Official Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby BleuLineLady on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Alexei Ramirez would be my ideal pick up, he would be a major upgrade at SS. He would also solidify that position for the next couple years, once they get Barmes off the payroll after this year. He doesnt make much more than they're paying Barmes.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:20 pm

BleuLineLady wrote:Alexei Ramirez would be my ideal pick up, he would be a major upgrade at SS. He would also solidify that position for the next couple years, once they get Barmes off the payroll after this year. He doesnt make much more than they're paying Barmes.

He's not worth giving up a top prospect for, especially Polanco.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:24 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:Alexei Ramirez would be my ideal pick up, he would be a major upgrade at SS. He would also solidify that position for the next couple years, once they get Barmes off the payroll after this year. He doesnt make much more than they're paying Barmes.

I think you could make the Rios-Ramirez trade happen without Polanco (or Taillon), and if you can I think you have to do it. The Pirates just have to be willing to eat some salary. With this management, though, that's a tough sell.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BleuLineLady on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:27 pm

Crankshaft wrote:

If they can get him without giving up Polanco (Taillon is off the table, thats a given), but any other top prospect would be well worth giving up right now. Ramirez solidifies a position for another 2 years. The future for this team is now. You cant assume that this team will be in the same position next year.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:32 pm

Anyone remember when McHenry used to deliver timely hits?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BleuLineLady on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:33 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

I think you could make the Rios-Ramirez trade happen without Polanco (or Taillon), and if you can I think you have to do it. The Pirates just have to be willing to eat some salary. With this management, though, that's a tough sell.

I guess we'll really see how much ownership cares about having a winning team. If they do nothing or just a small move, it will show that ownership really does not care.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Thank you for participating Fort. Take your .178 and sit down.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:36 pm

Ended up not going to the game today since I've had such an awful sore throat for the last few days and got no sleep last night. Wife, mother in law, and brother went instead. They actually left after the 7th because it was so hot. I guess my wife almost passed out because of the heat. So I'm kind of glad I didn't go.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:38 pm

But now well never know where u parked.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Haha ill ask the wife.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Meh

19 games over and 56-37. Ill take it...
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:42 pm

This offense is beyond dreadful
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:43 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Thank you for participating Fort. Take your .178 and sit down.

Have to think Sanchez gets the call up late in the year. His defense is better and he can't hit much worse.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:40 pm

BleuLineLady wrote:I guess we'll really see how much ownership cares about having a winning team. If they do nothing or just a small move, it will show that ownership really does not care.

This crap again?

Midseason 2011: "If the Pirates don't make a trade then the Nuttings aren't serious about winning."- Pirates fans (they traded for Ludwick and Derrek Lee, but wisely didn't go in hard since the team wasn't that good)

Offseason 2011-12: "If the Pirates don't add payroll and bring in free agents the Nuttings aren't serious about winning."- Pirates fans (they signed Barmes and Barajas, traded for Burnett - 1 of those 3 worked out; also made significant offers to Oswalt and Edwin Jackson but were turned down)

Spring training, 2012: "If the Pirates don't extend McCutchen the Nuttings aren't serious about winning."- Pirates fans (Cutch signed to a friendly deal)

Mid-season 2012: "If the Pirates don't make a trade then the Nuttings aren't serious about winning."- Pirates fans (traded for Wandy, Snider and Gaby Sanchez; ditched McGehee in a move that backfired spectacularly when Chad Qualls showed up)

Off-season 2012-13: "If the Pirates don't spend money in the offseason the Nuttings don't care about winning."- Pirates fans (signed Martin and Liriano, which I'd say worked out pretty well)

At some point when will people accept that ownership does care about winning instead of moving the goalposts every time they do what people say the Pirates aren't going to do since they don't care? They've made it clear they aren't going to sacrifice their long-term vision for an incremental short-term upgrade. That may or may not be the best plan, and there's data points on both sides of it (the Blue Jays this year are a good example of why going all in can backfire, though every move they took made sense). If they think Taillon and Polanco have more value to Pirates teams down the road than they would whatever veteran those prospects would bring in, so be it. Management's far from perfect but at this point they've done enough that the "they don't care about winning" complaint should die a fiery death.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:47 pm

x2
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:47 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Thank you for participating Fort. Take your .178 and sit down.

Have to think Sanchez gets the call up late in the year. His defense is better and he can't hit much worse.

If they can't find the courage to dump He Who Shall Not Be Named, then McKenry is safe.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:49 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:This offense is beyond dreadful

They get runners on base. At some point the law of averages has to kick in with this team when they have runners on base, right?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Rocco wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:I guess we'll really see how much ownership cares about having a winning team. If they do nothing or just a small move, it will show that ownership really does not care.

This crap again?

Midseason 2011: "If the Pirates don't make a trade then the Nuttings aren't serious about winning."- Pirates fans (they traded for Ludwick and Derrek Lee, but wisely didn't go in hard since the team wasn't that good)

Offseason 2011-12: "If the Pirates don't add payroll and bring in free agents the Nuttings aren't serious about winning."- Pirates fans (they signed Barmes and Barajas, traded for Burnett - 1 of those 3 worked out; also made significant offers to Oswalt and Edwin Jackson but were turned down)

Spring training, 2012: "If the Pirates don't extend McCutchen the Nuttings aren't serious about winning."- Pirates fans (Cutch signed to a friendly deal)

Mid-season 2012: "If the Pirates don't make a trade then the Nuttings aren't serious about winning."- Pirates fans (traded for Wandy, Snider and Gaby Sanchez; ditched McGehee in a move that backfired spectacularly when Chad Qualls showed up)

Off-season 2012-13: "If the Pirates don't spend money in the offseason the Nuttings don't care about winning."- Pirates fans (signed Martin and Liriano, which I'd say worked out pretty well)

At some point when will people accept that ownership does care about winning instead of moving the goalposts every time they do what people say the Pirates aren't going to do since they don't care? They've made it clear they aren't going to sacrifice their long-term vision for an incremental short-term upgrade. That may or may not be the best plan, and there's data points on both sides of it (the Blue Jays this year are a good example of why going all in can backfire, though every move they took made sense). If they think Taillon and Polanco have more value to Pirates teams down the road than they would whatever veteran those prospects would bring in, so be it. Management's far from perfect but at this point they've done enough that the "they don't care about winning" complaint should die a fiery death.

Best Rocco post in a long time.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Rocco wrote:

This crap again?

welcome to the spoiled rotten Pittsburgh sports fan
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens2005 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Rocco wrote:

They get runners on base. At some point the law of averages has to kick in with this team when they have runners on base, right?

How's that been working out the last 2 years for them?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Pirates fans are spoiled rotten?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Rocco on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:05 pm

pens2005 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

How's that been working out the last 2 years for them?

Last year they had a slightly higher OPS with runners in scoring position. This year they are about 36 points worse.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:11 pm

columbia wrote:Pirates fans are spoiled rotten?

By fireworks and bobble heads maybe.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

This crap again?

When I come back from a hiatus, I like to come back spitting fire. I want to keep the people happy.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Rocco wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

This crap again?

When I come back from a hiatus, I like to come back spitting fire. I want to keep the people happy.

It happens on all sports in Pittsburgh. It truly is ridiculous. Can't wait to see the Steelers stink up the joint this year.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR