LGP NASCAR Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP NASCAR Thread

Postby relantel on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 pm

left behind a five year old son. Best cup finish was 10th at Homestead in his rookie season in 2001. Also had a pole that year at Kansas. Raced but 73 times in the Cup series, but really was a racer's racer. Kind of a Kenny Schrader type - race anywhere anyhow, no matter how big or small a stage.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Truex leads the most laps and wins at Sonoma, his first win in 218 races, dating back to the Spring Dover race driving for DEI in 2007. 2nd longest drought between wins, just 8 shy of Bill Elliott's streak of 226 (1994 to 2001, snapped at Homestead, when he won from the pole in the #9 Dodge for Ray Evernham, passing teammate Casey Atwood with 5 to go).
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:39 pm

I am not the biggest Danica fan, but Kyle Petty criticizing her as not being a "race car driver" is absolutely rich.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Johnson had his 2nd fastest qual time disallowed for being too low -- will have to start 43rd today with a fast car. Kesolowski on pole, HMS cars fast, Kurt Busch as well.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 am

Very refreshing to see Vickers win yesterday...he's been through a lot, was one of the most gratifying victories I've seen in a while. Certainly beats watching the 48 win again.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Very refreshing to see Vickers win yesterday...he's been through a lot, was one of the most gratifying victories I've seen in a while. Certainly beats watching the 48 win again.

Vickers had been almost 4 years, albeit only 75 starts, since his last win (running for Red Bull at Michigan in August 2009). It's a good story, and puts the 55 team in the owners' chase (2nd wildcard slot).
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:45 am

Vickers looked great. Apparently, Aaron's is the holdup in him getting the 55 full-time ride, although Childers said "it was a done deal" when interviewed.

KuBu was the class of the field, but idiotically took it three wide, lost some wind from Kenseth's car, and took out Newman, who himself had been having a pretty bad week. That's too bad for Kurt. He should be in the Chase field right now. Aside from being 9th coming in and running up front all day, he also has 2-3 DNFs where he was also running up front. That man can wheel the car. I hope he makes the Chase.

Meanwhile, Newman tried to wreck Kyle right before the incident with Kurt but missed. I shouted it when I saw it on TV. After the race, Kyle impliedly blamed Newman for the incident with Kurt and also called Newman an "idiot" and an "ogre." Newman had a bad week. He lost his job next year, but I think he should end up at Penske or RCR with Quicken loans. He's better than most of the alternatives.

Kyle is probably my Chase pick--he, Kenseth, and JJ have been the class of the field this year. As Kyle revealed in his post-race interview, he hasn't finished worse than sixth in races where hasn't wrecked or had a mechanical problem.

What a season for Hamlin. He runs the whole race a lap down after a penalty. He gets the car back into the top ten, and he and Grubb (mostly Grubb) decide to pit because they're worried about the right front. He restarts 20th than nearly kills Stewart as he's running out of gas to fall to 21. Just think: Denny nearly lapped the field at both Loudon races last year. What a change a season makes.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:55 am

I wouldn't be surprised if both Outback and QuickenLoans followed Newman where he goes. Kind of like how Budweiser followed Harvick to Stewart-Haas.

There are seats open. 29 at RCR is open, though many assume Austin Dillon will come up from the Nationwide series and run the 3 in Cup. It's about time to see the 3 back on the track, IMHO. Harvick leaving provides that opportunity for the 29 to again become the 3. Will RCR do it now? That's the good question. I would think they would want a longer term commitment than a single season for someone else to fill the seat, but you never know.

The story of yesterday's race has to be the pit calls late. Those that took 4 tires never made it back up through the field. I thought the 78 or 20 would have been able to do it, but they got into each other.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:01 pm

relantel wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if both Outback and QuickenLoans followed Newman where he goes. Kind of like how Budweiser followed Harvick to Stewart-Haas.

There are seats open. 29 at RCR is open, though many assume Austin Dillon will come up from the Nationwide series and run the 3 in Cup. It's about time to see the 3 back on the track, IMHO. Harvick leaving provides that opportunity for the 29 to again become the 3. Will RCR do it now? That's the good question. I would think they would want a longer term commitment than a single season for someone else to fill the seat, but you never know.

The story of yesterday's race has to be the pit calls late. Those that took 4 tires never made it back up through the field. I thought the 78 or 20 would have been able to do it, but they got into each other.

Indeed, Quicken will not be back with SHR. They've also increased their presence---they advertise a lot on commercial in addition to the 18 races on Newman's car. There is at least one seat open at RCR, but Austin looks like he'll get it but struggle like Stenhouse. That leaves a 4th seat at RFR, JGR, RCR, and a 3rd at Penske the only options. Penske might make sense for Newman, given his success there, if he can bring sponsorship. It seems like Kurt has flirted with RCR for a while. I could see him taking a seat there, but he makes the sponsorship game harder. I'd love to see Monster get on board with a 4th JGR team. Imagine Hamlin, Kenseth, Busch, and Busch on JGR. That would be 4 of the top 7-8 drivers in the sport on same team.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Trucks at Eldora tonight...

fastest in the three practices yesterday - Lyle Larson, Austin Dillon and Darrell Wallace, Jr.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:47 pm

NBC signs 10 year deal worth $4 billion to televise 20 races, 7 on NBC and 13 on NBCSN. They also pick up the rights to a lot of NW and other NASCAR events. Good riddance, TNT. Fox's deal, which was 7 years and for the first half of the season was $2.4 billion. That's a lot of money.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:13 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:NBC signs 10 year deal worth $4 billion to televise 20 races, 7 on NBC and 13 on NBCSN. They also pick up the rights to a lot of NW and other NASCAR events. Good riddance, TNT. Fox's deal, which was 7 years and for the first half of the season was $2.4 billion. That's a lot of money.

Surprised ESPN let themselves get outbid.

I don't know. Part of me wishes some of the flavor of the track controlling the rights (pre 2001) was still there. You always knew Daytona was on CBS. Wilkesboro and Bristol were ESPN. Some were TNN. ABC had some. NBC had Homestead. It's how radio is still handled (though it's either MRN or PRN, and most affiliates of one are affiliates of the other, except for Indianapolis, which has its own network)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:31 am

Eldora a huge success last night. I think Tony Stewart earned a truck date from here to forever with that event.

Heard clamors in the social media world for a date at the famous Knoxville dirt track. One step at a time IMHO.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:12 pm

so happy I'm not watching the Brickyard today....what a horrible race.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Zzzz
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:06 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:A bit of fireworks in the NW race last night....namely, Nelson Piquet, Jr. kicking Brian Scott in the jewels:
Spoiler:

Runs in the family..... his dad at the 1982 German Grand Prix at Hockenheim having a go at Eliseo Salazar for having the temerity of not getting out of his way fast enough. (In a time when backmarkers were not obliged to affirmatively yield to front runners as they are today.)
http://youtu.be/1l9BGx3seT8
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:11 am

what a snoozer of the race. Only the differing pit strategies and the 48's mistake on pit road kept the outcome in doubt.

And the Saturday race belongs back at IRP. The Nationwide cars on the big track devalues the 400, and IRP was better racing. Easily the best race of the weekend was Eldora.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 am

Tony Stewart suffers a compound fracture of his tibia and fibula at a sprint car race last night, which will end his 2013 Sprint Cup season.

Obviously he owns his own team, but I wonder how his sponsors feel about him getting injured in a non-Cup event.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:49 am

It seems like every time NASCAR changes the car the 48 is miles ahead of everyone else. Once the rules get tweeked and teams finally catch up the playing field seems to level out.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:57 am

Wow on Stewart. After just being in a nasty sprint car wreck last week too.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:49 am

Regan Smith is the only name that pops out at me as a guy with Cup level experience that could fill in for Stewart. Both run Chevy, and both are affiliated with Hendrick -- JR Motorsports and SHR.

Re Sponsorship: I think the sponsors know what they are getting into. Stewart left JGR for ownership, in part, so he could race as he pleased. Recall Gibbs frowned upon it. The sponsors could certainly negotiate a no-weeknight-racing clause into their contracts, but there is no way Stewart would sign it.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 am

Also, I had no idea Sprint Cars were this dangerous:

On Sunday, Sprint Car Hall of Famer Kramer Williamson became at least the seventh sprint car driver to die in the last 14 months.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Hammer, gotta agree with you on Regan Smith but could well be Allmendinger, who has been on again off again driver for the #51 of Phoenix Racing this year. Others that might make sense are not driving Chevys (like Elliott Sadler). Then again, it's Watkins Glen, so they could call in a ringer not otherwise committed. Said and Fellows are already in the event; Scott Pruett is not, but has always filled an extra Ganassi car in years past.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:18 pm

relantel wrote:Hammer, gotta agree with you on Regan Smith but could well be Allmendinger, who has been on again off again driver for the #51 of Phoenix Racing this year. Others that might make sense are not driving Chevys (like Elliott Sadler). Then again, it's Watkins Glen, so they could call in a ringer not otherwise committed. Said and Fellows are already in the event; Scott Pruett is not, but has always filled an extra Ganassi car in years past.

I keep associating Allmendinger with Ford and Penske, but you're right, he has driven the 51 several times this year, although he has also driven the 47. Perhaps AJ would make sense at the Glen, and Smith would make sense later. Also, don't forget Smith replaced Jr. last year.

Broken legs generally take 4-6 weeks to heal. I wonder if Stewart could get in and do a lap at some of these tracks to keep himself in the Chase---his one win could go a long way, and the Glen especially would allow such a move without going a lap down. Bristol and Richmond would not at all, though, and I think Stewart already said he was out this week. Sigh.

Truex Jr. and Newman turn into the biggest beneficiaries.

For the same reasons, this makes it much easier for the 55 team, who is currently ahead of Newman's 39 team, to make the Owners Chase.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:51 pm

not that he'd do it, but I'd like SHR to bring Robby Gordon in.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR