Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:57 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:Please tell me you use a megaphone for Dead & Bloated ala Scott Weiland.

No. He doesn't use the mic either. Just lowers the mic and belts it out. We've been playing it since back in the SR days. Crowds love it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:58 am

MRandall25 wrote:What, no Freebird?

....there's always this guy at every show
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:09 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:What, no Freebird?

....there's always this guy at every show

Well, when you say you play Sweet Home Alabama every show, Freebird becomes the next logical step.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:13 am

I watched High Fidelity for the first time this weekend...something about that scene where the nerdy guy is talking about Green Day's influences bothered me, maybe back in the 90's that was a reasonable conversation. But that was so cheezy when he played suspect device and someone at the store is like "is that the new green day?"
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 am

I disliked that film when it came out.....I can't imagine how much I would hate it, if I watched it now.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:35 am

I didn't hate it, but Cusak was comically unlikeable in that movie.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:40 am

I just didn't like all of the inside baseball, record store culture stuff.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:53 am

I was trying to make myself watch High Fidelity for a time, then realized that i resisted it because I was going to hate it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 am

Catherine Zeta-Jones.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cma3585 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:41 pm

New Avenged song out. Thing's got some mighty groove.

cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Mayhem Fest Saturday night was outstanding. Rob Zombie of course stole the show, 5FDP was great live, as was Amon Amarth. Got to see Born of Osiris just in time too, as we were running late. Best part? Right in the middle of a 5FDP song, the power went down. And didn't come back on for an hour and 15 minutes. Some drunk hit an electric pole and knocked it all out. Nobody knew what was going on, because there was no way to convey the message to us, so they found a megaphone, and went around section by section telling us what happened. Power finally comes back, 5FDP finishes, and Rob Zombie comes on.

Zombie plays his opening two songs, then says the following:
"Well everyone, I've got good news and I've got bad news, you decide which is which. The bad news is, all the roads leaving the venue are closed, and there's no word on when they'll be open. The good news is, you all are stuck at a heavy metal festival. I know, a dream come true. So we're just going to play until the roads are open, even if it means playing albums front to back! So let's turn this from a concert to a full-on-Rob-Zombie-f******-party in here!"

The national anthem was played by Johnny Five with his teeth, there were robots and drum solos and huge balloons being bounced in the audience. Most fun I've ever had at a show.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cma3585 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:45 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:Mayhem Fest Saturday night was outstanding. Rob Zombie of course stole the show, 5FDP was great live, as was Amon Amarth. Got to see Born of Osiris just in time too, as we were running late. Best part? Right in the middle of a 5FDP song, the power went down. And didn't come back on for an hour and 15 minutes. Some drunk hit an electric pole and knocked it all out. Nobody knew what was going on, because there was no way to convey the message to us, so they found a megaphone, and went around section by section telling us what happened. Power finally comes back, 5FDP finishes, and Rob Zombie comes on.

Zombie plays his opening two songs, then says the following:
"Well everyone, I've got good news and I've got bad news, you decide which is which. The bad news is, all the roads leaving the venue are closed, and there's no word on when they'll be open. The good news is, you all are stuck at a heavy metal festival. I know, a dream come true. So we're just going to play until the roads are open, even if it means playing albums front to back! So let's turn this from a concert to a full-on-Rob-Zombie-f******-party in here!"

The national anthem was played by Johnny Five with his teeth, there were robots and drum solos and huge balloons being bounced in the audience. Most fun I've ever had at a show.

My buddy and I got really cheap lawn tickets, watched Battlecross, Scorpion Child, Machine Head, Bodom, half of Amon, and like 6-7 songs of FFDP before heading out. Believe it or not, Scorpion Child probably put on the best sounding set on that tiny Sumerian Stage. There was like 40 people around. It was fantastic. I honestly didn't think FFDP sounded that great at all. It wasn't them that was the problem, it was the stage mix/loudness. We saw them on Trespass last year and they were infinitely better then so we just sort of said "screw it" and got out of Dodge. We're both at the point where we've seen Zombie enough to know what we're getting and even in his White Zombie days he was never a good live vocalist, so we couldn't even be bothered.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:47 pm

cma3585 wrote:New Avenged song out. Thing's got some mighty groove.

I like alot. Good groove. I like how they have seemed to have matured a bit musically. Good stuff.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:14 pm

My ex was really in to amon amarth. It was the only cd she had in her car, and i got really sick of listening to it
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Today would have been Ian Curtis' 57th birthday.

Had no idea there is an Ian Curtis wall in New Zealand. Story is that it somebody posted the message in 1981. City council has been painting over it since 2009, only for the message to reappear in the middle of the night. Finally it looks like Wellington City Council has given up the fight and are allowing the wall to be restored to it's 1981 form, even cracking a joke about how nobody knows who keeps repainting the message.

Wellington City Council spokesman Richard MacLean said: "In the tradition of the Curtis wall, the council is happy to turn a blind eye".

"It's supposed to be done in the early hours of the morning by persons unknown, so he's already broken one of the rules of the wall, but I would imagine we'll be fine with it, as I'd expect he'll do a pretty good job of it.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/ne ... t-memorial

IN PRAISE OF ... A SIGN ON THE WALL

Almost all graffiti is a blight, nothing more than the mindless scribblings of vandals. However, there are very rare occasions when an individual piece of graffiti holds such appeal, it comes to be seen as an integral part of the cityscape. The "Ian Curtis Wall" in Wellington's Wallace St is one of those rare examples.

A memorial to the Joy Division singer, who committed suicide in 1980, was first painted on a wall in the Mt Cook street in 1981. It mysteriously read: "Ian Curtis Lives". Over time, the message moved to a different section of wall as it was constantly painted over by council workers and rewritten by Curtis fans.

It also changed to read "Ian Curtis RIP". It baffled those who had never heard of the singer, but the sheer endurance of those who kept repainting it ensured it became an institution. So it was that when the council removed it again in 2009, there was a huge outcry.

The memorial was soon restored in chalk, and has now been repainted by Wellington artist Maurice Bennett. This time, the council says its anti-graffiti staff will turn a blind eye. That is as it should be. The Ian Curtis Wall can no longer be regarded as graffiti.

It has become what those who painted the original intended: a monument to someone who inspired them.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/co ... fuel-anger

or for the earlier pre-2009 version as seen on google maps: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=68+Walla ... GAPBSV519w
Last edited by JS© on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:32 pm

I don't need much incentive on that idea....

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm

or even going a little pre-JD

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:35 pm

I am extremely disappointed in the new A7X song. Guess ill stick to there metalcore sound.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:27 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:32 am

He does vocals for two tracks on the recent Mount Kimbie album. Meter, Pale, Tone is a cool song.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:34 am

I don't really remember Drivin N Cryin, but they are playing at a sports bar near my house on Friday.
Probably won't go...but I think that's odd.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:35 am

Troy Loney wrote:

He does vocals for two tracks on the recent Mount Kimbie album. Meter, Pale, Tone is a cool song.

Yeah, I checked it out after reading the article. Pretty good.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Somewhat mysteriously, Mazzy Star has returned:

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:52 pm

New Tool album in early 2014. Big news.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upc ... carey.html
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:21 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:New Tool album in early 2014. Big news.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upc ... carey.html

Meh
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR