his clearing % from within 15 feet inside our defensive blueline on the PK is near the worst in the league (good thing such a stat is not kept).

His presence is actually not the worst to me, because unless Tanner Glass has a transformation in the off-season it is the black hole that the two of them combined represent at the bottom of the lineup that has me concerned. If I had to keep Adams to dump Glass, I would because I'd save some money for sticks and tape.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Since it's CFA we are talking about, I'm sure the two year contract also comes with a full NTC/NMC :o :thumb:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:23 pm

KG wrote:Since it's CFA we are talking about, I'm sure the two year contract also comes with a full NTC/NMC :o :thumb:

Why not, seems like everyone else gets NTC\NMC.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Adams has become like a fighter. His only role on the team is a PKer. That's it. And people like to act like he's one of the best Pkers ever. He's not. He's solid. Nothing more.

This is a place where youth should have been served. I don't care if Adams is really cheap. Adams could have been easily lost and replaced.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:04 pm

He makes 700K if he someone can do his job better his contract can be buried ... his deal is very low risk and perfect for our current situation
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm sorry, but having him / glass on 4th kills any type of threat at all on that line

Also, I agree.. His pk is overrated at this point
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 pm

i think it's hard for a 700k contract to have negative value for any every day player
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 pm

Good contract but Adams really drags down the speed of our 4th line and brings nothing to the table 5-on-5.

This also means Bylsma will dress him for all 82 games. A guy his age with his limited skill set should probably be your 13th forward. Locker room leader, veteran presence, play some games and sit some games.

This speaks volumes of our forward situation in WBS. Not one Vitale-clone is ready to come up and flash enough speed, grit, and toughness to take Adams' spot. This 4th line spot that Adams is "taking up" is how young guys like Talbot, Vitale, burst onto the scene.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:41 pm

taz71 wrote:He makes 700K if he someone can do his job better his contract can be buried ... his deal is very low risk and perfect for our current situation

No one will get a chance to do his job better because he will never sit. The only way young players have gotten any opportunity to play in the past 4 years is because of injury. Honestly, I'd hate to be a young guy on this team. Who wants to have to rely on one of your teammates going down to get a chance to prove that you belong? Bad team dynamics...

The Penguins Country Club is making a serious case for a comeback.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:30 am

pcm wrote:
taz71 wrote:He makes 700K if he someone can do his job better his contract can be buried ... his deal is very low risk and perfect for our current situation

No one will get a chance to do his job better because he will never sit. The only way young players have gotten any opportunity to play in the past 4 years is because of injury. Honestly, I'd hate to be a young guy on this team. Who wants to have to rely on one of your teammates going down to get a chance to prove that you belong? Bad team dynamics...

The Penguins Country Club is making a serious case for a comeback.

who is the young 3rd line or 4th line RW in our system.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:26 am

The U wrote:Good contract but Adams really drags down the speed of our 4th line and brings nothing to the table 5-on-5.

This also means Bylsma will dress him for all 82 games. A guy his age with his limited skill set should probably be your 13th forward. Locker room leader, veteran presence, play some games and sit some games.

This speaks volumes of our forward situation in WBS. Not one Vitale-clone is ready to come up and flash enough speed, grit, and toughness to take Adams' spot. This 4th line spot that Adams is "taking up" is how young guys like Talbot, Vitale, burst onto the scene.

Sill?
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:39 am

Andrew Ebbett is certainly capable of filling in for a few games and could be a serviceable player for us.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:58 am

Glass, Vitale, Adams will be the worst 4th line in hockey.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:01 am

That line sucks.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 am

farnham16 wrote:Glass, Vitale, Adams will be the worst 4th line in hockey.

Think it was last year too :thumb:

Seriously, I think Shero went into this off season with a plan to upgrade the bottom lines but then when Scuderi became available he decided to change his plan and upgrade the D.

I still think Shero will make a trade with Niskanen and bring in some grit.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:34 am

When comparing Adams to Glass, Adams has:

- More points (9 compared to 2).
- More goals (3 compared to 1).
- More assists (6 compared to 1).
- Less penalty minutes (28 compared to 62 and Glass taking more minors).
- Better plus/minus (-1 compared to -11).
- A better shooting percentage (6.5% compared to 2.6%).
- A better faceoff percentage (52% compared to 43%).
- More blocked shots (37 compared to 21).
- He has a shorthanded goal.
- Only skates an average of one more shift per game than Glass (15 compared to 13.9).

I'd say Adams is looking pretty good at $700,000, and Glass is the dead weight that $1.1 mil.

Also, when you look at Adams' cap hit comparables, he's taking the same hit as guys like Rinaldo, Paul Bissonette, Toby Petersen, and some scrubs that don't see NHL time. Do I think Adams is the perfect fit? No. Do I think he's a good fit on a team with some high contracts up front? Unfortunately, yes. It's the reality of our situation.
Last edited by topshelf on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:37 am

They're both terrible, but glass is a better hitter. Adams gets into more mummy battles, but they're harmless. Glass can legitimately wreck people.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:43 am

shmenguin wrote:They're both terrible, but glass is a better hitter. Adams gets into more mummy battles, but they're harmless. Glass can legitimately wreck people.

Glass throws 2.6 hits per game compared to Adams' 2.2 hits per game. I know you are talking about the force of the hits, and yes, Glass has Adams there, but if all he has over Adams is hitting, that doesn't justify his $1.1 million salary on a team where cap space is the issue.

Like I said, I'm not a huge CFA fan, but as long as we have money tied into big name players, we're going to have to round out our lineup with cheap help, as we can't afford million dollar men on our fourth line. Adams is a value at $700k.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:53 am

joker10277 wrote:What a Joke, this team has turned into, RS better get rid of someone so he can resign eaton.

If by joke you mean retaining a core of great talent at a cheaper than market value rate, then yes, it is a joke.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:28 am

joker10277 wrote:What a Joke, this team has turned into, RS better get rid of someone so he can resign eaton.

why do they need Eaton?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins