Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Shyster on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:13 pm

malkinshair wrote:I'll admit that I wasn't particularly looking forward to this one. GTA IV disappointed me to the point of not coming close to finishing it, but V is starting to look pretty amazing.

I thought GTA IV was a big step backwards from San Andreas, and I barely finished the game myself. In addition to stuff missing that had been present in SA, I must admit that I didn’t really care for Niko Bellic. I thought Carl Johnson from SA was a much more interesting and compelling character. Carl was doing what he was doing in order to avenge his mother, clean up his neighborhood, help his family, etc. Niko seemed to me to be motivated mostly by money, including taking missions purely as a for-money hit man. Sure, there was the plot line that he was looking for the guy who turned traitor back during the war, but most of the time Niko is just willing to do anything to get paid.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Agree re: Bellic and Johnson. In addition, there was SO much more variety as far as scenery is concerned in SA. You had three distinct cities, as well as all of the countryside in between to explore, including small podunk towns in the middle of nowhere. The fact that GTA IV took place in just one huge city, with barely any change in surroundings outside of the size of the buildings, made it a lot less fun to explore.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:41 pm

GTAV looks amazing
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:46 pm

slappybrown wrote:GTAV looks amazing

Yeah, obviously they are going far beyond what they've done before, but they are taking more of an SA approach as opposed to a GTAIV approach.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:47 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

Yeah, obviously they are going far beyond what they've done before, but they are taking more of an SA approach as opposed to a GTAIV approach.

I never played SA
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:56 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Spangler wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Halfway through Zelda: Oracle of Ages right now. These old top down Zelda's are still sooooo good.

I need to play those 2 games again. I haven't played them in over 10 years. I feel like I was like the games better now since I pay more attention to stories more than I did at 13.

Link's Awakening is definitely my favorite Zelda non-console game.

The only thing I don't like about that game is the damn messages you have to scroll through every time you get certain items. That said, it's still a damn good game... probably agree about it being the best handheld Zelda. The Oracle games are pretty fun too, but I think I like LA the best... even though it has one of the lamest endings.
Spoiler:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:12 pm

This got me feeling nostalgic..

Spoiler:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:31 pm

slappybrown wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

I never played SA

It's the best of the GTA games IMO. If you played and liked any of the other games, I bet you'll like SA. It has a 93/100 aggregate score on Metacritic, which is only one point behind the score for Bioshock Infinite.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:42 pm

a little over a year ago i played thru vice city and san andreas again. i recommend them both on pc - im fairly certain theyre on steam. the ability to upscale to a 1920x1080 image on a big tv and use a 360 controller is awesome.

i think i like vice city more for the setting and story. i like the first part of san andreas a ton but get a little bored driving between the cities and doing the rpg stuff.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:a little over a year ago i played thru vice city and san andreas again. i recommend them both on pc - im fairly certain theyre on steam. the ability to upscale to a 1920x1080 image on a big tv and use a 360 controller is awesome.

Yes, they both are. If they keep to roughly the same schedule as in the past, the Steam summer sale should be due any time now. Rockstar games are always included in the Steam sales.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 pm

I started playing Vice City, but I dunno, it just seemed too dated to me (which it is, obviously). Oddly, I can play Doom and still love it as much as I used to, but for some reason I couldn't get into VC.

PS - That bomb planting helicopter mission sucks
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:01 pm

that might be my least favorite in the game. that and the heat inspired bank heist are definitely the most difficult. fav is definitely saving lance at the junk yard.

id add phil collins and russ ballard to the mp3 player. made the game more awesome.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Spangler on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:21 am

the wicked child wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
Spangler wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Halfway through Zelda: Oracle of Ages right now. These old top down Zelda's are still sooooo good.

I need to play those 2 games again. I haven't played them in over 10 years. I feel like I was like the games better now since I pay more attention to stories more than I did at 13.

Link's Awakening is definitely my favorite Zelda non-console game.

The only thing I don't like about that game is the damn messages you have to scroll through every time you get certain items. That said, it's still a damn good game... probably agree about it being the best handheld Zelda. The Oracle games are pretty fun too, but I think I like LA the best... even though it has one of the lamest endings.
Spoiler:

The Wind Wish has that unenthused, a-hole look to him.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:14 am

Spangler wrote:The Wind Wish has that unenthused, a-hole look to him.

Well, you figure, he was just there sleeping and dreaming until some ******* walked in and started a damn concert and woke him up. I'd be pissed too.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 am

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:29 am

I want to make Gretzky's head bleed.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 am

I'm gonna make Gretzky's head bleed for super fan 99 over here.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:44 am

Idoit40fans wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/modernized-version-nhl-94-appear-upcoming-nhl-14-120310660.html

Sold

Awesome.

NHL 94 really is the best hockey game ever.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:46 am

I always say if I could get updated rosters for NHL 94 , the original RBI Baseball for NES, and Madden 96, i'd happily pay more than the new games cost now. Such great games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:03 am

Working on collecting everything on Free Play on the boards in Lego LOTR. I've cleared like 11 of the 18 boards. Some of them are brutal if you miss stuff and have to play through again, the boards where you have to sneak around and everything is slow. The Dead Marsh board is one of those examples.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:29 am

Does anyone know if there are any of those old school 2D baseball games on NES or SNES or even the old PC ones available for purchase on any of those online systems like PSN or the others? I noticed one on PSN that was a neogeo game but I had never heard of it.

Also, I am posting about it in the thread in NPR, but the Out of the Park Baseball 14 is a *fantastic* Football Manager style of game for baseball. I'm having a blast with it.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:30 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I always say if I could get updated rosters for NHL 94 , the original RBI Baseball for NES, and Madden 96, i'd happily pay more than the new games cost now. Such great games.

I still have my NES hooked up just to play RBI baseball (and Tecmo Super Bowl from time to time).
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:32 am

I have one that I switch out with the Genesis on and off. Genesis is hooked up right now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I have one that I switch out with the Genesis on and off. Genesis is hooked up right now.

Do you have Deion Sanders PRIMETIME for it? One sports game I remember playing a bunch on the genesis.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 am

The only games I play on genesis are Madden 96, Streets of Rage 2 and 3, and NBA Jam
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR