LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Kraftster on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Altidore to Sunderland. Nice. I'm really excited to get to see him play more often.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:51 pm

USA whoops Guat. 6-0. Donovan with 2g1a. 1 assist away from being the first player in the history of international soccer (I believe) to score 50g50a...also 4 games to 150 caps.

150/50/50 is a pretty amazing statistic.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:12 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:

Yes, it is. :thumb:

I'd think that guys like Ferenc Puskás and Pelé (and probably a handful of obscure players from equally obscure countries) reached 50/50, but unfortunately back in their days assists weren't officially recorded. A shame, really.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:58 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fo ... onal_goals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fo ... _more_caps

The talk of Landon Donovan intrigued me about the history of international caps and goals scored. These links were pretty enjoyable to go through.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:36 pm

Kraftster wrote:Altidore to Sunderland. Nice. I'm really excited to get to see him play more often.

I'm ambivalent about the move. I, too, am excited to see him play more often, but I'm worried playing on a relegation zone EPL team won't be great for his continued development. It seems especially tough for forwards when their teams just park the bus, and they rarely get good service or numbers forward to help. The buzz on the internet seems to be that Sunderland is looking to spend a good bit to bolster the team, but we'll have to wait and see.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:02 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:USA whoops Guat. 6-0. Donovan with 2g1a. 1 assist away from being the first player in the history of international soccer (I believe) to score 50g50a...also 4 games to 150 caps.

I watched the game and heard them announce those stats, but I didn't think about how amazing that really is (especially after looking at the links Rylan provided). Donovan's in pretty elite company.

My other big takeaway from that game was that Stuart Holden looked fantastic. It's going to be a big boost to the US if Holden and Donovan are back to being fit and in form.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Gaucho wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:

I'd think that guys like Ferenc Puskás and Pelé (and probably a handful of obscure players from equally obscure countries) reached 50/50, but unfortunately back in their days assists weren't officially recorded. A shame, really.

I probably don't need to tell you that formations were much more offensive in the early parts of the 20th century and goals were much more prevalent. I'm not attempting to detract from what you are saying just adding to your point.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Are goal stats tracked by hitting it off your head, body, foot, etc? LA Galaxy game is on and dude planted a goal off his head, which spurred my curiosity.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:50 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:

I probably don't need to tell you that formations were much more offensive in the early parts of the 20th century and goals were much more prevalent. I'm not attempting to detract from what you are saying just adding to your point.

That is certainly true.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ossa on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:39 pm

largegarlic wrote:What's up with the pricing for the Riverhounds v. Wigan friendly? I was thinking it would be cool to go and expected prices to be higher than for a normal game, but the cheapest tickets for an actual seat (i.e. not standing room only) are $40, not including ticketmaster fees. That's as much as I paid to see the Barca v. Chivas friendly in Miami a couple years ago.

You can sit in the end zone for $28. Having a ticket allows you to attend Wigan's practice the day before and get autographs/pictures with the Wigan players. As for the high ticket prices, I think the high prices are due to the fact that Highmark Stadium is such a small stadium (4,000 capacity). The Barca/Chivas friendly was in a big stadium.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:35 am

Barring injury (knock on wood), there's no chance Holden misses out on Brazil, right? I'm really hoping he's in the XI by the end of the Gold Cup.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 am

GaryRissling wrote:Barring injury (knock on wood), there's no chance Holden misses out on Brazil, right? I'm really hoping he's in the XI by the end of the Gold Cup.

If he's healthy (and that's a huge if given his career), he's definitely one of the best US players. He would upgrade 3-4 spots in the US lineup, including Jermaine Jones. Having said that, he's gotten most of his time against an inexperienced Guatemala and a terrible Belize side, so it's tough to get too excited just yet.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:21 am

We'll see how Altidore does. He was a bust at Hull. Although, they were terrible and got relegated.

I'm not really sure Sunderland is a great situation. They will probably battle relegation once again this season and they don't have a ton of creativity. If Sunderland play one up top, Steven Fletcher (when healthy), is probably first choice. The coach is volatile (to say the least) and could be off at any moment.

Guys like Mido, Alfonso Alves, and Mateja Kezman have all lit up the Eredivisie and failed in England. (Michael Bradley scored 16 goals one season for Herenveen, so goals #'s can definitely be inflated in Holland.) But you also have the likes of RVN and RVP who obviously were successful in moving to England.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:31 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:He was a bust at Hull. Although, they were terrible and got relegated.

Hm, correlation maybe?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:38 am

The only thing to like about the Sunderland situation for Altidore is that Di Canio is there (for now).

Tired of hearing about how he scored only one goal as a 20 year old for a terrible Hull City team with a used car salesman as a manager. Sunderland may very well be relegation fodder, but this squad is twice as talented as that Hull City group.

Hope he is successful there, as you wouldn't want that to affect his standing with the national squad.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:41 am

Jozy had a good thing going at AZ.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Gaucho wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:He was a bust at Hull. Although, they were terrible and got relegated.

Hm, correlation maybe?

Right. But I am saying he may find himself in a similar situation at Sunderland.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:26 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

Hm, correlation maybe?

Right. But I am saying he may find himself in a similar situation at Sunderland.

I didn't realize he was still this young. I think he'll do just fine in Sunderland.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Brazilian amateur ref gives yellow card, then stabs the player he carded - who in turn dies en route to the hospital. Enraged fans set about decapitating and quartering the ref.

:shock:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Yeah, read about that before my men's league game on Monday night. I was extra nice to the refs.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:00 pm

ugh
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Surely these bids from Arsenal for Suarez are just a red herring to get Madrid's butt in gear to buy him, right?

Schwarzer to Chelsea is pretty interesting, pseudo-retirement at his age.

Sunderland are on the verge of signing Emanuele Giaccherini which would add some needed creativity and in theory help Jozy.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Who are Arsenal actually going to add? Surely Sonogo isn't the only attacking player to be added with them being linked to so many other names?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Surely these bids from Arsenal for Suarez are just a red herring to get Madrid's butt in gear to buy him, right?

Schwarzer to Chelsea is pretty interesting, pseudo-retirement at his age.

Sunderland are on the verge of signing Emanuele Giaccherini which would add some needed creativity and in theory help Jozy.

I have no idea (money) why Giaccherini would go to Sunderland (money). It doesn't make any sense (money) for someone who was a relatively important piece in two straight Serie A titles (money) and who just about sealed his plane ticket to the World Cup for one of the top 5 national teams in the world to go to Sunderland (money). SUNDERLAND of all places.

Those wages had better be outstanding if this actually happens. For what its worth, La Gazzetta has it as done as well, with Juve replacing him with Diamanti. Without DiCanio, no chance he is going there (money).
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:40 pm

The EPL just signed a new fabulous TV deal, so the wages are probably more than outstanding.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR