Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 5 Scrimmage recap up)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 3 recap up)

Postby columbia on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:24 pm

It doesn't keep Kennedy out of the league.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,509
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20

Postby JS© on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:03 pm

Penspal wrote:
Froggy wrote:
canaan wrote:how does one pronounce Nejezchleb?

Very carefully?


My lovely Czech wife tells me his last name translates into "Don't eat bread".


Dominik Uher wrote:@Uhi92 4h
Off to prague with richard dont eat bread

https://twitter.com/Uhi92/status/359072532210528257
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,238
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: training with lawnmowers and raging elephants.

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 3 recap up)

Postby sil on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:05 am

mikey287 wrote:Hockey sense will hold back MM quite a bit.


He should talk with Engellend then...doesn't seem to hold him back too much. :pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 3 recap up)

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 am

For me personally, I just would like to see the Pens pick at least one young forward every year and say, no matter what, this kid is playing 20 NHL games, at least 10 minutes per. I'm not saying like a lottery, but someone they see potential in. I get so sick of hearing the Pens and even many fans on LGP talk about the fact that these kids don't have NHL experience. Meanwhile, we get more years of a declining Craig Adams as no one has been groomed to take his spot. IMO, if a football player can learn a complicated NFL playbook at 21/22 in a very high visibility league, then a hockey player should be good to go at 19/20. Perhaps the NHL really does need to expand to force teams to cycle in youth faster (a very unpopular opinion I know but maybe more stars are out there waiting for their opportunity).
RisslingsMissingTeeth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 3 recap up)

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:06 am

Expansion seems pretty inevitable. I'm guessing there are 32 teams in the NHL before the NFL ends up back in LA.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,262
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 3 recap up)

Postby netwolf on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:09 am

Bioshock wrote:I seriously don't get Pens fans and their impatience with the young D core coming up. Remember, not everyone is Kris Letang and plays 1 year in the AHL.


I think part of it is getting spoiled to an extent with Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, etc, and the other part is less-than-hardcore fans not realizing NHL drafts is drastically different than NFL drafts, primarily because you're dealing with younger, less developed players.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,329
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 5 Scrimmage recap

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:14 am

I think its a big part of it is Bennett being the first forward that was able to force his way into the lineup based on merit. I do think Shero will stock WBS with a lot of 4th liners for some reason rather than building the depth so that he might need to give a chance to some younger guys. I don't think they really gain anything by doing this, but also really don't care as I think Bennett is the first one who has actually deserved anything.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,262
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 5 Scrimmage recap

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:38 am

I disagree that this is a perception thing on the part of fans. Signing a guy like Glass to fill out the roster, when you've got Vitale, Jeffrey, and Tangradi ready to compete for jobs on this team. I mean Vitale is about to be 28, and he's still getting treated like a 19 year old on a 10 game tryout.

Bennett made the team yes, but he was still scratched a plenty in the playoffs when he was one of the few guys making things happen in the O zone. It was depressing watching BB and Despres sit in the press box while Saad (a year younger than Bennett) and Krug play key roles for the Hawks and Bruins.

The team has a problem. They have few young forwards ready to contribute in part because the org doesn't draft forwards, and in part because they're not good at developing the ones they have.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 5 Scrimmage recap

Postby topshelf on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:30 am

pcm wrote:I disagree that this is a perception thing on the part of fans. Signing a guy like Glass to fill out the roster, when you've got Vitale, Jeffrey, and Tangradi ready to compete for jobs on this team. I mean Vitale is about to be 28, and he's still getting treated like a 19 year old on a 10 game tryout.

Bennett made the team yes, but he was still scratched a plenty in the playoffs when he was one of the few guys making things happen in the O zone. It was depressing watching BB and Despres sit in the press box while Saad (a year younger than Bennett) and Krug play key roles for the Hawks and Bruins.

The team has a problem. They have few young forwards ready to contribute in part because the org doesn't draft forwards, and in part because they're not good at developing the ones they have.


Glass deserved a roster spot over Tangradi.

Given the fact that we've had high picks since the team emerged from the dark ages of the mid 2000's, I'd say Shero has done a great job in the draft.
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,384
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 5 Scrimmage recap

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:18 pm

I'd much rather have Tangradi on the 4th line at half the price than Glass right now.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 5 Scrimmage recap

Postby topshelf on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:39 pm

pcm wrote:I'd much rather have Tangradi on the 4th line at half the price than Glass right now.


To be totally honest, I'd rather have neither of them, but Glass is a better penalty killer.
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,384
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 3 recap up)

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:33 am

mikey287 wrote:Hockey sense will hold back MM quite a bit.


Mikey what is your take on him? I remember when he was drafted there was talk about how he was a steal in the 4th round and that he was originally thought of maybe being a 1st round pick before his injury. He obviously didn't have a very good year in junior and from the sound of it he's got speed and tenacity going for him but not much else.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 am
Location: Virginia

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 5 Scrimmage recap

Postby netwolf on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:28 am

It appears Jean-Sebastien Dea did enough at development camp to merit a longer look. Fitzgerald mentioned they might have him play in the rookie tournament in September, and according to Dea himself via his Twitter account, he did get an invite.

https://twitter.com/jsdea10/status/362374970313150465
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,329
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 5 Scrimmage recap

Postby Penspal on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 pm

netwolf wrote:It appears Jean-Sebastien Dea did enough at development camp to merit a longer look. Fitzgerald mentioned they might have him play in the rookie tournament in September, and according to Dea himself via his Twitter account, he did get an invite.

https://twitter.com/jsdea10/status/362374970313150465


I like it when guys get chances, succed at that chance, and then get another. Definitely feeds the underdog in me.

Hopefully he continues to impress.
Last edited by Penspal on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,075
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: Filet-o-Fish Submarine

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20

Postby Penspal on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:39 pm

JS© wrote:
Penspal wrote:
Froggy wrote:
canaan wrote:how does one pronounce Nejezchleb?

Very carefully?


My lovely Czech wife tells me his last name translates into "Don't eat bread".


Dominik Uher wrote:@Uhi92 4h
Off to prague with richard dont eat bread

https://twitter.com/Uhi92/status/359072532210528257


Hehe, I hope Richard Nejezchleb (Dick Don'teatbreaed) can stick around wtih the Pens organization, they'll be some good nicknames for him.

And for some reason, it takes me back to a post many years ago about somebody seeing Jan Hrdina in a grocery store. They were freaked out by the fact he was squeezing many of hte loafs of bread ;) Having visited the Czech Republic a few times, its always refreshing to see how a different culture does things differentlys. Can't say I noticed that many bread squeezers when I was there though ;)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,075
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: Filet-o-Fish Submarine

Re: Pens Development Camp July 16-20 (Day 5 Scrimmage recap

Postby Penspal on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:23 am

Sadly, Richard Nejezchleb was released from his tryout contract. From the Official site...

"Following Pittsburgh’s participation in the rookie tournament in London, Ontario, the team released seven forwards from their amateur tryout contracts - Cameron Brace, Richard Nejezchleb, Liam O’Brien, Connor Rankin, Carter Rowney, Scott Simmonds and Cody Sylvester."

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681801&navid=DL|PIT|home
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,075
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: Filet-o-Fish Submarine

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

e-mail