LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby largegarlic on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Rocco wrote:Suarez thinks the British media hates him so he would move...to London.

I find this funny too.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Elsewhere in London, Spurs would be fools not to cash in on Bale if the rumored fee is even remotely accurate. The chances of him turning in another season as good as the last are near nil, so I'd say his value could only decline by the next window. That coupled with how the chance of him staying at London's third biggest club for much longer is also near nil makes this a pretty obvious decision for me.

85m for a guy who's had precisely one great season is insane, but it wouldn't be nearly as insane as Spurs refusing it.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Wow, that was a heck of a goal from Johnson. Great exchange between him and Donovan. This Gold Cup team certainly isn't the best US team ever, but it might be the most entertaining.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 pm

85m, really?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:20 pm

More importantly, is anyone willing ot pay it?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 pm

The new Liverpool kit, probably designed by an Everton fan:

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Representational argyle?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:52 pm

I am a Liverpool fan.... I really do not see Suarez transferring to another team in the EPL.

Rodgers told Arsenal to put up or shut up tonight.... Nothing less than 55 million pounds.

That being said, I see Suarez going to Madrid this summer.

I just want this whole saga closed ASAP
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:18 am

Forget Suarez, what do you think about the jersey?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:48 am

Gaucho wrote:Forget Suarez, what do you think about the jersey?

The third kit is even worse. http://www.footballkitnews.com/9837/new ... 2013-2014/
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:59 am

Holy crap...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:59 am

Loaf31 wrote:I am a Liverpool fan.... I really do not see Suarez transferring to another team in the EPL.

Rodgers told Arsenal to put up or shut up tonight.... Nothing less than 55 million pounds.

That being said, I see Suarez going to Madrid this summer.

I just want this whole saga closed ASAP

Suarez clearly has no loyalty, morals, or values. I don't want him because he brings all that with him. He already changed his tune from not wanting to play in England due to the media to he wants to play for a CL team. I wouldn't put it past him to end up anywhere.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 am

Those jerseys are terrible. I'm in favor of teams trying designs a little bit outside the box, because it's lame seeing the same basic Adidas and Nike jerseys on almost every team with only variations in color, but those go way too far. Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist, but some teams, like Liverpool, that are so closely associated with one color just should always wear that color, and then have a simple white alternate for games when they play someone who is also red.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 am

A couple of comments about last night's game:

Torres: It seems like he added a bit of size and his ability is upper-echelon for this team, and I so want him to be the player he can be...I want him to routinely put in 90 minutes of quality play. But once again, after a strong start, he disappears by half time. He's the most frustrating player on the roster IMO.

(Yo)Bedoya. Was it a breakout game for him last night? Definitely the most involved I remember seeing him. Fantastic match.

Parkhurst: Please, dear god, may he be left at home next summer. If I have to watch another set piece where he is at full stop staring almost admiringly at his man while that man rises unmarked to slam a header into the back of our net, I might just puke. He is by far my least favorite every-game starter in the XI.

Johnson: wow. very impressed with his intelligence - especially on the first goal. Seems supremely confident and sharp.

Wondo: IMO I think he's just mentally fragile. His movement at the start of the CR game was fantastic, but as soon as he missed a couple of chances, he's been frustrated and hasn't been the same since. He's running out of time to prove he can contribute against better competition, though I believe it's more of a self-fulfilling prophecy more than anything else. He and Torres need to see a sports shrink ASAP, IMO.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 pm

I don't see the fascination with Torres. To me, he seems like the Dustin Jefferey of the USMNT--some skill, but not enough tact...doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

It's pretty clear that Eddie Johnson and Landon Donovan don't really belong in this tournament...they look like men amongst boys. Hopefully they can take care of Panama in the Final and ride their 11 game win steak into the Hex.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:34 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I don't see the fascination with Torres. To me, he seems like the Dustin Jefferey of the USMNT--some skill, but not enough tact...doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

Considering how weak our outside midfield position is, he has enough talent and intelligence to be fighting for a starting position instead of fighting just to make the WC squad. I think he has all the tools to be better than Zusi, for instance. But he's clearly not.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 pm

I think Torres has very good technical ability, and he keeps getting tons of playing time for pretty good Mexican teams (I think he's with Tigres now?). I'm wondering if his style just doesn't mesh with the way Klinsmann wants the US to play. In my opinion, Klinsmann is trying to turn the US into Germany-lite (a good thing, I think). He wants them to play a possession oriented game, but one that is a high-tempo, north/south type of game--play one and two touch, keep the ball moving, and go forward every time you have a sliver of an opening. Torres seems more suited to the slower, east/west type of possession game that Mexico (and other Hispanic teams) have traditionally played. He's more comfortable slowing things down, taking extra touches, playing the ball back or sideways, etc. than keeping his foot on the gas and going forward.

In my own humble career, I've had problems meshing with Hispanic players sometimes for this reason. I had a Dutch coach growing up who emphasized possession, but with quick passing and quick movement forward when it was on. Sometimes playing with Hispanic guys, I'll make a run, they'll take 3-4 touches, I'll give up on the run since I don't think they're going to play it, and then they'll play it and call me a stupid gringo for stopping my run. Or I'll get the ball, see the space open up going forward, see the guy who should make the run, and then play it first time, but then have my teammate not make the run because he assumes I would take a couple touches or play backwards a couple more times before we went forward.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:44 pm

I've really expected big things out of Bedoya and Torres in the past and have been left disappointed. Same goes for Eddie Johnson.

At next years WC, I would expect Klinsmann's front 6 to look something like this next year:
Altidore
X - Dempsey - Lando
Bradley - Jones
Nobody recently has shown me enough that they deserve that other winger/midfield position.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:47 pm

I thought I was just going to take a season off from EPL and have Blackburn back, but now they're not back :scared: Who should I follow this year?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Swansea
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Norwich
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:25 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:I've really expected big things out of Bedoya and Torres in the past and have been left disappointed. Same goes for Eddie Johnson.

At next years WC, I would expect Klinsmann's front 6 to look something like this next year:
Altidore
X - Dempsey - Lando
Bradley - Jones
Nobody recently has shown me enough that they deserve that other winger/midfield position.

I think Zusi has had a pretty good year. That position is probably his to lose at this point.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:12 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Swansea
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:22 pm

GaryRissling wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:I've really expected big things out of Bedoya and Torres in the past and have been left disappointed. Same goes for Eddie Johnson.

Altidore
X - Dempsey - Lando
Bradley - Jones

I think Zusi has had a pretty good year. That position is probably his to lose at this point.

Yeah, I think that left mid spot is probably Zusi's (or Donovan's, if Zusi plays on the right). The only other somewhat likely possibility that I see is playing Fabian Johnson there, if we're comfortable with Beasley at LB (I don't think I'm entirely comfortable with him there, but it seems Klinsmann might be).
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:06 pm

I def agree with your reservations about Beasley. He makes a lot of defensive mistakes but gets away with it due to his speed. Better teams will make him pay though. Plus I've never trusted him after the Czech Republic match (I remember counting 14 times where he immediately lost possession after taking his first touch).
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR