LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby pfim on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Shad Khan takes over at Fulham. Jax Jaguars fans weep.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... buy-Fulham
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:49 pm

pfim wrote:Shad Khan takes over at Fulham. Jax Jaguars fans weep.

Man, it might actually happen. It sure looks like he's positioning as much.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Interesting. I wonder if this means Fulham will be looking to make a big splash in this transfer window.

Also, this guy has a net worth of 1.65 billion pounds and is only the 179th richest person in the US? I had no idea we had so many billionaires.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:48 pm

So, we know Wondo can score against crap opposition.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:53 pm

largegarlic wrote:

Interesting. I wonder if this means Fulham will be looking to make a big splash in this transfer window.

Also, this guy has a net worth of 1.65 billion pounds and is only the 179th richest person in the US? I had no idea we had so many billionaires.

We shall see. Fulham still isn't a big name, all their success has really come in the last 10+ years. Recently, they have been able to draw decent names that were starting to decline, i.e. Berbatov, Duff, Riise, etc. I think Jol is a decent coach. If given time, I could see him turning them into a perennial Europa League team maybe akin to Everton under Moyes. I wouldn't be surprised if the new owner wants to bring in a bigger name that is his guy though.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:02 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:So, we know Wondo can score against crap opposition.

Yeah, I'm torn about how to rate Wondo. I used to be certain that he was one of those guys who could score in MLS, but didn't have the physical or technical attributes to succeed at the international level. I still think that, but I'm starting to have some doubts. I think any decent striker would have finished on 4 of the 6 goals he's scored in the past 3 games, but his 3rd goal vs. Belize and his 1st one against Cuba came from very well-timed runs, were tricky finishes, and were scored despite pretty tight marking. It will be interesting to see how he does in the tougher games going forward.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:53 pm

I haven't really watched Wondo enough to have a decent opinion on him. Along the lines of what you said, he seems to pop up in the right places at the rights times. That's not something you can teach nor is it something you can really defend. There is something to be said for that type of goal scorer even if he is never going to create goals on his own.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 am

largegarlic wrote:

Khan buying Fulham has more to do with the NFL than Fulham.

It's not as if Al-Fayed wasn't pumping money into Fulham. I don't see them spending much more than they have in the past.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:48 am

Team looked great once Klinsi got Brek Shea out of Castillo's way. The wide players got more narrow in the second letting the fullbacks fill that void.

Wondolowski was a late bloomer, even in the MLS. Up until about 4 years ago, he was more known for being a great athlete than a good soccer player. Still, it's tough to take much from him scoring goals against this competition. Will be interesting to see how he does the rest of the tournament.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:52 am

I hope Brek Shea is done with team USA on that point. I have yet to see a cap from him where it looked like he was capable of performing at this level. He is slow on his decision making, and still manages to make bad decisions.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 am

Rylan wrote:I hope Brek Shea is done with team USA on that point. I have yet to see a cap from him where it looked like he was capable of performing at this level. He is slow on his decision making, and still manages to make bad decisions.

To his defense, he's been injured and was rusty. But he is way too inconsistent to be in the national team setup. His value is that he provides a true wide option, something the US lacks in the midfield. Then again, I question whether they really need that.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:23 am

Rylan wrote:I hope Brek Shea is done with team USA on that point. I have yet to see a cap from him where it looked like he was capable of performing at this level. He is slow on his decision making, and still manages to make bad decisions.

I'm glad somebody else feels this way. It seems like so many US fans are convinced Shea has all this ability and just needs more opportunities to show it at the international level. From what I've seen, the only way he is effective is if he just pushes the ball by people out wide and can beat them with speed. He doesn't seem to have the technical ability or soccer brain to participate in a quick, short-passing game or beat defenders who don't let him get turned and push the ball by them. I hope he figures things out, but I'm not optimistic.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:38 am

largegarlic wrote:

I'm glad somebody else feels this way. It seems like so many US fans are convinced Shea has all this ability and just needs more opportunities to show it at the international level. From what I've seen, the only way he is effective is if he just pushes the ball by people out wide and can beat them with speed. He doesn't seem to have the technical ability or soccer brain to participate in a quick, short-passing game or beat defenders who don't let him get turned and push the ball by them. I hope he figures things out, but I'm not optimistic.

I can see there could be potential in him to be a valuable asset to the team, but he hasn't been improving from when I first saw him debut for the US. He makes the same mistakes and just seems to lack the creativity needed to be an effective attacking midfielder. But his physical tools are enough to maybe get him into these types of events, but I don't know how much more they can give him before its time to just say no.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:45 am

Shea trained with Arsenal back in January of 2012, it wasn't even considered a trial. I assume Wenger did it as a favor to Klinsmann because of their time together at Monaco. When no European teams showed any interest, I figured it was because Shea isn't all that good. Anytime I have watched him for the USMNT I have not been impressed. Stoke was actually toying with him as a fullback.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:52 am

Wynalda gets a bit annoying during broadcasts, but his point about Shea letting the ball bounce on those two cross-field passes was spot on. The guy lacks confidence and when he's off, he's like a black hole.

He's also an interesting case because up until 2-3 years ago, no one really knew what his best position was. He started as a wide player, many thought he would become a central striker, some even thought he'd be a better centerback. I think that's largely still the case, as is noted above, Stoke was looking at him as an outside back.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:55 am

pfim wrote:Wynalda gets a bit annoying during broadcasts, but his point about Shea letting the ball bounce on those two cross-field passes was spot on. The guy lacks confidence and when he's off, he's like a black hole.

He's also an interesting case because up until 2-3 years ago, no one really knew what his best position was. He started as a wide player, many thought he would become a central striker, some even thought he'd be a better centerback. I think that's largely still the case, as is noted above, Stoke was looking at him as an outside back.

I agree that an outside back would be a perfect placement for him. It would at least be worth experimenting with.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:31 am

So, that's why Donovan will be in the starting XI for 2014. No one else in the player pool could make that play, that quickly. It was world-class.

Midfield struggled, needed a holding player which Holden and Diskerud are not.

Strong at CB and in goal. I really like Johnson. Good chance he gets his shot after Guzan if his career progresses.

Costa Rica had no desire to attack, so in a way it was always going to be a patient wait for the goal. Still, the first half was very blah.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:33 am

Who made the pass up to Donovan? Was it Goodson? That was well placed as well. But, yeah, what a pass by Donovan.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 am

Kraftster wrote:Who made the pass up to Donovan? Was it Goodson? That was well placed as well. But, yeah, what a pass by Donovan.

I didn't see it but I heard it was Corona. That play harkens back to the Brazil match in the Confed Cup, the goal against Algeria in the last World Cup. Classic counter-attack, classic Donovan. No one on the US sees and understands space better than him.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:03 am

pfim wrote:So, that's why Donovan will be in the starting XI for 2014. No one else in the player pool could make that play, that quickly. It was world-class.

Midfield struggled, needed a holding player which Holden and Diskerud are not.

Strong at CB and in goal. I really like Johnson. Good chance he gets his shot after Guzan if his career progresses.

Costa Rica had no desire to attack, so in a way it was always going to be a patient wait for the goal. Still, the first half was very blah.

I'm not sure if you mean general player pool or the Gold Cup player pool. Bradley definitely has that pass in his locker. But your point stands that very few U.S. players would think of making that pass let alone being able to pull it off. I was always a basher of Donovan until the 2009 Confed Cup. That opened up my eyes to his play as did the 2010 WC. He really is incredibly valuable to the U.S. Too bad he isn't about 4 yrs younger.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:14 am

I'm not even sure Bradley has that sort of awareness in attack. At any rate, both of them will be on the field next summer. Hopefully in a team with Dempsey that pushes Donovan to wider areas where I think he's more influential than where he's been playing.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ossa on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:07 am

Manchester United is asking the Riverhounds for tape of Friday's game.

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevi ... -nice-job/
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:00 am

Yuck. Suarez to Arsenal sounding more and more likely.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:38 am

Ossa wrote:Manchester United is asking the Riverhounds for tape of Friday's game.

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevi ... -nice-job/

Was hoping to be in town for that match, but we're not coming in until Saturday...will be at the Sunday league match, however. Hopefully they still have some gas in the tank.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:27 am

RIP Bert Trautmann
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR