Fantasy Football Discussion

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Fantasy Football Discussion

Postby opie22002 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:50 am

I'm starting to think ahead to the FF season. I was hoping to get some conversation going.

So here are a few random questions that I'd love to get opinions on.

1. In a standard league, who would you most like to draft at RB of the following: R. Bush, D. Wilson, D. Sproles

2. Besides Graham, which TE is worth targeting this year?

3. Who is your super sleeper?

4. With the depth at QB, are you waiting to draft one? If so, who would you target?

5. Rank the following first round talent in order of who will have the best season: Charles, McCoy, Rice, Spiller, Richardson.

6. Buying or selling Steven Jackson in Atlanta?

7. Will McFadden finally stay healthy?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Fantasy Football Discussion

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:32 am

1. Bush and Sproles are really close. With Sean Peyton back after his suspension, I look for Sproles to be used more in the offense.
2. Gonzalez - Witten - Gronk(if healthy) - Davis - Rudolph
3. Not really a super sleeper, but Robert Woods in Buffalo might be interesting...
4. If you can't get one of the big 3...I'd aim for Andrew Luck.
5. Charles - Rice - Richardson - Spiller - McCoy
6. Selling. I'll buy Jacquizz Rodgers
7. No.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:41 am

1. Do I have to take one? I'd rather draft another position and see who is left
2. Always Witten if he's available. You can always hope Davis has a healthy season with no legal issues, I always like Jared Cook
3. The RB Dallas drafted is probably a good risk as a sleeper
4. If one of the top few doesn't slip, i'm not targetting anyone, i'm just taking whats left
5. Rice, Charles, Richardson, McCoy, Spiller
6. Selling Jackson anywhere
7. lol.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 am

1. Bush
2. Davis, Bennett, Pettigrew
3. Not deepest but Ivory
4. See Idoit
5. Charles, Rice, McCoy, Richardson, Spiller
6. Definitely buying
7. No
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:06 am

Kraftster, was it you that was Steven Jackson's steadfast defender last year, or am I thinking of someone else? I remember there was one person on the board that talked up SJax constantly, maybe it was LITT??
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 am

Pretty sure it was LITT
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 am

Doesn't there have to be a way to "moneyball" fantasy football...? It's all stats and I'm in a salary capped league. Shouldn't there be a way for me to win or succeed mathematically, instead of trying to guess on talent (boy, this sounds like the exact opposite of me...)...

Has anyone ever thought about that (sorry, don't mean to try to hijack the thread)?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 am

No, I really don't think so. Baseball roto is the closest you can come to being able to do this (if you were going to consider it in other sports, it would have to be rotisserie style league). I use a spreadsheet for baseball and definitely should have won my league this year based upon my numbers. Turns out, you can never avoid guessing on talent and health (Hamilton and Granderson a combined 15 HR through the first half+).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Kraftster, was it you that was Steven Jackson's steadfast defender last year, or am I thinking of someone else? I remember there was one person on the board that talked up SJax constantly, maybe it was LITT??

I like Sjax and owned him, so it could have been me.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:38 am

We should probably get the football keeper league going for the year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:41 am

FINE
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 am

Kraftster wrote:No, I really don't think so. Baseball roto is the closest you can come to being able to do this (if you were going to consider it in other sports, it would have to be rotisserie style league). I use a spreadsheet for baseball and definitely should have won my league this year based upon my numbers. Turns out, you can never avoid guessing on talent and health (Hamilton and Granderson a combined 15 HR through the first half+).

You're probably right, but just for poops and chuckles...

Regardless of whether or not it's baseball or football or basketball (too much fluidity in hockey, in my opinion, but maybe that's because I over-think it) and regardless of whether it's H2H or rotisserie...don't you need X amount of yards, X amount of TDs, X amount of this or that per dollar to be successful...?

I feel there's got to be a way to use similar principles, even in rudimentary fashion, to make something successful...but yet again, I guess it's really no different than predicting the talent/health/breakout-ability that I/we already do...I'll play around with some numbers soon and just take a look at it...it'll give me something to do at work this week...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 am

Well, baseball works the best because there are by far the most statistics to work with in projecting numbers. In fact, you don't even need to make your own projections in baseball. You can go look at Streamer projections or ZiPS projections and just plug those numbers in. Those numbers are very much different from "expert projections" in football, hockey, or basketball. They are based upon significant sample sizes and a much more repetitive process (batter facing pitches/pitcher facing batters). Sure, circumstances change somewhat in a given at bat or from year to year with the protection one has in a lineup, but it is way, way easier to predict (accurately).

Rotisserie vs. head-to-head is also important. Take the LGP Fantasy Baseball league. I now have three prior seasons of standings that I can look at. If it took 250 HR to finish first in HR in one season, 242 in another, and 255 in another, I can pretty definitively declare that if I have a lineup that can hit 250 HR, I should be able to count on 11 or 12 points in that category. It doesn't matter to me if I get 100/250 HRs in the first month of the season or evenly throughout. I know I need to have a lineup that can combine for 250 HRs when all is said and done. With head-to-head, you cannot predict what you need in a given week because it depends upon what your opponent does. The best that you can do (in my experience) is calculate the average weekly score for each team in your league from the prior season and work with that. Don't even bother trying with head-to-head categories (vs. points). That is just far too much data to assimilate into anything usable.

I am also in a fantasy football league with a salary cap (auction style). Despite what I said above, I still do exactly what you are discussing before entering the auction draft. I look at the average weekly scores from the year prior and loosely determine what per week score I need to get. Lets say that I want 100 points per week from my team. If I play 16 weeks in a season, that means I need a team with 1600 points on the year. If I have $100 to spend in order to get 1600 points, that means that I need to get 16 points/$1 I spend. That is your big number that you can work with.

If Aaron Rodgers produced 160 points last year, I can spend up to $10 on him. Any more than that and I am overpaying, any less and I am getting a steal (allowing me to overpay on someone else later in the draft). I create a spreadsheet which assigns a FMV price for each player based upon last year's stats. This is a very useful guide for heading into your auction draft.

Still, there are several flaws.
1. You are counting on last year's stats. Again, this is very tough to do in football and hockey.
2. You are counting on last year's stats.
3. You are looking at total production, which ignores week-to-week consistency, which is critical in head-to-head.
4. Your model is premised upon total production and you could go out and put up 1800 points and miss the playoffs if the weeks/matchups fall the wrong way.

Still, its useful. If Matt Stafford is an $8 player based upon last year's numbers and he is due for a massive progression in TD (and therefore points), I need to be aware of that to know that I should be willing to maybe spend a bit more on him. In other words, the spreadsheet doesn't replace your research on how this year will differ from last year for all the players. In baseball, you could theoretically never watch games or the players that you are choosing and pick a team based purely on stats and projections and have a shot at winning.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 am

tldnr
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 am

Troy Loney wrote:Pretty sure it was LITT

yes.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:54 am

for qbs - stafford. he will be a top 3 qb this year. his TD numbers we such an aberration and bush will help pass catchign
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am

I lost Crabtree in my dynasty league and now only have Colston and Den. Moore. Pickings are very slim in the auction draft, so I would appreciate any non-rookie WR sleepers that folks have in mind.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:17 am

Boykin? Sanu?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 am

sanu >.<
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for the quality response, Kraftster. I have read and agreed to the terms. I'm going to fox around with the numbers in the same way that you do and just see how bad of a job I've done in the past and see what I can do to correct it in the future...if I can salvage my team at all...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:40 am

Is there a clear cut guy, or small group that would be a no brainer with the #1 pick (which I have) AD?? I know what he did last year but is he 100% healthy? I've never had so much as a top 5 pick in any league so I'm sure I'm in the brink of over thinking the whole thing.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 am

If someone doesn't take AP first overall, it better be in a keeper league where they have 3+ featured running backs on the fantasy team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:05 pm

1. Wilson, the other 2 will be PPR monsters though
2. None. It's graham then everyone else.
3. Is Tavon Austin really a sleeper? Percy Harvin with better physical skills, lots of yards after the catch
4. Yes waiting, looking at Kaepernick, Wilson, RG3, or Luck
5. This is based on them staying healthy. Spiller, Rice, Charles, Richardson, McCoy
6. Sell, he'll probably finish just outside top 10 RBs he's not gonna be great though IMO
7. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Is there a clear cut guy, or small group that would be a no brainer with the #1 pick (which I have) AD?? I know what he did last year but is he 100% healthy? I've never had so much as a top 5 pick in any league so I'm sure I'm in the brink of over thinking the whole thing.

ADP is as much of a clear cut 1 as we've had in recent years
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:43 pm

opie22002 wrote:I'm starting to think ahead to the FF season. I was hoping to get some conversation going.

So here are a few random questions that I'd love to get opinions on.

1. In a standard league, who would you most like to draft at RB of the following: R. Bush, D. Wilson, D. Sproles

2. Besides Graham, which TE is worth targeting this year?

3. Who is your super sleeper?

4. With the depth at QB, are you waiting to draft one? If so, who would you target?

5. Rank the following first round talent in order of who will have the best season: Charles, McCoy, Rice, Spiller, Richardson.

6. Buying or selling Steven Jackson in Atlanta?

7. Will McFadden finally stay healthy?

1. Wilson
2. Gronk is still my #2. Obvious high risks / high rewards
3. Not sure for regular, for my dynasty league startup this year I'm pretty big on Tannehill
4. Waiting. Can get a Stafford, Ryan, etc in late rounds.. really doesn't matter
5. Rice, Charles, Spiller, Richardson, McCoy
6. Buying, he's been a good real-life back in Stl.. just no td's. That'll change in Atl
7. lol
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to NHR