So you like Golden Corral huh?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:58 am

around here Asian buffets have the WORST health scores and for all the wrong reasons such as food not holding at it's proper temp. that's the kind of stuff that can make you sick. I avoid those buffets at all costs.
I miss the old days when places like GC and Ryan's were steak places that just happened to have a salad bar. nowadays they are just full-on buffets with mediocre to bad food.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,431
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:10 am

CERV96 wrote:
Spoiler:
From someone who worked for an HVAC company that had to run calls at a ton of restaurants one would be surprised at what you would see. We ran calls from all types of places. By far the cleanest kitchens I saw was Eat'n'park yeah that's right. The kitchens looked better than Monteray bay and the LeMount. The worst I have ever seen were buffet type places. Especially the chinese ones. The kitchens were a mess. Saw food sitting in the kitchen for hours and then served. never seen one of them wash their hands or anything. Working in the HVAC industry has ruined places like that for me. I will never eat at one of those places again.


So you have to ruin them for everyone else, eh? ****. :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,797
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 am

kenny the kangaroo had an acquaintence in that worked in the commercial cleaning industry, and said that the georgetown inn kitchen in mt washington was the most disgusting kitchen they saw
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,137
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby Kraftster on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 am

Shyster wrote:Oddly, I don't care for buffets unless the food is non-American (for example, Chinese, Japanese, or Indian). Then I'm all up in that place. Taj Mahal's buffets are awesome (and cheap), and I've eaten at the sushi buffet place on McKnight Road many times.


That sushi buffet on McKnight is solid. I occasionally go to the China Palace (I think?) buffet downtown by Monte Cello's. I don't really like going to that or most buffets, but that one isn't the worst.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,255
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:23 am

I hate going to buffets because I don't really feel like putting my meal together, thats why i went out to eat.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,904
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:25 am

I don't like buffets because I feel obligated to eat more than I should/want to eat.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,240
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby stopper40 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 am

Kraftster wrote:
Shyster wrote:Oddly, I don't care for buffets unless the food is non-American (for example, Chinese, Japanese, or Indian). Then I'm all up in that place. Taj Mahal's buffets are awesome (and cheap), and I've eaten at the sushi buffet place on McKnight Road many times.


That sushi buffet on McKnight is solid. I occasionally go to the China Palace (I think?) buffet downtown by Monte Cello's. I don't really like going to that or most buffets, but that one isn't the worst.


Misaki, the place that's in the old Tambellini's on 51, is a solid buffet.

If people saw what went on in the backs of most restaurants, they'd never eat there again
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,937
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:36 am

Troy Loney wrote:I don't like buffets because I feel obligated to eat more than I should/want to eat.


This. I'll go to a buffet while on vacation, mainly just to pound crab legs, but that is about my extent for a year.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,788
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 am

Was Tambellini's a good restaurant?
I recall that being a go-to place for many after Saturday mass.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,362
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby stopper40 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:53 am

columbia wrote:Was Tambellini's a good restaurant?
I recall that being a go-to place for many after Saturday mass.



Was pretty good, was high end Italian. I only had been there a handful of times in my life. Struck me as the kind of place you'd see in mob movies
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,937
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 am

I liked Tambellinis a lot. Went there many times.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,904
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby jimjom on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 am

I think it's best when going to Chinese buffets to not look in the back or towards the kitchen. One of my favorite non-Chinese buffets, India Garden on Atwood, just got cited a couple weeks back for a variety of health code infractions, including roaches crawling around the food.

If you really want to ruin your day, well type your favorite restaurant's name in the site below and see what was found:

http://webapps.achd.net/Restaurant/
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,903
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Presto

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 pm

canaan wrote:The ponderosa in belle vernon went banana sandwich. corporate decided that since it was a very popular breakfast location, that they would jack up the price like 20% and the bottom fell out almost immediately. 3 weeks after instituting the price change, i was hungover and for some reason, wanted to try the breakfast offering at said place. at 9:00, i was literally the only person in the place. i found out all of this information from the waitress serving me at the time. the managers told corporate that this would happen and they ignored it. the ponderosa closed at the end of may. lulz.

Is that where the Mexican place went in?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:33 pm

The Monroeville GC is the epitome of white trash and urban majesty. It is horrible and you should be ashamed if you've eaten there.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,800
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Nobody Loves Me, Neither Do I...

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby JS© on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:33 am

I've never been to a GC, but I almost want to go just to see how bad it is.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,940
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Trying to avoid the mumps.

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby viva la ben on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 am

The clientele of GC is often more horrifying than the food.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,565
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby JS© on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:23 am

jimjom wrote:I think it's best when going to Chinese buffets to not look in the back or towards the kitchen. One of my favorite non-Chinese buffets, India Garden on Atwood, just got cited a couple weeks back for a variety of health code infractions, including roaches crawling around the food.

If you really want to ruin your day, well type your favorite restaurant's name in the site below and see what was found:

http://webapps.achd.net/Restaurant/


Thanks for burning up my last 2 hours. Some of the places weren't too bad. Hyde Park had a minor violation because the goat cheese was topped off above the rim of the container and was 55F instead of 41F. If that's the worst thing that they were cited for, I think they'll be ok.

Jimjom, what's the worst one that you found listed? I know roaches in the food has to be up there, but I'm guessing that's not even near the top.
Last edited by JS© on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,940
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Trying to avoid the mumps.

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:24 am

viva la ben wrote:The clientele of GC is often more horrifying than the food.


This is what saddened me the most the one time I've been there. I must have spent 15 minutes just people watching with a look of horror on my face. Not a single person wasn't obese. I can't judge them, I was eating there myself, but these seemed like seasoned vets of the GC League.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,899
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:25 am

That was the only part of my trip to the place that I enjoyed. It was exactly the way a sketch comedy would portray it...except more dramatic.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,904
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:31 am

I guess that's what it was for me. It was as if it was a TV show or movie....but it was real life.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,899
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby canaan on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 am

mac5155 wrote:
canaan wrote:The ponderosa in belle vernon went banana sandwich. corporate decided that since it was a very popular breakfast location, that they would jack up the price like 20% and the bottom fell out almost immediately. 3 weeks after instituting the price change, i was hungover and for some reason, wanted to try the breakfast offering at said place. at 9:00, i was literally the only person in the place. i found out all of this information from the waitress serving me at the time. the managers told corporate that this would happen and they ignored it. the ponderosa closed at the end of may. lulz.

Is that where the Mexican place went in?

its next to the ponderosa
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,232
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 10:13 am
Location: H2S

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 am

The only time I ever went to Golden Corral, it was against my will on a bus trip to the race down in Dover from Altoona, we stopped at the one in Hagerstown. I think I just ate mac and cheese though.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,797
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby thepittman on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am

viva la ben wrote:The clientele of GC is often more horrifying than the food.


Ryan's is even worse
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,165
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 am

Who told you I liked Golden Corral bro? I've never even been there. I suggest you withdraw your accusation.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,071
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: So you like Golden Corral huh?

Postby thepittman on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:12 pm

slappybrown wrote:Who told you I liked Golden Corral bro? I've never even been there. I suggest you withdraw your accusation.

─────▄████▀█▄ ..........▄███████▄
───▄██████████▄ ....▄██████████▄
─▄█████.▼.▼.▼.▼. ...▀█████████▀
▄███████▄.▲.▲▲ .......▀█████████▀
█████████████▀▀

YOU HAVE BEEN CAUGHT BY THE NINJA TURTLE OF PIZZA! REPOST THIS OR GET COWABUNGA'D DUDE!!!
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,165
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766, pensfan1989 and 7 guests


e-mail