Anyone hear anything about Iginla, Morrow, Murray, & Juicy?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Anyone hear anything about Iginla, Morrow, Murray, & Jui

Postby RPKJr429 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:13 pm

penny lane wrote:
Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 2m "I never thought it would be as different." - IginlaRetweeted by Seth Rorabaugh
Reply to @SUNRandySportak @emptynetters

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 3m Iginla played LW in Pitt but it's expected he'll be a RW in BOS: "I do feel more comfortable on the right side."

Is Iginla referring to the position he played here or to his experience on the pens as a whole?
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
taz71 wrote:anyone really feel Pens got the wrong side of Iggy for 6mil? sad but true

I know he was played on the wrong side... ;)

Too bad for him he couldn't demonstrate he was the 1st or 2nd best RW on the team. He had plenty of time to prove it. (see Neal concussion)

Iggy was the 3rd best RW on our team. Guess that was why he ended up on the 3rd line last game of the year.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Man if Morrow would come back on a cheap deal I'd take it... No cap room though.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:22 pm

taz71 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
taz71 wrote:anyone really feel Pens got the wrong side of Iggy for 6mil? sad but true

Too bad for him he couldn't demonstrate he was the 1st or 2nd best RW on the team. He had plenty of time to prove it. (see Neal concussion)

Iggy was the 3rd best RW on our team. Guess that was why he ended up on the 3rd line last game of the year.

I don't undersand why you have such an axe to grind with Iginla. The lines should have been obvious....

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

In this case, it put everyone in their best chance to succeed. The only person that "switched" positions is Dupuis, who is versatile enough and has experience on both sides of center. Kunitz is a LW who has experience with Malkin and Neal. I will never understand why these lines were never given a fair shot. They just made too much sense.

But it really is pointless to continue the argument. You are obviously set in your opinion. Nothing is going to change that. I get it. It's fine.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
taz71 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

I don't undersand why you have such an axe to grind with Iginla. The lines should have been obvious....

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

In this case, it put everyone in their best chance to succeed. The only person that "switched" positions is Dupuis, who is versatile enough and has experience on both sides of center. Kunitz is a LW who has experience with Malkin and Neal. I will never understand why these lines were never given a fair shot. They just made too much sense.

But it really is pointless to continue the argument. You are obviously set in your opinion. Nothing is going to change that. I get it. It's fine.

Iggy wasn't conditioned well enough to play in our system. This was exposed at every position he played. There was never a moment when he seemed quick enough to keep up with his line mates.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Crankshaft wrote:I don't undersand why you have such an axe to grind with Iginla. The lines should have been obvious....

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

I agree with you about those lines. That was our best Top 6 on paper for last year.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:05 pm

I never argued Iggy was garbage. We just had 2 better options at RW and someone had to switch. Iggy said he had no problem with it at the time ... now pulls a take back. I guess so he can sign a 6mil contract and have an excuse for not pulling his 7mil contract weight. He should have been a leader and publicly stated he needed to play RW to be successful
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:16 pm

taz71 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:I don't undersand why you have such an axe to grind with Iginla. The lines should have been obvious....

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

I agree with you about those lines. That was our best Top 6 on paper for last year.

On paper yes. It makes me mad that Crosby broke his jaw. Not because of MVP or the scoring race, but because all of this crap about Iginla and weak side strong side crap would be over. We never got to see it though (except a couple games in Islanders series).

The lines would have played out like that down the stretch to get ready for the playoffs but Crosby broke his jaw, Neal got a concussion and we didn't have any time to play fit the pieces. Had Shero known those 2 injuries were coming and there wouldn't be time to experiment, I don't think he trades for Iginla.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Beveridge wrote:
taz71 wrote:

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

On paper yes. It makes me mad that Crosby broke his jaw. Not because of MVP or the scoring race, but because all of this crap about Iginla and weak side strong side crap would be over. We never got to see it though (except a couple games in Islanders series).

The lines would have played out like that down the stretch to get ready for the playoffs but Crosby broke his jaw, Neal got a concussion and we didn't have any time to play fit the pieces. Had Shero known those 2 injuries were coming and there wouldn't be time to experiment, I don't think he trades for Iginla.

You actually bring up a good point Beveridge...

Game 2 of the Islanders series was the first time that our entire team played together since the deadline deals.

That a very small turn around time to get guys comfortable and playing well together.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:30 pm

It was game 4 actually. Neal hurt his ankle in game 1 and missed games 2 and 3.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:54 pm

I agree with the both of you here:

never really had the time to develop chemistry with Crosby

had plenty of time to develop chemistry with Malkin tho
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:12 pm

RPKJr429 wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 2m "I never thought it would be as different." - IginlaRetweeted by Seth Rorabaugh

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 3m Iginla played LW in Pitt but it's expected he'll be a RW in BOS: "I do feel more comfortable on the right side."

Is Iginla referring to the position he played here or to his experience on the pens as a whole?

I posted this link in another thread. It should answer your question: http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2 ... y-penguins
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm still pissed Blysma never played the Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett line in the playoffs. They were tearing it up, and would have provided much needed offensive depth. Gotta have 3 lines that can score.

But that just goes to show that "time to develop chemistry" meant nothing to Blysma... he went with the lines he liked best, not the lines that were already producing.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TrueNorth on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Pitts wrote:
RPKJr429 wrote:
penny lane wrote:

I posted this link in another thread. It should answer your question: http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2 ... y-penguins

Interesting that the overture to sign with Boston apparently came from Iginla. That actually makes me feel worse about the signing--feels a little like he went cap in hand asking for a second chance.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby topshelf66 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:14 pm

Tinker with our first two lines from the playoffs all you like, we don't win that series.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:19 pm

I don't feel bad at all about the Iggy signing most I would have offered him is 3mil & he never fit in here. I wonder if he will work in Boston; I wouldn't bet on it.

BOTTOM LINE: Iggy went to the place with the best chance at a cup that could "show him the money"
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GreenLantern on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:59 pm

Iginla will fit better into Boston's system than he did in Pittsburgh. He is a talented guy with a great shot, but he made his fame by being a guy that was hard to play against. He has lost a step in that area, but being with the rest of those dirty scrubs in Boston should help boost that portion of his game.

I find it funny that people question his conditioning.. there is a difference between being out of shape and just being slow.. Iggy's speed has never been a strong point.

Bit of a steep price the Pens paid for his services, but I think in the end both sides will be better off. I was just starting to get used to seeing him in a Pens jersey too.. I did not expect Boston, and am not a big fan of their team make up or style of play. Going to be a tough pill to swallow but I still want to see him win a Cup.

I guess from this point on we will be enemies :P I had a lot of fun on this board and want to thank everyone for their great hospitality. I might still check in from time to time but my opinion on anything Pittsburgh will be very uninformed :D I look forward to being corrected...

Best of luck in the upcoming season.
GreenLantern

Postby TrueNorth on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:28 pm

I will always wonder how things would have played out had the Pens been in a position to offer Iggy a contract. If it meant continuing to play LW, a position he now admits he was not comfortable with, would that have given him pause to consider other options? Would he have approached Boston as a possible destination, given the likelihood of playing his preferred position (RW) and on a team that has as good a shot at the Cup as Pittsburgh? Would the results of the Boston series have convinced him that he had a better shot at winning the Cup with Boston than with Pittsburgh?

I have great respect and admiration for Iggy and wish him well, even though he and the Pens are now on opposite sides of the fence. Unfortunately, as long as he is with Boston, I will not be able to root for him to win the Cup that he so desires and so richly deserves.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby taz71 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:42 pm

GreenLantern wrote:Iginla will fit better into Boston's system than he did in Pittsburgh. He is a talented guy with a great shot, but he made his fame by being a guy that was hard to play against. He has lost a step in that area, but being with the rest of those dirty scrubs in Boston should help boost that portion of his game.

I find it funny that people question his conditioning.. there is a difference between being out of shape and just being slow.. Iggy's speed has never been a strong point.

Bit of a steep price the Pens paid for his services, but I think in the end both sides will be better off. I was just starting to get used to seeing him in a Pens jersey too.. I did not expect Boston, and am not a big fan of their team make up or style of play. Going to be a tough pill to swallow but I still want to see him win a Cup.

I guess from this point on we will be enemies :P I had a lot of fun on this board and want to thank everyone for their great hospitality. I might still check in from time to time but my opinion on anything Pittsburgh will be very uninformed :D I look forward to being corrected...

I will always wonder if Jarome could have build some chemistry with Dupuis-Crosby-Iggy if it weren't for the fractured jaw ...

There was one point in OT game 3 Jarome with speed coming at Rask from the RW through the crease. I wanted that goal. Would have been magic!
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rugbymuffin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Yep.

Wrong side of the bench.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rugbymuffin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:24 pm

taz71 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:Iginla will fit better into Boston's system than he did in Pittsburgh. He is a talented guy with a great shot, but he made his fame by being a guy that was hard to play against. He has lost a step in that area, but being with the rest of those dirty scrubs in Boston should help boost that portion of his game.

I will always wonder if Jarome could have build some chemistry with Dupuis-Crosby-Iggy if it weren't for the fractured jaw ...

There was one point in OT game 3 Jarome with speed coming at Rask from the RW through the crease. I wanted that goal. Would have been magic!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.......didn'ta.

Iginla is so over-hyped it is ridiculous. 1,000 and 1 excuses why he didn't produce. A "star" or "elite" player doesn't need 1,000 and 1 things setup correctly to produce.

As for the missed goal ? Perfect example of what he did for this team, which was being given the opportunity to do something and ended up dropping the ball all together when called upon.

Couldn't be happier he is in Boston.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Crosby and Malkin and Neal and.....didn't produce either.
What was their excuse?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
Pitts wrote:
RPKJr429 wrote:
penny lane wrote:

Interesting that the overture to sign with Boston apparently came from Iginla. That actually makes me feel worse about the signing--feels a little like he went cap in hand asking for a second chance.

I don't think that at all. I think Iginla was waiting/hoping something would happen with the Pens. But when he saw what the Pens were doing and had no real cap room, and that Horton was leaving Boston (as well as Peverly/Seguin), he saw an opportunity to find work.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Boston seemed like a odd place for Iginla, with the loss of Horton, Ference and Seguin and Pev. i don't see Boston being a better team to contend for the cup. Yes they got Erickson in that trade but overall i don't see them being a lock as a cup contender. I was never impressed with Iggy when he was here, alot slower than i ever thought he was.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rugbymuffin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:40 pm

columbia wrote:Crosby and Malkin and Neal and.....didn't produce either.
What was their excuse?

They have none.

But they didn't get traded for, hyped up, and then had a 1,000 and 1 excuses made for their bad play.

My point is for as good as Iginla was supposed to be, he sure seems to have a lot of needs, and precise scenarios for him to be "great".
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins