CFA Re-signed

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: CFA Re-signed

Postby helmespc on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:29 am

The last Hartford Whaler draft pick is always welcome in Pitt...
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:20 pm

With the cap heading downward so much I have no problem with Glass Vitale and Adams as a 4th line as long as guys like Z.Sill and Harry Z get a legitimate shot at some PT
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:48 pm

taz71 wrote:He makes 700K if he someone can do his job better his contract can be buried ... his deal is very low risk and perfect for our current situation

Hey, Boyd Gordon was available for 3 million a year. :lol:
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:11 pm

If we don't have at least 3 players in WBS that can take a roster spot away from a 36 year old Craig Adams we have some problems.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:20 pm

taz71 wrote: ....this was necessary to ease in the youth movement.

OMG, don't tell Disco, he'll have a <3 attack. ;)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:52 am

Here's the kicker for me. Teams weren't falling over themselves to sign Adams, I think Vancouver was the only team interested..... and obviously that didn't go through and Adams can sign where he wants. So do you mean to tell me that Shero and Byslma couldn't of just looked around and found a 3rd liner aka Lapierre for example signed that player then made a cap trade which would be trading Niskanen and just signed Adams later in the summer? I'm 99% sure he would of been available. HE HAD TO BE SIGNED on first day of free agency? what is the sick obessession that management has with Adams?

It's one thing to reup Kunitz who played really well last season and they paid a price at the time they traded for him and bring back Dupuis who has got better and was a bonus in the Hossa deal. I think this team needs to worry about other things then bringing back a 4th liner. If he's that good and that important then why did Carolina let him go and Chicago put him on waivers? I'm trying to wrap my head around why bringing him back is such a big priority.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:43 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Here's the kicker for me. Teams weren't falling over themselves to sign Adams, I think Vancouver was the only team interested..... and obviously that didn't go through and Adams can sign where he wants. So do you mean to tell me that Shero and Byslma couldn't of just looked around and found a 3rd liner aka Lapierre for example signed that player then made a cap trade which would be trading Niskanen and just signed Adams later in the summer? I'm 99% sure he would of been available. HE HAD TO BE SIGNED on first day of free agency? what is the sick obessession that management has with Adams?

It's one thing to reup Kunitz who played really well last season and they paid a price at the time they traded for him and bring back Dupuis who has got better and was a bonus in the Hossa deal. I think this team needs to worry about other things then bringing back a 4th liner. If he's that good and that important then why did Carolina let him go and Chicago put him on waivers? I'm trying to wrap my head around why bringing him back is such a big priority.

What's the sick obsession with management not using an AHL guy and giving him a chance to grow into being a competent 3rd/4th line guy?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Like I said on UFA day, I don't think it's a good assumption that Adams would have been available later. I doubt Shero really wanted to give him two years, if that were the case he most likely wouldn't have even made it to 7/5. If Shero was willing to give him two years in the end, that tells me that another team was offering him at least an equivalent deal if not better. Shero's isn't perfect but we all know he's not a moron. He's not going to guarantee a 36 year old fourth liner two years if it wasn't necessary.

Of course, he could have just moved on from Adams and I know that would be preferable for a lot of people. I think he saw how crazy the market was and stuck with someone who's a known commodity and dependable, even if he's not anything great. Better him than some AHL scrub. It also might have been different if they had prospects in the AHL ready to step in but it doesn't look like they do. That of course is on Shero but it's a separate issue.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:11 pm

So with D'Agostini signed and Zolnierczyk acquired, both are adquate NHL 4th liners on the RW. With Adams also resigned where does that leave Vitale? Can he play wing with Sutter and maybe Jokinen or Jeffrey on the other side?

I don't want to hijack the thread but Adams has no place other than 4th line and I don't see Shero carrying 13 forwards if he can save even just a little bit of cap space to use at the deadline.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins