ESPN Films 30 for 30

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

ESPN Films 30 for 30

Postby JeffDFD on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:42 am

Did not realize how many episodes were out there for this series. Anyone watch most of them? Any comments on what are really good ones or ones to avoid? I recently re-upped with netflix for another free month and saw them on there.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: ESPN Films 30 for 30

Postby RJW76 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:00 am

The ones I've seen are really good. Favorites are the U, The Best That Never Was, the Gretzky one and Catching Hell. And The Two Escobars was probably the best one.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:03 am

I like pretty much all the ones I've seen, except the one on Jimmy the Greek. My favorites: Fab Five, Jordan Rides the Bus, You Don't Know Bo, Straight Outta LA, and Winning Time. It's a really well done series.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:06 am

Survive and Advance is a really good one on the Jimmy V NC State Championship team.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:25 am

Beveridge wrote:Survive and Advance is a really good one on the Jimmy V NC State Championship team.

Yeah, forgot to put that one. It was great.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:39 am

The U was great because it was hysterical and borderline uncomfortable to watch all of those guys immediately revert back to 20-year old college kids when they talked about their exploits there. Especially Michael Irvin.

I loved "Broke" because it took what is a very celebrated lifestyle and cast the spotlight directly on some very real sides of it that are almost never discussed. It showed just how ill-equipped many of these guys are to handle the amounts of money they often come into as a result of their talents, and that's without even considering the predatory friends, family, agents and financial "advisors" the show eventually highlighted. The stuff with Bernie Kosar in particular was kind of sad to watch. Bart Scott's commanding knowledge of how to manage his money was impressive, too.

Pony Express (SMU death penalty case) was awesome. That whole mess happened when I was like 6-7 years old, so it was cool to really get an in-depth look at what happened.

Also the recent "Elway to Marino" one on the 1983 NFL Draft was absolutely terrific. The 1983 season was pretty much the exact time I became an NFL fan, because Curt Warner was my favorite running back and I remembered watching him as a rookie. That 1983 draft produced many of the players who were big parts of my formative years as an NFL fan. Again, it was cool to go back and revisit how that draft transpired. I've been a Seahawks fan all my life and - as old AFC West foes - absolutely despised Elway for much of his career. I had absolutely no idea that the Seahawks seriously entertained the idea of trading up to get him, and that he would've gladly joined the Seahawks had they taken him.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:05 am

the magic johnson one was weird. he narrated it himself, which totally derailed it. it made it seem like he was talking to 4 year-olds about HIV.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:30 am

Looking forward to the one on Pat Summit. Just read her book, which was great.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Stoosh told me to watch the one about the U and i still haven't seen it.Didn't think about until now but I could always check YouTube for it.

I skated in the pre xgames era (late 80s to early 90s, although I still have a board that I screw around on) and therefore knew a ton of bmxriders who worshiped Mat Hoffman. I always heard his story about attempting the highest air on a quarter pipe but never knew the details. If you're into that type of thing its very interesting.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:24 am

the one on the usfl was great. trump is a j.o.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR