Game Worn Penguin Jerseys

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game Worn Penguin Jerseys

Postby The Colonel on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Hey guys. My first post not about Penspoints. Haha........

Anyway, if anyone is looking for Penguin Game Used Jerseys, check out my friend at www.jjdistributing.biz

I have bought many jerseys off of him weather it is for me, or my friends & co-workers-. He is under contract with the Penguins to buy all of their games used jerseys, and then distribute them into private hands. All game used and game issued jerseys come with a COA from the Penguins and also have the fight strap signed by Dana Henzie. Practices used jersey don't come with a COA, unless it is a jersy with a players name and number on them.

This is how I look at it. You can go to Consol Energy Pensgear, and spend $385 on a....quote......authentic....that is really not the same as what the players wear......or buy a game used or issued jersey of of him. Some jerseys are as low as $150 for gamers, and $50 for practice used. But if you want a real high profile player such as Sid......you are looking at 10 grand. But why pay almsot $400 for a non auhentic when you can get a real players jersey at a much lower price. Anyway...check it out if you want. If you buy anything off of him, tell him Jason sent ya. He is out of Ellwood City PA.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Game Worn Penguin Jerseys

Postby JS© on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:29 pm

I've bought more than a few things from Joe. You can usually catch him around Pittsburgh at a few shows.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blurryhaze312 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:16 am

The only problem with doing this is that there are only huge sizes available. If you are looking to wear one, you're lucky to even find a size 52. Everything is mostly +54.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 am

Yeah...i'm not as big as most of the players and i'm certainly not walking around wearing it with shoulder and elbow pads on.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Colonel on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:25 am

That was my co-workers worry. She said that she would need a size 52. I dont think she got it...you cant pick your size...haha. Whatever the player wears...that is the size you get. I only wear two of the game jerseys that I own...the others are put away until I can get them framed.

However, at the end of each season, the Penguins also sell Joe all of the practice jerseys too, and that is where you may be able to find a size 52. He had a few size 52's in the dark Blue 3rd logo practice jersey from this past season, but finding a 52 in a game jersey, is almost impossible.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby blurryhaze312 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:37 pm

I think Steve Sullivan might have had a 52...but there aren't many guys as small as him.

My biggest is a 50 but prefer 46 for arm length. Can't go that route with joe haha
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:12 am

Not exactly sure why anyone would buy a game worn or authentic jersey to wear around.... Mine doesn't leave it's case
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:58 am

I'm not sure why anyone would buy a jersey for any other reason than to wear it around. If have signed jerseys that I wear.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Colonel on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:40 am

High profile jerseys that mean a great deal to me, I will not wear, but a jersey that I got at a cheap price, and a player that is not a high profile player......why not wear it? For instance, I bought a Set #1 2010-2011 white Bortuzzo jersey off of him, and got it cheaper then a repica that you can buy at Dicks Sprorting Goods. Why spend that kind of money on a replica, or even a $385 quote authentic, when you can have something game worn for a fraction of the cost of a $385 jersey. So my Bortuzzo...yes, I will wear that one...and one other one I have I will wear also. I do draw the line on some jerseys that i own and mean more to me. Those ones I am afraid to wear. To me, wearing it, weather the player is still with the Pens or not, you are still supporting your team, with a jersey that was issued from the Penguins. You don't get any more authentic then that for the best quality jersey you could possibly wear.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:06 pm

I had a Marty Straka gamer that was too small for me. It was a 52 but the body & sleeves were shortened. Im 6'3". Ive always regretted selling that one. :face:
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Colonel on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:I had a Marty Straka gamer that was too small for me. It was a 52 but the body & sleeves were shortened. Im 6'3". Ive always regretted selling that one. :face:

Was that a third jersey? That would have been a nice to have. I always liked Straka. Back then the size 52's seemed normal for a player, cause the equipment was smaller....and so were the players. Everyone and everything is built up now. I have a goaltenders jersey from 1990, and It is so small compared to the goalie cut jerseys of today.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CERV96 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 pm

I miss the days when you bought an authentic jersey you were actually buying an authentic jersey. I blame reebok and the NHL for this. It's a shame that people pay $385.00 and not even get a jersey that the players actually wear.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Colonel on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:38 pm

CERV96 wrote:I miss the days when you bought an authentic jersey you were actually buying an authentic jersey. I blame reebok and the NHL for this. It's a shame that people pay $385.00 and not even get a jersey that the players actually wear.

Yeah, you got that right. I bought a "authentic" Gonchar back in 2008 from NHL.com...and thought I was getting an on ice jersey....yeah....not even close. Even the material is different from the gamers I have. Hence the reason I get a good game used jersey for cheap to wear, and not pay out the butt for a..........knockoff I guess you could call them. Back in the early 90's...you bought an authentic.....you got authentic. I agree with you and Reebok and the NHL.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Well, to be fair, a portion of the league uses them (1.0), and the Pens started using them when they were first introduced. It it is a shame that you can't get the 2.0 in retail though.

Maybe that will change. There was a run of 2.0 available this past season, but they didn't last long and there weren't any small sizes.

With you guys though on the Ultrafil jerseys; they are definitely my favorites, and I have a bunch of them.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Do people really buy, for example, a 10K Crosby game used jersey? I could see some rich dude buying one to donate to a charity, but is there really a market for this on an individual collector's level? I guess there is if he is selling them.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:52 pm

I'm too cheap to even spend $20 on a jersey-t......but apparently this is a market among the collectors.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:23 pm

How often do the players get a new jersey? For example, in the 41 away games the Penguins will play this year, how many different white jerseys will each player go through?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Colonel on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:07 pm

The market is there for a 10k Crosby Jersey. He has sold normerous Crosby and Lemieux jerseys at that price. A guy from New York bought the 3rd jersey Crosby wore when he got hit in the face with the puck this year. My son got a picture holding the jersey before Joe sold it, but I can bet it was at least 10k or higher.

As for how many jersey they get, there are usually a few sets they have on hand.

Set #1 preseason and 1st half regular season

Set #2 last half regular season

New jerseys are issued for the start of the playoffs, and if you make the SCF, you will get another new jersey. Plus they have game issued jerseys on hand at any given time in case one gets ruined during a game, from a big tear, or loads of blood, etc.

They can also make new jerseys such as when the Pens played in Sweden a couple years back. They wore a white and black jersey (home and road) for the two games they played. Those were special issue jerseys and didn't count toward the set #1's. My best estimated guess is that that if you get to the SCF, each player may have about 16 jerseys black and white combined. That includes the game issued jerseys that may never even be worn by that player.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CERV96 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:31 pm

I can't hold myself any longer. Everytime I see your user name I think of this.

CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Colonel on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Haha...I haven't seen that in a while. The Colonel is just the name of my car....just an easy user name to use.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:10 pm

The Colonel wrote:
Mango Salsa wrote:I had a Marty Straka gamer that was too small for me. It was a 52 but the body & sleeves were shortened. Im 6'3". Ive always regretted selling that one. :face:

Was that a third jersey? That would have been a nice to have. I always liked Straka. Back then the size 52's seemed normal for a player, cause the equipment was smaller....and so were the players. Everyone and everything is built up now. I have a goaltenders jersey from 1990, and It is so small compared to the goalie cut jerseys of today.

No, it was a white home jersey from the bankruptcy year (1998?) To save money they only used 2 sets that year so it was hammered with game wear. :thumb: I did a google search and I think this might be it. I remember it had a heavy black mark on the front but I thought I remembered it being on the crest. I know I didnt get anywhere near $2000 when I sold it lol

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/product ... 9-133.html
Last edited by Mango Salsa on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:13 pm

So I Married an Axe Murderer video in this thread. Nicely done.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Colonel on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:45 pm

If that was the Straka jersey.....AWESOME! The more marks, the better for me. A couple of mine have some good stick marks and puck marks....a board burn, but nothing like that.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JS© on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:05 pm

The Colonel wrote:New jerseys are issued for the start of the playoffs, and if you make the SCF, you will get another new jersey. Plus they have game issued jerseys on hand at any given time in case one gets ruined during a game, from a big tear, or loads of blood, etc.

I thought they only resold a number of those game-issued ones. I remember last year that he had ones for Engelland, Malkin, Cooke, Asham, and one other player, and he sold them for a fraction of what the gamers were being listed. He had Cooke's gamers going for $800 and I ended up picking his issued backup for $200; basically the price of a replica. Lucky for me, he had a signing last year at Pensgear so it's now signed. I didn't see any game-issued jerseys released this year. Not saying he hasn't released them, just haven't seen them.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Did it have the Reebok logo or the Reebok word above the player name on the back? If it was the logo, it was probably because the wordmark was about to be switched over to. I've typically only noticed game-issues of borderline players and guys that left or were traded.

That year is probably the exception.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins