LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:35 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:Neither should be pushing any agenda on anybody,...

We disagree here but probably only because the definition of "pushing an agenda" on someone is different for different people.

For me it simply means my religious belief system should not affect how someone lives their life and the choices they are able to make, and vice versa.

Ah, but to a Christian, how we live, what we say, and what we do should have an affect on how someone lives their lives. It's kind of the point to our faith :D We should act Christ like and when people know us they should say, "I can tell that person is a Christian." because he seems like what Christ would have been like.

All that being said....I am a terrible example.... :)
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:38 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:It is a race

Right, but I think the star is more of a symbol of the religious point of it. Whites, blacks, Asians, etc, don't have a symbol for their race.

I guess, but considering that it wasn't first mentioned until the 12th century and wasn't even used until the 17th century means it's fairly new to the Jews who have been around for about 7,000 years give or take...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:44 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:It is a race

Right, but I think the star is more of a symbol of the religious point of it. Whites, blacks, Asians, etc, don't have a symbol for their race.

I guess, but considering that it wasn't first mentioned until the 12th century and wasn't even used until the 17th century means it's fairly new to the Jews who have been around for about 7,000 years give or take...

Eh, the length of it's existence is only important up until these events took place. The fact is it was a symbol for a whole people to be persecuted and killed under. But it was also a symbol of hope and unity for some. And also a symbol of self-resentment and loathing for others. It's encompassing of the vast majority of the Holocaust's victims, so from an Atheist that believes in separation of church and state, I see no issue here.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:46 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:Neither should be pushing any agenda on anybody,...

We disagree here but probably only because the definition of "pushing an agenda" on someone is different for different people.

For me it simply means my religious belief system should not affect how someone lives their life and the choices they are able to make, and vice versa.

Ah, but to a Christian, how we live, what we say, and what we do should have an affect on how someone lives their lives. It's kind of the point to our faith :D We should act Christ like and when people know us they should say, "I can tell that person is a Christian." because he seems like what Christ would have been like.

All that being said....I am a terrible example.... :)

Haha I know the feeling. Growing up and raised a Christian, my heart was never there, and I always felt guilty saying I was one. Mom always told me to tell my friends and kids (when I have them) about Jesus and God, but if your heart just isn't there, it's tough.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:16 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:WOW really makes the rest of us look bad.

There are people in all faith bases that make those of us who go about our lives and keep to ourselves look very bad. Fortunately for you, the crazies in your group don't grab the media attention like the crazies in mine. :D
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:26 pm

The Jews are most definitely not a "race".
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Gaucho wrote:The Jews are most definitely not a "race".

:thumb:

Just like the Amish are not a race either.
Last edited by Factorial on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 pm

They are an ethnoreligious group. They share in culture, tradition, and faith.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:34 pm

topshelf wrote:

They are an ethnoreligious group. They share in culture, tradition, and faith.

Yes.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Factorial wrote:

:thumb:

Just like the Amish are not a race either.

Right. The confusion comes because members of the groups like the Amish and the Jews share characteristics that are also associated with one's "ethnicity" (heritage, homeland, faith), but they are not a "race".

Edited to add: It can get even more confusing when these ethnoreligious groups have stronger ethnic ties than some races.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Willie Kool on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Why are they even building a Holocaust memorial there? I fail to see any correlation between the Ohio Statehouse and the Holocaust. To me it's just more BS political pandering. Much like the Erie councilman that secured a beam from the WTC and wants to build a 9/11 memorial in Erie. Why?
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Can't you feel it, now that Spring has come? That it's time to live in the scattered sun.

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Willie Kool wrote:Why are they even building a Holocaust memorial there? I fail to see any correlation between the Ohio Statehouse and the Holocaust. To me it's just more BS political pandering. Much like the Erie councilman that secured a beam from the WTC and wants to build a 9/11 memorial in Erie. Why?

Someone may have put up some money to see the Holocaust memorial there.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Willie Kool on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:39 pm

Yes, it is to be privately funded, but that's not the point. IMO, it's a matter of being inappropriate. The Ohio Statehouse is a historic site that celebrates US and Ohio history. Any memorial of this kind just doesn't belong there. It's like putting up an Egyptian Museum on the mall in DC.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Can't you feel it, now that Spring has come? That it's time to live in the scattered sun.

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Willie Kool wrote:Yes, it is to be privately funded, but that's not the point. IMO, it's a matter of being inappropriate. The Ohio Statehouse is a historic site that celebrates US and Ohio history. Any memorial of this kind just doesn't belong there. It's like putting up an Egyptian Museum on the mall in DC.

I've always thought that the Washington Monument was a bit silly......but your point stands.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Willie Kool wrote:Yes, it is to be privately funded, but that's not the point. IMO, it's a matter of being inappropriate. The Ohio Statehouse is a historic site that celebrates US and Ohio history. Any memorial of this kind just doesn't belong there. It's like putting up an Egyptian Museum on the mall in DC.

If it's done in a way that it provides educational opportunities, then I'm all for it. I think "doesn't belong there" is a bit harsh.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Willie Kool on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:11 pm

topshelf wrote:If it's done in a way that it provides educational opportunities, then I'm all for it. I think "doesn't belong there" is a bit harsh.

Harsh? It's just reality. There is no relationship between the history of Ohio and the Holocaust. Every other monument there is dedicated to the history of that state. I can see no logical reason for it to be there.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
topshelf wrote:If it's done in a way that it provides educational opportunities, then I'm all for it. I think "doesn't belong there" is a bit harsh.

Harsh? It's just reality. There is no relationship between the history of Ohio and the Holocaust. Every other monument there is dedicated to the history of that state. I can see no logical reason for it to be there.

Eh... it's just a group that wants to educate people on a tragedy that took place and took the lives of many, many people (not just Jews). It was a crime against humanity, and they feel the need to remember the incident and pay homage to those who lost their lives. It'll probably be a good spot for school field trips and whatnot. No harm there... if people don't care for it then they don't have to go.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Its ohio. Let them have something interesting.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Willie Kool on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:43 pm

topshelf wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:

Eh... it's just a group that wants to educate people on a tragedy that took place and took the lives of many, many people (not just Jews). It was a crime against humanity, and they feel the need to remember the incident and pay homage to those who lost their lives. It'll probably be a good spot for school field trips and whatnot. No harm there... if people don't care for it then they don't have to go.

I guess they should just ignore 150+ years of tradition, and depart completely from the spirit of the place. The current art and sculpture tell the story of Ohio, so it's already a great place for school field trips. If they really need to build a monument commemorating genocide on the Statehouse property, they should probably keep with the theme and go with the one committed against the indigenous peoples of Ohio.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:03 pm

If anyone has the chance, Google the story about Bush 41 shaving his head in solidarity with the two year old son of one of his Secret Service detail that is battling leukemia. The picture is awesome.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:10 am

shafnutz05 wrote:If anyone has the chance, Google the story about Bush 41 shaving his head in solidarity with the two year old son of one of his Secret Service detail that is battling leukemia. The picture is awesome.

Very Cool

Bill Clinton ‏@billclinton 13h
41, you look great. Love what you're doing. MT @jgm41 41 shaved his head to show solidarity w 2-year-old Patrick

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:45 am

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:46 am

I thought you were a Star Wars fan? :wink:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:29 am

The case of ‘zombie’ voters in South Carolina.

South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson (R), on Fox News, Jan. 21, 2012 wrote:We just recently learned that there are over 900 individuals who had died before the election (and had voted) and at least 600 of those individuals had died way outside the window that an absentee ballot could have been sent, so we know for a fact that there are deceased people whose identities are being used in elections in South Carolina.

It turns out the claims of 953 votes by dead people actually involved not one election but 74 elections over a seven-year period.

So SLED’s investigation centered on 207 votes that allegedly were made by dead people in the Nov. 2, 2010 election — when a total of 1,365,480 votes were cast — after officials concluded that that batch constituted a “representative sampling” of the alleged voting irregularities. (Note that the number of alleged dead votes was less than 2/10,000th of all of the votes cast in that election.)

The report confirms what the State Election Commission had found after preliminarily examining some of the allegations: The so-called votes by dead people were the result of clerical errors or mistaken identities.

For instance, sometimes a son had the same name as a deceased father, and poll workers mixed up a dead father with a living son. (This happened 92 times in the initial probe, and then further investigation found seven more examples.)

In 56 cases, there was “bad data matching,” in which the DMV records had the Social Security of a dead person associated with a living voter. The living voter — with a different name and birth date — properly cast a ballot. Thirty-two votes attributed to dead people were simply the result of too-sensitive scanners.

In one case, someone cast an absentee ballot before dying; their vote still counts under the law. In two other cases, people requested an absentee ballot, but died before returning it, so no harm was done. In other cases, the wrong voter was marked as having cast a vote, and then the marks were not completely erased. There were several other types of clerical errors, too numerous to mention.

In other words, no zombie voters — just egg on the face of the politicians who promoted these “facts” across national television. So do they have any regrets?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fac ... litics_pop
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Video of train crash in Northern Spain. Fair warning: not pleasant to watch.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jul/25/santiago-de-compostela-train-crash-cctv-video
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR