Wedding Planning Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:08 pm

OutofFoil wrote:For the gemstones, they do start out as low quality Type IIa diamonds. The aforementioned high pressure and also the unmentioned ludicrous high temperature. We do however make completely synthetic diamonds for industrial use in many different grades along with cubic boron nitride. I've heard of completely synthetic gems being made, but not seen them... Jack Welch, former CEO of GE wrote about DeBeers being the only thing he couldn't beat in his book. We have an agreement with them and the GIA, thus why one doesn't see these stones on the retail market. Pretty much employees only and a few high end Jewelers... They are high end stones, basically I can get and IF, colorless stone for the same price as the same carat size SI1-2 stone g-h color.


Why is it necessary to have an agreement with DeBeers? You can just make them and sell them to whoever you want.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,708
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:10 pm

You'd be surprised at the strangle hold DeBeers has on the diamond market. Everything runs through them.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,719
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:09 am

schreibdog wrote:Planning for the rehearsal dinner and found out our #1 option (Luciano's in White Oak) is booked that day. Any ideas on other places to go for a rehearsal dinner in the South Hills? I'm striking out a bit on options. We'd like to be in the Elizabeth/Pleasant Hills area, but will certainly venture further if need be.


my wife is from Elizabeth, we had ours down at Mitchell's at the Waterfront, it was pretty nice. (we also got married in homestead though)

What about the Red Lion in downtown Elizabeth or Tillie's in McKeesport?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,132
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby schreibdog on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:01 am

Appreciate the feedback, yinz. Ended up talking to Luciano's and the people originally scheduled for our day were on the fence and decided to back out so we're going there after all. Thanks!
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,917
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:16 am
Location: South Park, PA

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
OutofFoil wrote:For the gemstones, they do start out as low quality Type IIa diamonds. The aforementioned high pressure and also the unmentioned ludicrous high temperature. We do however make completely synthetic diamonds for industrial use in many different grades along with cubic boron nitride. I've heard of completely synthetic gems being made, but not seen them... Jack Welch, former CEO of GE wrote about DeBeers being the only thing he couldn't beat in his book. We have an agreement with them and the GIA, thus why one doesn't see these stones on the retail market. Pretty much employees only and a few high end Jewelers... They are high end stones, basically I can get and IF, colorless stone for the same price as the same carat size SI1-2 stone g-h color.


Why is it necessary to have an agreement with DeBeers? You can just make them and sell them to whoever you want.


Probably for the same reason OPEC has an agreement with the guys who invented the water powered engine :wink:
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,428
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby OutofFoil on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:06 pm

count2infinity wrote:You'd be surprised at the strangle hold DeBeers has on the diamond market. Everything runs through them.


If one is involved in the diamond business, one does what DeBeers allows them to do. Bad things seem to happen to people/companies that do not comply.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 pm

eddysnake wrote:
schreibdog wrote:Planning for the rehearsal dinner and found out our #1 option (Luciano's in White Oak) is booked that day. Any ideas on other places to go for a rehearsal dinner in the South Hills? I'm striking out a bit on options. We'd like to be in the Elizabeth/Pleasant Hills area, but will certainly venture further if need be.


my wife is from Elizabeth, we had ours down at Mitchell's at the Waterfront, it was pretty nice. (we also got married in homestead though)

What about the Red Lion in downtown Elizabeth or Tillie's in McKeesport?

Tillies used to be so bomb. Now its just awful.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,394
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Chino Moreno Likes Toast!

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:42 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
schreibdog wrote:Planning for the rehearsal dinner and found out our #1 option (Luciano's in White Oak) is booked that day. Any ideas on other places to go for a rehearsal dinner in the South Hills? I'm striking out a bit on options. We'd like to be in the Elizabeth/Pleasant Hills area, but will certainly venture further if need be.


my wife is from Elizabeth, we had ours down at Mitchell's at the Waterfront, it was pretty nice. (we also got married in homestead though)

What about the Red Lion in downtown Elizabeth or Tillie's in McKeesport?

Tillies used to be so bomb. Now its just awful.


that's too bad. Haven't been there in a long time, guess that just got longer
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,132
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Just an idea, what would you think if you were invited to a Thursday night wedding? Would you take off work Friday for it? Or just say thats a stupid idea and pass?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,428
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:49 pm

so kind of wedding related.. bachelor party. i put the planning of my bachelor party in the hands of my best man and brother. it's supposed to be this weekend, so i asked what the plan was. there wasn't one. there were only 2 people other than them that were invited, the plan was just go to DC to my brother's place and go out drinking. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but thought it'd be more planned out, like go to a casino one night, go to a specific place the next, etc. I'm talking to them now about rescheduling for next weekend and go to pittsburgh instead, checking with everyone to make sure they're available to go and then book a hotel. i guess if it were my brother, or i was the best man, i'd take it upon myself to make it the last hurah, not just we'll go out drinking and that's that.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,719
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:50 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Just an idea, what would you think if you were invited to a Thursday night wedding? Would you take off work Friday for it? Or just say thats a stupid idea and pass?


i'd take work off and say it's stupid
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,132
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:50 pm

count2infinity wrote:so kind of wedding related.. bachelor party. i put the planning of my bachelor party in the hands of my best man and brother. it's supposed to be this weekend, so i asked what the plan was. there wasn't one. there were only 2 people other than them that were invited, the plan was just go to DC to my brother's place and go out drinking. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but thought it'd be more planned out, like go to a casino one night, go to a specific place the next, etc. I'm talking to them now about rescheduling for next weekend and go to pittsburgh instead, checking with everyone to make sure they're available to go and then book a hotel. i guess if it were my brother, or i was the best man, i'd take it upon myself to make it the last hurah, not just we'll go out drinking and that's that.


Im always the planner in my group of friends too. My buddy said "what do you want to do" and I said I thought we could find enough to keep us busy in AC for 3 days. He pulled out his phone and booked a hotel.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,766
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:51 pm

count2infinity wrote:so kind of wedding related.. bachelor party. i put the planning of my bachelor party in the hands of my best man and brother. it's supposed to be this weekend, so i asked what the plan was. there wasn't one. there were only 2 people other than them that were invited, the plan was just go to DC to my brother's place and go out drinking. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but thought it'd be more planned out, like go to a casino one night, go to a specific place the next, etc. I'm talking to them now about rescheduling for next weekend and go to pittsburgh instead, checking with everyone to make sure they're available to go and then book a hotel. i guess if it were my brother, or i was the best man, i'd take it upon myself to make it the last hurah, not just we'll go out drinking and that's that.


Yeah, I think I will be in the city that weekend. sounds fun. Thanks!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,132
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby Shyster on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:04 pm

count2infinity wrote:so kind of wedding related.. bachelor party. i put the planning of my bachelor party in the hands of my best man and brother. it's supposed to be this weekend, so i asked what the plan was. there wasn't one. there were only 2 people other than them that were invited, the plan was just go to DC to my brother's place and go out drinking. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but thought it'd be more planned out, like go to a casino one night, go to a specific place the next, etc. I'm talking to them now about rescheduling for next weekend and go to pittsburgh instead, checking with everyone to make sure they're available to go and then book a hotel. i guess if it were my brother, or i was the best man, i'd take it upon myself to make it the last hurah, not just we'll go out drinking and that's that.

That sounds like the best man dropped the ball. There should be more activities than just drinking. My brother got married last weekend, and I was the best man. For his bachelor party last month, the group of us (7 total) first went sporting-clays shooting, then for dinner and drinks at the downtown Sharp Edge, and then an optional trip to Blush downtown (many of the married men begged off). I also planned for attending an IMAX movie if the shooting didn't last long enough, but we took long enough that the movie wasn't necessary.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,218
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:05 pm

bachelor parties have become kind of a big deal with my friends because everyone has scattered across the country, got married, or moved to the suburbs (everyone except me that is 8-) ). its an excuse to get everyone together.

most have been weekends away like vegas, atlantic city, dewey beach. i think if it were me I'd want to plan a big tailgate and have it catered so we dont have to deal with the mess, then rent a private box at a pirates game. i hate golfing and if i was getting married i wouldnt see any reason to go to a night club.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,428
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:09 pm

for my brothers, we rented a house on the river up north for a weekend, cooked out, canoeing, yard games, etc. For mine, we went golfing, drank whiskey, and had a camp fire . Both were good times.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,132
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:09 pm

count2infinity wrote:so kind of wedding related.. bachelor party. i put the planning of my bachelor party in the hands of my best man and brother. it's supposed to be this weekend, so i asked what the plan was. there wasn't one. there were only 2 people other than them that were invited, the plan was just go to DC to my brother's place and go out drinking. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but thought it'd be more planned out, like go to a casino one night, go to a specific place the next, etc. I'm talking to them now about rescheduling for next weekend and go to pittsburgh instead, checking with everyone to make sure they're available to go and then book a hotel. i guess if it were my brother, or i was the best man, i'd take it upon myself to make it the last hurah, not just we'll go out drinking and that's that.


That kinda sucks. Seems like they just didn't plan anything and threw it together at the last minute.

Honestly, it doesn't have to be crazy, but it should at least include the people you want to be there and something to your liking.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,403
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:11 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:bachelor parties have become kind of a big deal with my friends because everyone has scattered across the country, got married, or moved to the suburbs (everyone except me that is 8-) ). its an excuse to get everyone together.

most have been weekends away like vegas, atlantic city, dewey beach. i think if it were me I'd want to plan a big tailgate and have it catered so we dont have to deal with the mess, then rent a private box at a pirates game. i hate golfing and if i was getting married i wouldnt see any reason to go to a night club.


the private box thing at a pirate game has always seemed like a good idea to this gentleman.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,091
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:12 pm

There is no template for a bachelor party IMO, but it should be at least thought out and include the grooms friends/family, and do something he would enjoy.

I've been to ones that ranged from going out of town for a long weekend for a sporting event and massive drinking, to picnics at someones house with poker and beer with just the guys.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,403
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:17 pm

newarenanow wrote:There is no template for a bachelor party IMO, but it should be at least thought out and include the grooms friends/family, and do something he would enjoy.

I've been to ones that ranged from going out of town for a long weekend for a sporting event and massive drinking, to picnics at someones house with poker and beer with just the guys.


a pitt football game would be idea, so long as pitt wouldnt actually play in the game. because we all know that pitt football ruins everyones fun.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,091
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby Shyster on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:18 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote: i hate golfing

Neither I nor my brother golf either. But we do shoot, so that's why we went sporting-clays shooting. There were several guys there who had never fired a shotgun at all, but everyone had a great time. A sporting activity is great for a bachelor party because it provides plenty of opportunity for bs-ing and casual insults, which are prized forms of male communication.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,218
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:19 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
newarenanow wrote:There is no template for a bachelor party IMO, but it should be at least thought out and include the grooms friends/family, and do something he would enjoy.

I've been to ones that ranged from going out of town for a long weekend for a sporting event and massive drinking, to picnics at someones house with poker and beer with just the guys.


a pitt football game would be idea, so long as pitt wouldnt actually play in the game. because we all know that pitt football ruins everyones fun.


Unless you are out of town at a stadium where you can drink at the Pitt FB game. Then it is a win.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,403
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Shyster wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote: i hate golfing

Neither I nor my brother golf either. But we do shoot, so that's why we went sporting-clays shooting. There were several guys there who had never fired a shotgun at all, but everyone had a great time. A sporting activity is great for a bachelor party because it provides plenty of opportunity for bs-ing and casual insults, which are prized forms of male communication.


We usually do golf during the summer, or bowling during the winter to kick things off at our in town bachelor parties.

Bowling is the best IMO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,403
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:24 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Shyster wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote: i hate golfing

Neither I nor my brother golf either. But we do shoot, so that's why we went sporting-clays shooting. There were several guys there who had never fired a shotgun at all, but everyone had a great time. A sporting activity is great for a bachelor party because it provides plenty of opportunity for bs-ing and casual insults, which are prized forms of male communication.


We usually do golf during the summer, or bowling during the winter to kick things off at our in town bachelor parties.

Bowling is the best IMO.


especially when it's BYOB
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,132
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:24 pm

newarenanow wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
newarenanow wrote:There is no template for a bachelor party IMO, but it should be at least thought out and include the grooms friends/family, and do something he would enjoy.

I've been to ones that ranged from going out of town for a long weekend for a sporting event and massive drinking, to picnics at someones house with poker and beer with just the guys.


a pitt football game would be idea, so long as pitt wouldnt actually play in the game. because we all know that pitt football ruins everyones fun.


Unless you are out of town at a stadium where you can drink at the Pitt FB game. Then it is a win.


last years notre dame game is a the perfect example of how pitt football can ruin great trips.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,091
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


e-mail