Starkey: Pens Corner Market on 'Hometown' Discount

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Starkey: Pens Corner Market on 'Hometown' Discount

Postby Ben Klingston on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:59 am

Another column from the Trib and Starkey that I found really enjoyable.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/4297752-74/dupuis-million-money#axzz2YKWZy1ow

“You notice that people who go away to college, go away to work, end up coming back to Pittsburgh,” Dupuis said. “I've been here for six years, and I can see why. I've made a lot of friends away from hockey. My kids have made a lot of friends. By the time this contract is done, it'll hopefully be 10 years. “How much more do I need?” Dupuis said. “I thought of it that way. Do you want to mess with how things are working for the chance to get $200,000, $300,000 or maybe $400,000 more a year? I didn't. “You guys don't even know,” Dupuis said. “We have the biggest stick budget in the NHL by about a million. Everybody is A1 — the athletic trainers, the equipment guys. Anything you need, you'll get.”

“There are no worries here,” Letang said. “Not like in New York, with the media. Not like in Montreal, where you can't go to dinner without everybody knowing what you had to eat. Yeah, in Montreal, it would have been fun to play in my hometown, but it would have been tough for my family. The Penguins treat their players well, but Mario and Ray do great things for players' families, as well,” Letang said. “I've seen that with guys like Dupuis and Geno. I thought about all that. Maybe it's the same way other places. I don't know. I know what it's like here. I want to win. I also want to be where it feels right.”
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Starkey: Pens Corner Market on 'Hometown' Discount

Postby topshelf on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:02 am

Ben Klingston wrote:Another column from the Trib and Starkey that I found really enjoyable.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/4297752-74/dupuis-million-money#axzz2YKWZy1ow

“You notice that people who go away to college, go away to work, end up coming back to Pittsburgh,” Dupuis said. “I've been here for six years, and I can see why. I've made a lot of friends away from hockey. My kids have made a lot of friends. By the time this contract is done, it'll hopefully be 10 years. “How much more do I need?” Dupuis said. “I thought of it that way. Do you want to mess with how things are working for the chance to get $200,000, $300,000 or maybe $400,000 more a year? I didn't. “You guys don't even know,” Dupuis said. “We have the biggest stick budget in the NHL by about a million. Everybody is A1 — the athletic trainers, the equipment guys. Anything you need, you'll get.”

“There are no worries here,” Letang said. “Not like in New York, with the media. Not like in Montreal, where you can't go to dinner without everybody knowing what you had to eat. Yeah, in Montreal, it would have been fun to play in my hometown, but it would have been tough for my family. The Penguins treat their players well, but Mario and Ray do great things for players' families, as well,” Letang said. “I've seen that with guys like Dupuis and Geno. I thought about all that. Maybe it's the same way other places. I don't know. I know what it's like here. I want to win. I also want to be where it feels right.”

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:43 am

Wait...complete sentences? I thought Letang was a Neanderthal with an IQ of 65?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:03 am

Super Duper let out the top secret reason for discount! Guys with hockey sticks akin to women and shoes. :D

“You guys don't even know,” Dupuis said. “We have the biggest stick budget in the NHL by about a million

I read in D Molinari's article about Matt Cooke; that he plans to live in Pittsburgh. :thumb:
We're good people here ;) :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:28 am

penny lane wrote:Super Duper let out the top secret reason for discount! Guys with hockey sticks akin to women and shoes. :D

“You guys don't even know,” Dupuis said. “We have the biggest stick budget in the NHL by about a million

I read in D Molinari's article about Matt Cooke; that he plans to live in Pittsburgh. :thumb:
We're good people here ;) :P

Yep, forgot where I read that, Penny, but chalk up another one to the awesomeness that is Pittsburgh and Western PA.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:39 am

As an outsider, I've always been impressed with the people and the attitudes in Western PA when I travel there a couple times a year. We consider all of PA to be in the East, but Pittsburgh feels like the Midwest to me.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Great article ... good perspective on the sacrifices our players made to sign here financially. Great to have players here that feel this is the best organization in hockey.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:36 pm

country club atmosphere
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:country club atmosphere

The Pens or the board?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby viva la ben on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:39 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:As an outsider, I've always been impressed with the people and the attitudes in Western PA when I travel there a couple times a year. We consider all of PA to be in the East, but Pittsburgh feels like the Midwest to me.

Pittsburgh is the gateway to the Midwest.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:56 pm

I have been all over the country and can say this about Pittsburgh:

It's an eastern city with a mid-western feel.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:01 pm

columbia wrote:

The Pens or the board?

both?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cma3585 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:02 pm

I have a friend who lives in Lebanon, PA and she says there's a marked difference in the general attitudes of people out this way compared to Eastern PA. I'm sure you can figure out what those differences are.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:16 pm

CERV96 wrote:
columbia wrote:

The Pens or the board?

both?

SHHHHHHH! Cerv, you know us second tier members are to be seen and not heard from.
Last edited by FreeCandy44 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Two points here. 1) Y'all know where I'm from, and I love my hometown. But every time I come to Pittsburgh, I also feel like I'm home. Maybe because I always stay in the same hotel when I'm here. Maybe it's because I go to pretty much the same haunts when I'm here. I also have gotten to know the roads and how to get around. Maybe it's because I have a couple of friends here. Anyway, I love this place and I know good folks when I see them, and there are lot's of them here. I guess I'm not the only one. 2) As far as the players and the "hometown discount", I believe they are truly happy here and they know that "you don't mess with happy"!

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Two points here. 1) Y'all know where I'm from, and I love my hometown. But every time I come to Pittsburgh, I also feel like I'm home. Maybe because I always stay in the same hotel when I'm here. Maybe it's because I go to pretty much the same haunts when I'm here. I also have gotten to know the roads and how to get around. Maybe it's because I have a couple of friends here. Anyway, I love this place and I know good folks when I see them, and there are lot's of them here. I guess I'm not the only one. 2) As far as the players and the "hometown discount", I believe they are truly happy here and they know that "you don't mess with happy"!

BEPF

CURSE
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Elementary Penguin on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:19 pm

I live in St. Louis, and I always tell this story when people ask me about Pittsburgh, being a Pens fan...

My first trip out there was in college. I drove to Philly for a game there first. While there, we were given directions that sent us to the complete wrong side of town on purpose, and people were generally dicks. Then, when we drove back to Pitt, after we came out of the tunnel and were on the bridge (Ft. Pitt?) someone saw us with a map and actually rolled down their window and asked if we needed help.

We immediately realized that these two towns were different.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby taz71 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:25 pm

The Pens are all about the house Mario Lemieux built. Would make an awesome movie.

Beyond that you have the city and fans
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:04 am

thepittman wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Two points here. 1) Y'all know where I'm from, and I love my hometown. But every time I come to Pittsburgh, I also feel like I'm home. Maybe because I always stay in the same hotel when I'm here. Maybe it's because I go to pretty much the same haunts when I'm here. I also have gotten to know the roads and how to get around. Maybe it's because I have a couple of friends here. Anyway, I love this place and I know good folks when I see them, and there are lot's of them here. I guess I'm not the only one. 2) As far as the players and the "hometown discount", I believe they are truly happy here and they know that "you don't mess with happy"!

BEPF

CURSE

The "CURSE" ship has sailed.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:48 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
thepittman wrote:

BEPF

CURSE

The "CURSE" ship has sailed.

BEPF

Are you sure it's the these cans and not a "curse"?

STAY AWAY FROM THE CANS!

Spoiler:
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:06 pm

taz71 wrote:Great article ... good perspective on the sacrifices our players made to sign here financially. Great to have players here that feel this is the best organization in hockey.

Maybe its sacrifice, or maybe GMRS masters the art of the Cost of Living adjustment... :fist:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:32 pm

cma3585 wrote:I have a friend who lives in Lebanon, PA and she says there's a marked difference in the general attitudes of people out this way compared to Eastern PA. I'm sure you can figure out what those differences are.

That's true. I live in Hummelstown (next to Hershey) and about 10 miles from Lebanon. I am a transplanted Pittsburgher (14 years now) and it is very different living here. Both areas bring their own set of values, advantages, and disadvantages. The initial culture shock was, well, shocking.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:34 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:
cma3585 wrote:I have a friend who lives in Lebanon, PA and she says there's a marked difference in the general attitudes of people out this way compared to Eastern PA. I'm sure you can figure out what those differences are.

That's true. I live in Hummelstown (next to Hershey) and about 10 miles from Lebanon. I am a transplanted Pittsburgher (14 years now) and it is very different living here. Both areas bring their own set of values, advantages, and disadvantages. The initial culture shock was, well, shocking.

I live right up 39, and all I can say is I hope I get put in the Pittsburgh area when I go for the state police.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby praxitas on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:37 am

I'm in West Hanover township off of 39 myself. Didn't know there were so many locals on the board :fist:
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:53 am

praxitas wrote:I'm in West Hanover township off of 39 myself. Didn't know there were so many locals on the board :fist:

Oh god, I went to West Hanover Elementary. Used to work at the Subway right across the street from it :face:
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins