GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby topshelf on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:15 am

BadHands71 wrote:
topshelf wrote:
MWB wrote:Having Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout. Poured aggressively, as instructed. Very little head. Ok, not great.

I'm a big stout and porter fan. Left Hand's isn't that hot.

I tried Southern Tier Creme Brulee last week and thought it was o.k. I've heard it's killer on draft, though.

If you want a good stout, pick this guy up:

Ten Fidy is a great stout. A few other imperial stouts that I love are Mission Dark Seas and North Coast Old Rasputin. I've said before that the Yeti collection from Great Divide are musts for any stout lover. If you want a good milk stout, try Lancasters. Most of their beers are unremarkable but Lancaster Milk Stout is really solid.

Dark Horse Brewing out of Michigan does a phenomenal imperial stout called Plead the Fifth. It's often tough to find in Pa but is worth looking for.

Nice! Thanks, man. I have to check out the Dark Horse.

Also, anyone in the Pittsburgh area try any of the Rivertowne brewing beers? Any good ones?

http://www.myrivertowne.com/brewing/index.asp
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:17 am

pssst... she's a girl.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:44 am

count2infinity wrote:pssst... she's a girl.

Oops... Force of habit. :oops:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:50 am

rivertowne IPAs are the best of the batch if you ask me. everything is average to above average. red ale isnt bad.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:55 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:rivertowne IPAs are the best of the batch if you ask me. everything is average to above average. red ale isnt bad.

Best of the local IPA's, or the best of their beers?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 am

Troy Loney wrote:Big Pour tickets go on sale 7/29. $75 again...atleast they aren't raising the price. Still an expensive three hours. still an awesome time, can't wait to drinks tons of awesome beer and eat great food.

Hmm, is there no food at beerfest? Not sure how else to explain the price difference. Beerfest is looking like 80+ breweries and 200+ beers.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Big Pour tickets go on sale 7/29. $75 again...atleast they aren't raising the price. Still an expensive three hours. still an awesome time, can't wait to drinks tons of awesome beer and eat great food.

Hmm, is there no food at beerfest? Not sure how else to explain the price difference. Beerfest is looking like 80+ breweries and 200+ beers.

Yeah, food situation is unlimited at big pour. all the trendy city restaurants will have stands alongside the brewers. I'd also assume that the big pour is just an all around better beer experience. So that beerfest has 80+ brewers...aside from the real local guys like east end and church, what you'll have is just like southern tier sending out kegs of the staples...so basically all those micro just sending out the IPA, the Stout, the lager/pilsner and maybe a seasonal? Meanwhile at big pour, you'll have everyone coming up with a seasonal (except unibrou and ommegang, they just bring the staples), i think it's more of a showcase for the brewers where a lot of the people from the breweries will actually show up.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BadHands71 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:39 pm

topshelf wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:
Ten Fidy is a great stout. A few other imperial stouts that I love are Mission Dark Seas and North Coast Old Rasputin. I've said before that the Yeti collection from Great Divide are musts for any stout lover. If you want a good milk stout, try Lancasters. Most of their beers are unremarkable but Lancaster Milk Stout is really solid.

Dark Horse Brewing out of Michigan does a phenomenal imperial stout called Plead the Fifth. It's often tough to find in Pa but is worth looking for.

Nice! Thanks, man. I have to check out the Dark Horse.

Also, anyone in the Pittsburgh area try any of the Rivertowne brewing beers? Any good ones?

http://www.myrivertowne.com/brewing/index.asp

No worries, common assumption around these parts. No offense taken.

As far as Rivertowne, the Old Wylie's isn't bad but far from my favorite IPA. Their Lager is a nice albeit unremarkable amber lager. Their Grateful White is a nice summer beer, a solid belgian wit. I also have a soft spot for their pineapple beer (it's a guilty pleasure) on those 95 degree with 95% humidity days. Far from awesome but it's easy to drink and i really like pineapple so that's part of it.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:20 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Oh, and the beer at North Country isn't anything to get excited about. the food is good though.

I had never even heard of that place...just checked the menu/site, looks cool.

They don't make any Imperial IPAs or anything extreme, but all of the beers are solid, tasty, and cheap. A growler refill is usually only $8 to $10. The food is also very good. If anyone wants to go, this would be a good time to do so, as SRU is out of session. When the college students are in town, waits to get a table can easily run more than an hour.

I grew up in Slippery Rock, and I find it amusing that my home town is now home to what I consider the best brewpub in western PA. Slipper Rock Borough and Township were both "dry" up until maybe 10 years ago.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Anyone familiar with Tired Hands Brewing Co in Ardmore, PA? I've never heard of it but noticed tonight that it has several highly regarded saisons.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Kraftster wrote:Anyone familiar with Tired Hands Brewing Co in Ardmore, PA? I've never heard of it but noticed tonight that it has several highly regarded saisons.

They make an obscene amount of beers, especially saisons. I'm actually headed down there in the next few weeks.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Had some Great Lakes, Lake Erie Monster tonight. Much more malty than I expected, but still pretty delicious. I wouldn't recommend it though on a hot day. very heavy.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:36 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Anyone familiar with Tired Hands Brewing Co in Ardmore, PA? I've never heard of it but noticed tonight that it has several highly regarded saisons.

They make an obscene amount of beers, especially saisons. I'm actually headed down there in the next few weeks.

Do they bottle many of them? Do you ever see them around?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Kraftster wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

Do they bottle many of them? Do you ever see them around?

Not yet. They've only been around for a year or two I believe. Right now it's strictly small batch stuff that you get at their Cafe in Ardmore.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:02 am

Had my first summer shandy, damn that was a perfet beer sitting in 90 degree weather. I can only describe it as crisp. Although not the kind of beer i can drink 2 in a row. I would have one of thoes then 2 Labatt bkue lights then i could go back to the shandy. It was called shock top i believe. I am sure most of you had one of these before but thought i would share.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 pm

the wicked child wrote:Have you tried Draai Laag in Millvale? They're only open Thursday and Friday evenings, but worth a visit if you enjoy Belgian style beers. Be sure to try the Aureus and the Simon Girty if they have them when you go.

There’s a Belgian-style brewery in Millvale—a quick and easy drive from where I live?

*ahem* WHY AM I UNAWARE OF THIS!?!
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:04 pm

I've only been to Millvale for a pretty shady operation in a warehouse on E. Ohio St.

Spoiler:
I had my **** stored there in between an inconvenient move.

Is there an actual commercial area?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:42 pm

topshelf wrote:
MWB wrote:Having Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout. Poured aggressively, as instructed. Very little head. Ok, not great.

I tried Southern Tier Creme Brulee last week and thought it was o.k. I've heard it's killer on draft, though.

Love love love the Ten Fidy. Punches you in the neck, then tells you it loves you.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BigMcK on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:49 pm

Goose Island IPA. God, it's not good. On draught, Bud sales guy bought me a pint seeing that I had a nice Firestone IPA that was just emptied. Three of us, even free, we pass.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Eismann wrote:
topshelf wrote:

Love love love the Ten Fidy. Punches you in the neck, then tells you it loves you.

Sounds like real love.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Wife found a sixer of St boisterous with enjoy by September 23 2007,still good? Been in back of a closet
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BadHands71 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:14 am

eddysnake wrote:Wife found a sixer of St boisterous with enjoy by September 23 2007,still good? Been in back of a closet

It's worth a shot. As long as it didn't get too hot you should be okay. Good luck with it. Just remember that the ABV is probably a good bit higher now... :thumb:
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JS© on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:53 am

BigMcK wrote:Goose Island IPA. God, it's not good. On draught, Bud sales guy bought me a pint seeing that I had a nice Firestone IPA that was just emptied. Three of us, even free, we pass.

I remember their beer being good several years back. I know they were sold to somebody in the mid 2000s (shortly after JS© discovered crafts, micros, imports, etc.), and although the taste changed it wasn't terrible. The place I used to go to always had this stuff on special, so when it was close to payday and I decided to stop for a post-work beer with co-workers, it was usually Goose IPA or Goose Brown Ale.

But once they became part of the InBev family - can't remember if they were absorbed by InBev or sold off from the company that originally bought them - their beer seemed to have a watered-down, "cheap" taste to it.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:23 am

Hitting up Draai Laag tonight and Church Brew tomorrow. I do believe a growler of Simon Girty is in my future.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:30 am

The more mass produced Goose Island stuff isn't great but good enough. I don't know what it used to taste like, though. Their more obscure offerings are excellent. All of the farmhouses that I've had are worth their cost (not cheap), and as far as I know, the Bourbon County series stuff is still extremely highly regarded. I wonder if the other stuff (IPA, Holiday, Brown, etc.) has seen significant changes while those have not?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR