Penguins Sign Forward Matt D’Agostini

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins Sign Forward Matt D’Agostini

Postby taz71 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:19 pm

know what if he makes the top 12 this year at 550k he is a salary cap gem. Not to mention he is on a two way contract giving us the flexibility to send him up and down to clear some cap space here and there.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:52 pm

taz71 wrote:know what if he makes the top 12 this year at 550k he is a salary cap gem. Not to mention he is on a two way contract giving us the flexibility to send him up and down to clear some cap space here and there.

Yep, good signing.

I am very intrigued by the fact that he put up 21 goals, and I wonder why the drop off happened...
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:02 pm

I skimmed over a few articles that stated that, while in St. Louis, he played both top-line minutes and on the 4th line. I'd assume the 21 goals came during his time on the top unit.

He states that he is looking for a fresh start, and the fact that he took $550 k (his previous cap hit was $1.65 mil.), I'd say he's serious about that.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:11 pm

topshelf wrote:I skimmed over a few articles that stated that, while in St. Louis, he played both top-line minutes and on the 4th line. I'd assume the 21 goals came during his time on the top unit.

His 21 goals came when he was filling in for Perron/Oshie on the top two lines iirc.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:30 pm

A very Shero esque move, I'll take it.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:39 pm

SolidSnake wrote:A very Shero esque move, I'll take it.

So was extending DB's contract? :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby taz71 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:41 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
topshelf wrote:I skimmed over a few articles that stated that, while in St. Louis, he played both top-line minutes and on the 4th line. I'd assume the 21 goals came during his time on the top unit.

His 21 goals came when he was filling in for Perron/Oshie on the top two lines iirc.

So it was a Testube kindof thing and we all know how that worked out. He became a reliable player for the Blue Jackets.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:52 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:D'Agostini should fit in nicely with Sutter. If they could sign Morrow to be the LW on that line, they would be set.

Think it'd be easy to package up Jokinen and Niskanen and get them moved? I'd still love Jokinen on this team just for depth, but I agree that we're lacking some grit.

Jokinen for depth? It's looking more like he's the 2nd line LW.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Jokinen as 2nd line winger?? Cough cough Beau Bennett cough cough.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 pm

columbia wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:A very Shero esque move, I'll take it.

So was extending DB's contract? :pop:

That was done by his evil twin brother Jay Shero
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:04 pm

pens2005 wrote:Jokinen as 2nd line winger?? Cough cough Beau Bennett cough cough.

Wait till October I guess. Not saying it's right, you do know who coaches this team, right?
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 pm

There's not much to D'Agostini's game. He's pretty average at everything, except his shot is good and his defensive/physicality is poor. He'd be a really good AHL scorer, but GMs think he can play some depth role and be effective...he hasn't to date. Probably his last one-way deal unless he figures it out here...

Fine with the signing because it's for league minimum, but it doesn't really help us. He's a worse player for the same role as Kennedy. Now, if we have three offensive lines and one shutdown line, then that changes things, but we don't have the ability to do that necessarily...

I can't find my notes on him right now (they aren't under NJ or StL, so I don't know, they must not be on my computer...) but he was either quick but not fast, or fast but not quick. I think it's the former. I know he can't play defense, I know he's not physical, he doesn't care all that much and he disappears for longer periods of time than most NHLers of any note...

If anything unfortunate should happen with Neal or Dupuis/Kunitz and he can fill in on the right side in the top-six, he might pot a few in relief, but all in all, he doesn't have a natural role with the team as I see it now...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Brett Sterling.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks Mikey, sure doesn't sound like a solution to much of anything except the PP at WBS.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby taz71 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Kid is 26 years old. LGP board complains and complains about age and wants a youthful player to step in. Here you go at the league minimum who will give some competition.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Gaucho wrote:Brett Sterling.

Except actually plays in the nhl. For several seasons. He's not a career ahler.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby taz71 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Gaucho wrote:Brett Sterling.

not Chris Conner either.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Looks like Shero/DB are going 3 offensive lines and 1 "checking" line...

Not sure how that will work out...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:So basically, he's a guy with a top-6 skill set who does extremely poorly when forced into a third or fourth line role?

Sounds about right.

Sounds like Jeffery with less skill.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:30 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:So basically, he's a guy with a top-6 skill set who does extremely poorly when forced into a third or fourth line role?

Sounds about right.

Sounds like Jeffery with less skill.

Safe to say Jeffrey is a goner. Package with Niskanen and get just a little grit....please....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:33 pm

mikey287 wrote:There's not much to D'Agostini's game. He's pretty average at everything, except his shot is good and his defensive/physicality is poor. He'd be a really good AHL scorer, but GMs think he can play some depth role and be effective...he hasn't to date. Probably his last one-way deal unless he figures it out here...

Fine with the signing because it's for league minimum, but it doesn't really help us. He's a worse player for the same role as Kennedy. Now, if we have three offensive lines and one shutdown line, then that changes things, but we don't have the ability to do that necessarily...

I can't find my notes on him right now (they aren't under NJ or StL, so I don't know, they must not be on my computer...) but he was either quick but not fast, or fast but not quick. I think it's the former. I know he can't play defense, I know he's not physical, he doesn't care all that much and he disappears for longer periods of time than most NHLers of any note...

If anything unfortunate should happen with Neal or Dupuis/Kunitz and he can fill in on the right side in the top-six, he might pot a few in relief, but all in all, he doesn't have a natural role with the team as I see it now...

your description of him reminds me of comrie
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Not a bad comparable, worse skill level but better skater.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:13 pm

Could just be depth. They're going to want to carry a 13th forward, before this signing Zolniercyzk might have been the leading candidate but he's a guy that could just as easily be in the AHL. I figured if the Pens signed any forwards it would be a bounce back candidate or someone under the radar that they think is capable of a bigger role, this signing appears to be the former.

I think they Jeffrey's probably going to get another look as a regular. Who knows how long that will last but they desperately need someone cheap to step up and bring value. D'Agostini another attempt at that.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:04 am

Another signing I dont get!? Why they just dont trust Jeffrey then.. Ok,it league minimum,but he is defensive liability,soft.. meh..

Jeffrey and Niskanen are probably gone in a few next days,I hope we get some physical player for 3rd line..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:21 am

The Pens are one of the best teams in the league with a legitimate shot at the Cup. I think this is a gamble for both sides of the equation. Great signing for the PENS; we can bury it if it doesn't work out or we can ride it through a successful campaign.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins