Comic Book Discussion

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Comic Book Discussion

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Yo. Mostly doing this to see if there are any other comic book nerds on this board like me. If so, let's talk everything comics here.

Who's your favorite comic book superhero? What are your favorite stories involving that hero? Favorite villain? First comic you read? DC or Marvel?

And anything else you want to talk about.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Comic Book Discussion

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:04 am

THere aren't many comic book people. I've made 2 or 3 threads like this and they all fail rapidly. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:20 am

I enjoy reading Batman graphic novels, when DC started over with the new 52, I decided to get Batman, Detective, Dark Knight and Batman & Robin in paperback. After about a year, I decided to cancel and wait for them to come out in graphic novel. It was easy to sit down and read, but I found myself being able to enjoy them more as a whole rather than waiting monthly for the next part. I also like the look of all the novels on my shelf better. Besides Batman, I'm also a big fan of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comics, and the ultimate collections they are putting out on hardback are absolutely killer, highly suggest those for any fan of comics.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1613770073
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am

I have been out of Marvel and Top Cow comics for like a year and kinda got out of DC as 52 was wrapping up. I want to get back into Top Cow soon then once I catch up, i'll probably catch up on some of the main DC titles. I'll probably never get fully back into it though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:31 am

Hellboy, Justice League Dark, and Swamp Thing are two I'd like to get into, but haven't found the time. Every once in a while, I take the kids to the local comic shop and we go through the old boxes and pick out .25 comics to read at home, I find that more fun than anything.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:34 am

I read a ton of comice, but not much superhero stuff besides Batman and Spider-Man.

I thoroughly enjoyed New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke, who is just awesome. His Parker novel adaptations are fabulous, too. I like Jeff Lemire's non-superhero stuff, Craig Thompson, Kyle Baker, Alan Moore, the Hernandez brothers, Chris Ware, Adrian Tomine, a lot of European artists, etc etc
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:34 am

Yeah, Marvel actually has an app that you can subscribe to that lets you backlog all of their books up until 6 months out. I may just start doing that. Its not like I talk to people that would spoil anything for me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:46 am

every time a thread like this pops up, i get mad all over again that the locke and key tv series got shelved.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:57 am

I collected the X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor and Wolverine comics in the 90s. I also enjoyed the Batman Knightfall story.

I have almost the complete collection of those series above, and have recently tried to finish them up.

I'd say Wolverine was my favorite back then, but Batman is my favorite overall.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:02 am

Personally I want to read the Marvel Zombies series, just for the weirdness factor.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:12 am

I find myself rereading Batman: Dark Victory the most of anything I have, really enjoy that. Any recommendations of graphic novels out there? I've already added farnham16 superman suggestions from the MoS discussions.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:13 am

I ran into Marvel Zombies while reading Exiles...didn't care for the idea.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:14 am

eddysnake wrote:I find myself rereading Batman: Dark Victory the most of anything I have, really enjoy that. Any recommendations of graphic novels out there? I've already added farnham16 superman suggestions from the MoS discussions.

Dark Victory is like a sequel to Long Halloween and I can't ever decide which I like more.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:23 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I find myself rereading Batman: Dark Victory the most of anything I have, really enjoy that. Any recommendations of graphic novels out there? I've already added farnham16 superman suggestions from the MoS discussions.

Dark Victory is like a sequel to Long Halloween and I can't ever decide which I like more.

general consensus seems to be that Long Halloween is better, and although I do like that, for whatever reason, I like Dark Victory better. I also really liked Night of the Owls from the batman reboot
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:33 am

Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Arkham Asylum, The Dark Knight Returns and The Killing Joke are all excellent. Hush is a bit predictable but very good. Knightfall is very good but frustrating. The entire story covers three graphic novels and once you hit the second book multiple issues are missing, making the story incomplete. I never finished the entire story arc. A Death in the Family is complete crap and I can't believe it gets good reviews.

As for the non-Batman comics that I've read: Watchmen is amazing but is a laborous read, Frank Miller's Sin City is very good, Garth Ennis' run on Punisher MAX is amazing, DMZ is good, 100 Bullets is good but largely forgettable. Last but not least: Preacher is the greatest thing ever written. Okay, maybe not the greatest thing ever written, but it is easily my most favorite comic series. I've ready it three times and I'm looking forward to the fourth.

I would love to see Preacher adapted for the screen if done properly. A few years ago Mark Steven Johnson, Garth Ennis, and Steve Dillon went to HBO with a direct adapation, using each issue of the comic as an episode in the show. HBO toyed with the idea until ultimately deciding the public backlash from the show would be too much. When HBO is worried about the content of the material, you know you're dealing with some crazy/amazing stuff.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 am

I did not like TDKR. If there was a legit Knightfall TBP or series of them, that would be amazing. That covered so many books though Shadow of the Bat, Legends of the Dark Knight, Detective, Batman, Batgirl, Catwoman and I think Knightwing and Robin. Possibly a couple others. It was such a big event. Preacher was awesome. I like to recommend Marvel's Exiles because you can jump into that and get introduced to a lot of characters without really needing to know anything else. Anything else Marvel or DC is eventually goign to connect to something that confuses you. The Darkness is probably my favorite book though, like volume 2-3 probably.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:42 am

Idoit40fans wrote:

Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb also teamed up for Catwoman, Superman, Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Hulk one-shots. They're all more or less awesome.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:45 am

Oh, and I think Grant Morrisson sucks.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 am

Gaucho wrote:Oh, and I think Grant Morrisson sucks.

I don't mind him, but he can make my brain hurt
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ajh2298 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 am

I liked a lot of the "fringe" super heroes DC had books for in the late 80's early 90's like Booster Gold, Firestorm, and Blue Beetle. But my main reads back than were The Flash(Barry Allen), JLA, and The Legion of Super Heroes. I would do other books like Superman and Batman if there was a crossover event going on or a storyline caught my eye. I did do a little Marvel from time to time like when Iron Man was hunting down all his stolen armor tech and I liked the West Coast Avengers also.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:41 am

I just go into the Secret Invasion storyline
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Really? Hmm. He wrote what many people consider the best Superman comic ever; All Star Superman.

My favorite has always been Superman. Some of my favorite Superman stories are Birthright, Red Son, Brainiac, and All Star Superman. I'm currently reading Superman Unchained by Scott Snyder and Jim Lee. Its only at #2 right now but so far its a very good take on the character.

Another New 52 book I'm just following is Batman Zero Year. Its also by Snyder and its an origin story. Also only two issues in but very solid to this point.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why Not Us on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Spoiler:

Mine is the legendary hero The Thrasher
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 pm

i stopped reading comics in high school. not because i grew out of them or anything, my step brother left behind a huge box of Marvel books from the 80's and 90's in his closet. some of them were fairly valuable, or at the least, pivotal for their titles. i tried to buy my own but i was broke, and since there was about a 15 year continuity gap i couldnt get interested again. buying the Amazing Spiderman #525 just didnt seem important since books pre- #200 was in that box, all the way up to Venom's 1st appearance. there was a crap ton of fantastic four as well, and about 500 assorted other ones.

eventually, he came back to get them and took the box...minus a few things...

anyway, my favorite of all time is/was Preacher, which i bought the whole series a few years ago. the first ones i read that pulled me into the whole deal was Secret Wars, and consequently made Dr. Doom my favorite villain, because he is god damned awesome in that mini series.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:57 pm

farnham16 wrote:

Really? Hmm. He wrote what many people consider the best Superman comic ever; All Star Superman.

My favorite has always been Superman. Some of my favorite Superman stories are Birthright, Red Son, Brainiac, and All Star Superman. I'm currently reading Superman Unchained by Scott Snyder and Jim Lee. Its only at #2 right now but so far its a very good take on the character.

Another New 52 book I'm just following is Batman Zero Year. Its also by Snyder and its an origin story. Also only two issues in but very solid to this point.

The only Superman I Know is Loeb/Sale's Superman for all Seasons, tbh. I'm not much of a Superman fan really. But I do think that Morrisson's Batman stories are weak and boring.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR