Game Worn Penguin Jerseys

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game Worn Penguin Jerseys

Postby The Colonel on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:20 pm

JS© wrote:
The Colonel wrote:New jerseys are issued for the start of the playoffs, and if you make the SCF, you will get another new jersey. Plus they have game issued jerseys on hand at any given time in case one gets ruined during a game, from a big tear, or loads of blood, etc.

I thought they only resold a number of those game-issued ones. I remember last year that he had ones for Engelland, Malkin, Cooke, Asham, and one other player, and he sold them for a fraction of what the gamers were being listed. He had Cooke's gamers going for $800 and I ended up picking his issued backup for $200; basically the price of a replica. Lucky for me, he had a signing last year at Pensgear so it's now signed. I didn't see any game-issued jerseys released this year. Not saying he hasn't released them, just haven't seen them.

Not sure if I realy understand, but he does have game issued ones from this season, but not many well known players. Engelland, Glass, MacIntyre, Morrow (Joe). Those are the names most of us would know. But he also has the alternate game issued too. Crosby for 2k.....Geno for 1k, Tangradi...and the ones mentioned above too. He did have a Crosby game issued in black and white, but they must have sold. As for playoff jerseys, he only has listed the home jerseys. I wonder myself where the road jerseys are?
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Alternates would be probably because the blue jerseys are done.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Colonel on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:56 am

The Penguins stated they will never wear those blue jerseys again. They paid a fine to the NHL because they told them that they will never wear them again after Crosby got hit, and that they had such bad luck. They basically breached their contrat with the jersey then.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:46 am

So they went from going cheap by wearing only 2 sets one season to paying fines for not wearing a specific jersey? Wow! times have changed for the organization. To go that far for a superstition too. I get it though.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimjom on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:29 am

Did I read that right, are preseason jerseys $150? Thinking about a Lerg 69.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blurryhaze312 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:16 am

The Colonel wrote:The Penguins stated they will never wear those blue jerseys again. They paid a fine to the NHL because they told them that they will never wear them again after Crosby got hit, and that they had such bad luck. They basically breached their contrat with the jersey then.

Right right. Which is why I meant that's might be why the game-issues for high-profile players are available...they will never use them again. :thumb:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Colonel on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:41 am

blurryhaze312 wrote:
The Colonel wrote:The Penguins stated they will never wear those blue jerseys again. They paid a fine to the NHL because they told them that they will never wear them again after Crosby got hit, and that they had such bad luck. They basically breached their contrat with the jersey then.

Right right. Which is why I meant that's might be why the game-issues for high-profile players are available...they will never use them again. :thumb:

Very true. You don't see many game issue high profile player jerseys.

Jimjom......yes....$150...and I know there are different years are even $100. I think he still has an Asham for $150 too. Now you see my point of why spend $385 at Consol for a quote authentic....when you can get a team 100% authentic for $200 cheaper. A no brainer for me. You cant get that kind of quality from a store.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:21 pm

The Colonel wrote:If that was the Straka jersey.....AWESOME! The more marks, the better for me. A couple of mine have some good stick marks and puck marks....a board burn, but nothing like that.

That and the customization made it really desirable. It was easily my favorite. Since the NHL cracked down on hooking and holding you rarely see jerseys beat up like that anymore.

I had a Randy Hillier home jersey from the late '80's that looed like it was attacked by pirannahs.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Colonel on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:
The Colonel wrote:If that was the Straka jersey.....AWESOME! The more marks, the better for me. A couple of mine have some good stick marks and puck marks....a board burn, but nothing like that.

That and the customization made it really desirable. It was easily my favorite. Since the NHL cracked down on hooking and holding you rarely see jerseys beat up like that anymore.

I had a Randy Hillier home jersey from the late '80's that looed like it was attacked by pirannahs.

Haha...I bet it does. Back then they didn't make as many jerseys as they do now for each player. The most marks and stick marks I have on a jersey is my Goligoski home jersey that he wore in the 2010 playoffs and was worn in the last game in the Civic Arena. There are some good stick marks on that one. As for puck marks, and even a spot of blood on the shoulder, is one of Frank Pietrangelo's home jerseys from 1990 with the all star patch. Good marks on that one, but you are right, back then they pretty much wore the jerseys until they fell off.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Colonel on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Joe updated his site today. He has some good deals on the "weekly sale" items. I may have to look into it myself. I am surprised he still has some of the 3rd logo practice jerseys left...of course they are larger in size.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JS© on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm

The Colonel wrote:
JS© wrote:
The Colonel wrote:New jerseys are issued for the start of the playoffs, and if you make the SCF, you will get another new jersey. Plus they have game issued jerseys on hand at any given time in case one gets ruined during a game, from a big tear, or loads of blood, etc.

I thought they only resold a number of those game-issued ones. I remember last year that he had ones for Engelland, Malkin, Cooke, Asham, and one other player, and he sold them for a fraction of what the gamers were being listed. He had Cooke's gamers going for $800 and I ended up picking his issued backup for $200; basically the price of a replica. Lucky for me, he had a signing last year at Pensgear so it's now signed. I didn't see any game-issued jerseys released this year. Not saying he hasn't released them, just haven't seen them.

Not sure if I realy understand, but he does have game issued ones from this season, but not many well known players. Engelland, Glass, MacIntyre, Morrow (Joe). Those are the names most of us would know. But he also has the alternate game issued too. Crosby for 2k.....Geno for 1k, Tangradi...and the ones mentioned above too. He did have a Crosby game issued in black and white, but they must have sold. As for playoff jerseys, he only has listed the home jerseys. I wonder myself where the road jerseys are?

It's basically what they are: game-issued but considered to be a backup since the certain group of players seemed to take more damage to their jerseys. If you check the back of the fight strap on this run of jerseys, you'll see that Dana wrote "backup" on it. Probably to prevent a secondary seller to pass it off as a game-worn:). I'm out of town at the moment, but when I get back tomorrow I'll snap a few pics of the Cooke jersey to show you what I mean.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:26 pm

jimjom wrote:Did I read that right, are preseason jerseys $150? Thinking about a Lerg 69.

yes. Those are mostly prospects/free agents that never made it past preseason, although there are a few that show up that are a current player with a "wrong" number (wrong, meaning a number that a player is no longer associated with). I think there's a few Bortuzzos floating around that are under $200.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Colonel on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:00 pm

JS© wrote:
jimjom wrote:Did I read that right, are preseason jerseys $150? Thinking about a Lerg 69.

yes. Those are mostly prospects/free agents that never made it past preseason, although there are a few that show up that are a current player with a "wrong" number (wrong, meaning a number that a player is no longer associated with). I think there's a few Bortuzzos floating around that are under $200.

I have Bortuzzo's home and away from the 2010-2011 1st set. Both used, but I got the home one cause it was worn in the first game at Consol Energy Center. It may have been a preseason jersey, but to me that preseason game against the wings was the 1st game ever...not the Flyer game.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins