Free agency

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Free agency

Postby wondermoose on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
taz71 wrote:Talbot and his 1.75 cap hit is looking pretty good right now

The Talbot that was playing uninspired hockey, floated, and all around just didn't give a crap didn't deserve that contract at the time. If he needed a big contract he didn't deserve from a cross state rival to jump start his game he's not a guy I'd want here.

Sorry, but I never saw the man once play like he didn't care. Ever. He had a bad year while he was recovering from shoulder surgery so I don't blame Shero for not signing (especially not for 5 years) so don't convince yourself he stopped caring.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:26 pm

wondermoose wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

The Talbot that was playing uninspired hockey, floated, and all around just didn't give a crap didn't deserve that contract at the time. If he needed a big contract he didn't deserve from a cross state rival to jump start his game he's not a guy I'd want here.

Sorry, but I never saw the man once play like he didn't care. Ever. He had a bad year while he was recovering from shoulder surgery so I don't blame Shero for not signing (especially not for 5 years) so don't convince yourself he stopped caring.

Must not have actually watched his last season here.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:53 pm

Amazing how many players we have had the past 4 years that's its their fault, suck and dont care yet go on to at the very least be productive players who care when they get someplace else.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:11 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Amazing how many players we have had the past 4 years that's its their fault, suck and dont care yet go on to at the very least be productive players who care when they get someplace else.

Sometimes guys just need a change of scenery.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Boogeyman on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:35 pm

I think the Flyers would welcome that trade (Talbot for Niskanen). The thing is, your improving the Flyers more than you are improving the Pens, so I don't think that trade ever goes down.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Boogeyman wrote:I think the Flyers would welcome that trade (Talbot for Niskanen). The thing is, your improving the Flyers more than you are improving the Pens, so I don't think that trade ever goes down.

No way the Flyers would want that trade. They are over the cap right now. They need to she'd salary not take it on.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:37 pm

columbia wrote:I'm a little surprised that Murray is still on the market.

Why? He's a third pairing guy at this point in his career.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Teams need 3rd pairing guys too?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby slappybrown on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:41 pm

columbia wrote:Teams need 3rd pairing guys too?

Yes, teams also need backup goalies and 4th line wingers. You can get them pretty much anytime you want during the FA period, if not from within. Why rush to sign Murray 4 days after FA opens when there are (1) better options still out there and (2) its Doug Murray.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

As a Flyer, he's no longer anything to write home about, either.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:48 pm

talbot was the laziest player on the team between the months of october and march. he never gave a crap until the playoffs were about to start. this was every year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby taz71 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:16 pm

After looking at all our options i don't envy the position that Shero is in right now. Would like to see a player or 2 come out of nowhere and earn some bottom 6 time. Time will tell. I don't think he can tie up a FA for more than 1 year until he knows next years cap situation
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 pm

taz71 wrote:After looking at all our options i don't envy the position that Shero is in right now. Would like to see a player or 2 come out of nowhere and earn some bottom 6 time. Time will tell. I don't think he can tie up a FA for more than 1 year until he knows next years cap situation

Except for Dupuis, Kunitz, Scuderi, and CFA other than those FAs
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:I think the Flyers would welcome that trade (Talbot for Niskanen). The thing is, your improving the Flyers more than you are improving the Pens, so I don't think that trade ever goes down.

No way the Flyers would want that trade. They are over the cap right now. They need to she'd salary not take it on.

Unfortunately the Flyers' cap woes are greatly exaggerated (for the time being). Once they put Pronger on LTIR when the season starts they will be under the ceiling by a decent margin.

shmenguin wrote:talbot was the laziest player on the team between the months of october and march. he never gave a crap until the playoffs were about to start. this was every year.

0_o

The amount of revisionist history going on here anymore is ridiculous.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:26 pm

shmenguin wrote:talbot was the laziest player on the team between the months of october and march. he never gave a crap until the playoffs were about to start. this was every year.

Even if this were true, which it isn't...fine. Since we have more than enough talent to make the playoffs anyway...give me some guys who will give a crap when it comes playoff time and make a difference.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:37 pm

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/p ... odyguards/

Jamal Mayers, MArk Fraser, McGratton .. Mayers would be good choice for 4th line.. Fraser for bottom pairing,but we have too much D already.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby taz71 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Interesting ... Talbot was on our top 6 with Fedotenko on the LW. Guerin was Crosby's RW at age 38.

Our top 6 is looking pretty good right now.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

As a Flyer, he's no longer anything to write home about, either.

I wouldn't argue his value to a team, but I just don't like the "doesn't care" comments. They're a cop out and writ with revisionist history.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Would love to have Mayers and Fraser but I don't the Pens moving in that direction.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Pens4Life wrote:http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/puttin-on-the-foil-nhls-bodyguards/

Jamal Mayers, MArk Fraser, McGratton .. Mayers would be good choice for 4th line.. Fraser for bottom pairing,but we have too much D already.

Almost positive McGratton signed a 2 year extension with Calgary the other day...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:42 pm

I'd rather have guys that, oh I don't know, can actually play the game on the 4th line.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:15 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

Unfortunately the Flyers' cap woes are greatly exaggerated (for the time being). Once they put Pronger on LTIR when the season starts they will be under the ceiling by a decent margin.

0_o

The amount of revisionist history going on here anymore is ridiculous.

Is it revisionist history if I made a bunch of the same posts while he was still on the team? Probably not, I'd guess.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:19 pm

meow wrote:I'd rather have guys that, oh I don't know, can actually play the game on the 4th line.

Agreed no goons. Grit yes....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 pm

I would take three players that were lackadaisical in the regular season and then could effectively turn it on the playoffs.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:I know many here will hate this idea, but I could see GMRS signing Colby Armstrong to a minimum, possibly 2 way deal to maybe provide some competition in the bottom 6. I'm not sure how much I would like it either, but there are worse options to fill out the roster. He would bring some of that grit that is missing though

I would play Dustin Jeffrey, or for that matter Dustin Jeffrey's sister before I would sign Colby Armstrong.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins