Penguins Sign Forward Matt D’Agostini

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins Sign Forward Matt D’Agostini

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:59 am

taz71 wrote:Kid is 26 years old. LGP board complains and complains about age and wants a youthful player to step in. Here you go at the league minimum who will give some competition.

A 26 year old fringe NHLer is ancient.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:57 am

He's a ONE year signing at league MINIMIUM. He either works after 40 games or is jetisoned. No biggie, but brings the possibility to chip in some goals from the 3-4 lines and maybe a little 2nd pplay time.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:02 am

If D'A and Jokinen are our 3rd liners i am not feeling to good about the shutdown ability of that line. We know what we get from Sutter but those 2 i don't think can bring the the typew of game Cooke and Kennedy brought on the other side of the puck.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:03 am

Glad to see this is a 2-way deal. No risk...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:04 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
taz71 wrote:Kid is 26 years old. LGP board complains and complains about age and wants a youthful player to step in. Here you go at the league minimum who will give some competition.

Fringe? 4 seasons since playing in the ahl and 150 NHL games since then. This would have been a $2mil player a year ago that we get for min. There is no down side here. We now have enough top 6 fill ins to cover the inevitable injuries and plenty of defensive depth. It's a lot easier to fill in the bottom 6 at the deadline and that's all that's really missing now.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 am

I don't mean to be cynical, but this move seems more like a symptom of the problem (top heavy cap distribution leaving the bottom six pretty suspect) than a solution to the problem.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:07 am

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Fringe? 4 seasons since playing in the ahl and 150 NHL games since then. This would have been a $2mil player a year ago that we get for min. There is no down side here. We now have enough top 6 fill ins to cover the inevitable injuries and plenty of defensive depth. It's a lot easier to fill in the bottom 6 at the deadline and that's all that's really missing now.

I have no problem with the guy, but everything i've ever seen from him and also what everyone has said about him here, is that he's a guy that can contribute in the top 6 but can't really help in the bottom 6. Thats pretty fringe on a team that has 7 guys better than him for the top 6.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:22 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 am

I was coming here to post something along these lines, but I see Jesse has made my points for me and much more eloquently I might add. When I first saw this signing, I thought D'Agostini = a cheaper Kennedy. Bravo, Shero. Bravo.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:33 am

My question is: Why do the Pens need a cheaper Kennedy? Sure Kennedy was a little overpaid, but he was also not needed on this team. If they wanted to go to a 3rd scoring line, get rid of Sutter and keep Kennedy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:44 am

The Penguins need as many cheap, bottom 6 wingers as they can get at this point.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:46 am

Someone has to play on the 3rd line. How about a 3rd line guy for league minimum?
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:48 am

meow wrote:

I was coming here to post something along these lines, but I see Jesse has made my points for me and much more eloquently I might add. When I first saw this signing, I thought D'Agostini = a cheaper Kennedy. Bravo, Shero. Bravo.

D'A is almost the same type as Jokinen but 1.5 cheeper. THis allows you to trade Jokinen and Niskanin to get cap compliant. Also if you trade them you can get a grittier forward in return thusly adding that element back to your line up. Not sure what the market value of Brandon Morrow is but for the right price i wouldn't mind seeing him in a Pens jersey again.

Morrow might cost you 3M not sure if we could pull it off in cap space.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:49 am

Agreed, so why did they get a guy like D'Agostini that doesn't give you any consistent level of compete?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:54 am

A gamble/project. Like Boychuk, Comrie, Bourque, MacDonald etc etc.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 am

no name wrote:
meow wrote:

D'A is almost the same type as Jokinen but 1.5 cheeper. THis allows you to trade Jokinen and Niskanin to get cap compliant. Also if you trade them you can get a grittier forward in return thusly adding that element back to your line up. Not sure what the market value of Brandon Morrow is but for the right price i wouldn't mind seeing him in a Pens jersey again.

I think his cap hit was only around $2.5 million last year, so I'd think that number would go down.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:06 am

Morrow's cap hit was 4.1 last year. If Jokinen (2.1) and Nisky (2.3) are moved and Bortuzzo and Jeffrey are signed, the Pens would have approx. 3.3 in cap space. Shero likes to leave at least 1.0 in cap for call-ups, etc. so 2.3 would be available for a 2nd or 3rd liner. I think this is a little low compared to what Cleary or Morrow are seeking. Another option would be to trade Glass (1.1) replacing him with Zolneirczyk (.66) freeing up an additional 400k, which would probably allow the Pens to sign Cleary for around 2.75 and leaving 1.0 in cap space.

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Cleary Malkin Neal
D'Agostini Sutter Bennett
Jeffrey Vitale Adams
Zolnierczyk

This would be a much faster group of forwards than last year's roster.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:12 am

no name wrote:
meow wrote:

I think, with the signing of Matt D’Agostini the chances of Morrow returning are slim. The cap is tight as it is, and the Penguins still need to re-sign Jeffrey, Bortuzzo, and Zolnierczyk. They have two too many defenseman, so you'd figure one is gone -- most likely Niskanen, who is a third-pairing player making $2.3 million. That frees up some cash, as would trading Glass and his $1.1 million, as well as Jeffrey. Re-sign Zolnierczyk for his qualifying offer and Bortuzzo for two years at $600,000 per year and the Penguins suddenly have $2.26 million of cap space. It's not enough to add Morrow, I wouldn't think, but adding a $1 million feisty hitter for third line competition would create some depth while leaving cap space for a trade deadline deal or two.

FORWARDS
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Matt D'Agostini ($0.550m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.660m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,033,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,266,667
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:07 am

Gaucho wrote:A gamble/project. Like Boychuk, Comrie, Bourque, MacDonald etc etc.

Definitely a project, but I wouldn't consider him to be a "gamble" at that price.

I consider the Leaf's deal to Clarkson to be a gamble. :lol:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 am

topshelf wrote:
Gaucho wrote:A gamble/project. Like Boychuk, Comrie, Bourque, MacDonald etc etc.

Definitely a project, but I wouldn't consider him to be a "gamble" at that price.

I consider the Leaf's deal to Clarkson to be a gamble. :lol:

:lol:

A gamble implies there's something to lose in the situation. This is an NHL player on a depth contract, ya can't beat it.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:18 am

no name wrote:
meow wrote:

With Cooke gone you can easily move morrow to a comfortable spot on the LW where he would undoubtedly be a 30 goal scorer, playing on his comfortable wing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:24 pm

KG wrote:Glad to see this is a 2-way deal. No risk...

Apparently it's not, it's a 1 way.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:28 pm

40 you forgot the :roll:
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:37 pm

columbia wrote:I don't mean to be cynical, but this move seems more like a symptom of the problem (top heavy cap distribution leaving the bottom six pretty suspect) than a solution to the problem.

With the cap dropping this year it going to force us to pay bare min. to players. Next season we can go out and get some better 3rd and 4th liners. Got to figure with most of the top guys signed we will have some doe for quality upgrades on the 3rd and 4th line.

This seems to be the same with most teams riding the cap.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BuckintheLou on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:42 pm

taz71 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
topshelf wrote:I skimmed over a few articles that stated that, while in St. Louis, he played both top-line minutes and on the 4th line. I'd assume the 21 goals came during his time on the top unit.

His 21 goals came when he was filling in for Perron/Oshie on the top two lines iirc.

So it was a Testube kindof thing and we all know how that worked out. He became a reliable player for the Blue Jackets.

Seemed to flourish (if you can call it that) under Davis Payne in 2010/11. Not so much when Hitch arrived in the Lou. Missed approx 27 games in 11/12 (mostly due to injury). As stated by others, soff. I understand that the price was right but you gotta figure he's a 3rd/3th line type of guy. Got to be tougher than he's proven to play bottom 6.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins