TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:52 am

shmenguin wrote:Next Food Network Star is mind bogglingly bad this year. There is absolutely no one in the cast who will be capable of having their own TV show.

this has been the case for a couple of seasons. the sandwich king, aarti party...they have been trainwrecks for a while now. that being said, i think its the dark, short-haired working mom's to lose.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:04 am

What Food Network's canned culture has done to culinary TV
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/944 ... ontroversy
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:52 am

canaan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Next Food Network Star is mind bogglingly bad this year. There is absolutely no one in the cast who will be capable of having their own TV show.

this has been the case for a couple of seasons. the sandwich king, aarti party...they have been trainwrecks for a while now. that being said, i think its the dark, short-haired working mom's to lose.

based on her eyes, she has chopped up body parts sitting in her basement.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:58 am

I can't believe there have been 8 winners so far. I would've guess about 4.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 am

Next food network star has been an abomination lately. I don't watch it at all any more.

I have been enjoying chopped and restaurant impossible much more lately
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:06 am

What happens to the next food network star if they win? Do they get a restaurant that they can run into bankruptcy?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:26 am

watched under the dome ep 2 and that's all I can do, no longer so bad its funny, just plain bad and boring. I read what happens in the book, glad I'm done with it.

Ray Donovan ep 2 was intense, I like this show
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:What happens to the next food network star if they win? Do they get a restaurant that they can run into bankruptcy?

a tv show on the network and some coin
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 am

shmenguin wrote:
canaan wrote:

based on her eyes, she has chopped up body parts sitting in her basement.

yeah, it can be unnerving when she gives the happy, bug-eyed, i just found a victim in a dark alley look.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:31 am

Food Net related: I remember liking that Chris Hodgson from the great american food truck race....and he was likable on that, but hes boring. so long.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:32 am

canaan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:What happens to the next food network star if they win? Do they get a restaurant that they can run into bankruptcy?

Do they get on there by having a restaurant or can they just be a lady that makes heart destroying(read as: hearty) food like Paula Dean?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:41 am

canaan wrote:Food Net related: I remember liking that Chris Hodgson from the great american food truck race....and he was likable on that, but hes boring. so long.

Aha. I knew I recognized that guy, but couldn't remember from where.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:43 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
canaan wrote:

Do they get on there by having a restaurant or can they just be a lady that makes heart destroying(read as: hearty) food like Paula Dean?

I'm not really sure what their criteria is to be honest. Probably whoever fits their script.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:01 am

the wicked child wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
canaan wrote:

I'm not really sure what their criteria is to be honest. Probably whoever fits their script.

its like real world casting--rounds of interviews, call backs, etc. i believe for this particular show, they do competency testing and base level in-house focus group testing and then the 12 or so people that are on the show are "the finalists"
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:03 am

I was guessing it was like that, probably with fewer skanky 20 year olds.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tjand72 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Reality TV is ruining television (out on a limb, I know). I checked my Comcast guide at 8 tonight, and there were at least 15 shows that could be considered reality TV. I refuse to watch any of it.

If not for the wife, cable would be cancelled.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:12 am

finally decided to sit down and watch Twin Peaks all the way through and finish with Fire Walk with me. Watched the first 2 last night, what a terrific drama, the music is so hauntingly perfect for this show
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:02 am

eddysnake wrote:finally decided to sit down and watch Twin Peaks all the way through and finish with Fire Walk with me. Watched the first 2 last night, what a terrific drama, the music is so hauntingly perfect for this show

This dude was the scariest part of my childhood
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:04 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:05 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
eddysnake wrote:finally decided to sit down and watch Twin Peaks all the way through and finish with Fire Walk with me. Watched the first 2 last night, what a terrific drama, the music is so hauntingly perfect for this show

Like the killing on AMC (couldn't watch past the first episode), the pilot of twin peaks is tough to sit through now having kids. Luckily kyle maclachlan eases up some of that tension
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:07 am

Has anyone watched Siberia? As a fan if reality competitions I watched the first episode on demand. Don't read about in on the internet before watching.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:15 am

viva la ben wrote:Has anyone watched Siberia? As a fan if reality competitions I watched the first episode on demand. Don't read about in on the internet before watching.

Major Spoilers
Spoiler:
Is it all fake? I'm pretty sure it was after the first episode. At first I thought it was going to be like a prank/hidden camera show where some of the people were left to believe what was happening was real, but the reactions from the "contestants" to the death didn't seem genuine so I'm assuming it's all scripted. Not sure if I'll keep watching if that's the case.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 am

im glad that you've approved. its one of my favorites of all time. of all time. i thought that the killing reminded me of it...i need to get back to watching it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 am

eddysnake wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:

Like the killing on AMC (couldn't watch past the first episode), the pilot of twin peaks is tough to sit through now having kids. Luckily kyle maclachlan eases up some of that tension

whoa. totally missed that you made the correlation to the killing.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:21 am

Hockeynut! wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Has anyone watched Siberia? As a fan if reality competitions I watched the first episode on demand. Don't read about in on the internet before watching.

Major Spoilers
Spoiler:
Is it all fake? I'm pretty sure it was after the first episode. At first I thought it was going to be like a prank/hidden camera show where some of the people were left to believe what was happening was real, but the reactions from the "contestants" to the death didn't seem genuine so I'm assuming it's all scripted. Not sure if I'll keep watching if that's the case.

Spoiler:
yes, all actors, scripted, and they are not even in Siberia. The series was filmed in Manitoba. The second episode is available on demand so I'll give it a try. I like the mix of survivor, lost, and Blair witch project
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR