Civic Arena Memorabilia Auctions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Civic Arena Memorabilia Auctions

Postby nocera on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Ben Klingston wrote:
Factorial wrote:Cool, but good luck on getting 40K for that.

Right? I've watched Pawn Stars a few times.

I got a buddy who's an expert on historic all purpose arena signs, mind if I call him and have him take a look at it?

It's worth 40K retail, best I can do is thirty bucks.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:12 pm

Chum would give him about $100.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:38 pm

i have some 12' tall player vinyls that i got from the arena (the ones that were on the outside windows) during this, if anybody is interested in them. :pop: ill sell for a lot less than 40k
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:14 pm

They posted the entire wiki article in his auction, as if somebody who was bidding on this item didn't know where the letters came from. :lol:

So since this thread was bumped from the dead, what did everybody end up with? Aside from my coffee tables and end tables and the unlocked safe, I may have also walked out with an Aramark sign mentioning the limit of beer sales. Yes, a definite man cave item. I'm still curious what is in the safe, but I'm too cheap to pay the $100 minimum for a locksmith.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Colonel on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:08 pm

I got a pair of seats, the ice in the bottles, and I paid $160 for the section C "19 C 20" sign. I really wanted that sign cause the 1st game I ever went to in 1987 I sat in C19 Row A. The last section I sat in (last game in the arena) was C20 Row A. So I got the sign for the first and last section I was in. Plus I have the Wendell August tickets......last program...my regular tickets...last game jersey from Goligoski......I think I am good. Don't think I can get much else for me. Lol
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JS© on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:33 am

I also found a men's room sign and a beer menu. Those must have followed me out during my second visit.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Colonel on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:43 am

JS© wrote:I also found a men's room sign and a beer menu. Those must have followed me out during my second visit.

I saw lots of stuff trying to leave that night. One of the ushers took off after a guy taking a sign on the wall...they caught him...and I think they tossed him. Also a big banner coming off one of the seating entraces.....and they got that one. Three Rivers was way worse.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Ben Klingston wrote:
Factorial wrote:Cool, but good luck on getting 40K for that.

Right? I've watched Pawn Stars a few times.

Any of the dudes on Storage wars would appraise if for double that.

"here's a dresser with two missing drawers - it's not an antique, but I can still get 500 bucks for it"..
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 pm

The Colonel wrote:
JS© wrote:I also found a men's room sign and a beer menu. Those must have followed me out during my second visit.

I saw lots of stuff trying to leave that night. One of the ushers took off after a guy taking a sign on the wall...they caught him...and I think they tossed him. Also a big banner coming off one of the seating entraces.....and they got that one. Three Rivers was way worse.

This was well after the arena had been shut down. If they didn't leave with me, I'm 99% certain that they would have been in a landfill somewhere since AssetAuctions didn't list anything similar to it.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcmforless on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:12 pm

I got Goligoski's locker (which to me is as good as having a Neal locker :) ), a flat screen TV for my mother and an exit sign. I wanted to get a menu board and one of the goal lights, but missed out on them.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Colonel on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:08 pm

pcmforless wrote:I got Goligoski's locker (which to me is as good as having a Neal locker :) ), a flat screen TV for my mother and an exit sign. I wanted to get a menu board and one of the goal lights, but missed out on them.

Crap...that is something else I got speaking of menus.......but got it on Ebay. I got and Igloo Club tri fold Menu. I like things like the menu cause it gives you a timelne of sort. It states what the prices were in the Igloo Club when the arena closed. I love things like that. Kind of like my sign I got from Three Rivers Stadium that states all the ticket prices for each section to a Pirates game. Those were teh prices when it was torn down That is also a sort of timeline for me.

Great job on the locker! I will have to hang Gogo's jersey up on the locker you have.....then we can get pictures. haha
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcmforless on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:21 pm

The Colonel wrote:
pcmforless wrote:I got Goligoski's locker (which to me is as good as having a Neal locker :) ), a flat screen TV for my mother and an exit sign. I wanted to get a menu board and one of the goal lights, but missed out on them.

Crap...that is something else I got speaking of menus.......but got it on Ebay. I got and Igloo Club tri fold Menu. I like things like the menu cause it gives you a timelne of sort. It states what the prices were in the Igloo Club when the arena closed. I love things like that. Kind of like my sign I got from Three Rivers Stadium that states all the ticket prices for each section to a Pirates game. Those were teh prices when it was torn down That is also a sort of timeline for me.

Great job on the locker! I will have to hang Gogo's jersey up on the locker you have.....then we can get pictures. haha

I have a game worn 3rd (original Blues) Gogo jersey hanging in the locker already, but yeah, we will have to get yours in there for a picture as well. Gogo was an OK player, but from what it looks like we got for him in Neal and now that Malkin and Neal are locked up contract wise to play for a long time together, I think he will always be one of those mentioned players due to the great trade Shero pulled off.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Colonel on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:43 pm

pcmforless wrote:
The Colonel wrote:

I have a game worn 3rd (original Blues) Gogo jersey hanging in the locker already, but yeah, we will have to get yours in there for a picture as well. Gogo was an OK player, but from what it looks like we got for him in Neal and now that Malkin and Neal are locked up contract wise to play for a long time together, I think he will always be one of those mentioned players due to the great trade Shero pulled off.

I agree....he was an Ok player, and I dont think too many in Pittsburgh would disagree. That is one of my goals to get a blue jersey too...from someone. When I got Gogo's jersey, it was between his jersey or Mike Rupp's jersey from the last game in Civic Arena. I was going to go with Rupp, until I looked at the stats from game 7 against Montreal. Rupp had like 6:45 in ice time, and Alex had over 23 minutes. Plus Alex assisited on Jordan Staal's goal in that game which happend to be the last Penguin goal in Civic Arena. So obviously I switched to his jersey over Rupp's.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jimjom on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:22 pm

If you don't mind me asking, how much did a locker set you back?

I was happy with the item I won, the countdown to get it was a bidding war. It has documented historical significance, and it cost $66.

When I went in to pick it up, Ryan was super cool and let me and my dad wander around the place, and one of the security guards let us walk around the locker rooms and take pictures although mostly everything was gutted and the lights were out. It was a cool moment of closure for me though. My dad worked on the crew that dug the foundation for the Arena out so it meant a lot to him too.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcmforless on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:43 pm

jimjom wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how much did a locker set you back?

I was happy with the item I won, the countdown to get it was a bidding war. It has documented historical significance, and it cost $66.

When I went in to pick it up, Ryan was super cool and let me and my dad wander around the place, and one of the security guards let us walk around the locker rooms and take pictures although mostly everything was gutted and the lights were out. It was a cool moment of closure for me though. My dad worked on the crew that dug the foundation for the Arena out so it meant a lot to him too.

The GOGO locker ended up being one of the cheapest they sold (not a lot of love in Pittsburgh for him) and I think I paid right around $200. Yeah, we were allowed to wander around the building too and it was almost a bit spooky, but when you walked to what was center ice and looked around slowly in the darkness you could swear you heard goals being cheered... concerts being played....
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins