401k Tutorial

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 401k Tutorial

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Any ETFers here?
I don't have the stomach for that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:18 am

My company match goes into company stock. It's a solid match where we get 50 cents on the dollar up to 6%. Not the best but not bad. Now I subscribed to the theory to move that money into normal funds regularly as holding a significant sum in a single stock isn't smart and holding it in company stock is staking your current and future in the same company.

Was super pissed when my company acquired another major media company in a multiple billion dollar acquisition. Stock rose 30% in one day and hasn't dropped back down since. I just moved a huge chunk out of stock a week prior. All the guys I work with who never check it made tons on their 401ks that day bc they were too lazy or didn't know enough to move the money. True testament to the "rather be luck than good" theory. I still picked up a few hundred bucks over night but if I had never moved anything, it would have been several thousand. Doh.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:22 am

In general, I know I'm playing the right move for long term, but it's been painful moving the money out of the company stock. It's gone up over 50% since Jan 1 and over 70% over the last year. Gotta think long term and absorb the pain of the short term gains that I'm missing out on, right? Ugh...

(I could make the most of it, but I don't check often enough to avoid effing myself if the stock starts to hurt)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:20 am

Don't eat where you ****, as tbey say.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:55 am

You know what sucks about retirement savings...i'm probably just going to get cancer and die by age 70. I feel like i might reduce my contributions.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:41 am

what a bargain
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:53 am

slappybrown wrote:what a bargain

What's up with the spam bot routine?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:02 pm

I feel like I'm doing well, but what's a normal rate of return for the last year or YTD? Mine seems high, but it might just be because everyone is doing well.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:43 am

bhaw wrote:I feel like I'm doing well, but what's a normal rate of return for the last year or YTD? Mine seems high, but it might just be because everyone is doing well.

Right mines doing great but I feel like my first 24 months were somewhat of an aberration. I have nothing to compare it to
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:48 am

ulf wrote:
bhaw wrote:I feel like I'm doing well, but what's a normal rate of return for the last year or YTD? Mine seems high, but it might just be because everyone is doing well.

Right mines doing great but I feel like my first 24 months were somewhat of an aberration. I have nothing to compare it to

You can compare it to the S&P 500 (and any other thing for that matter) right here:
https://www.google.com/finance?q=inx

Just enter your mutual fund code where it says "Compare."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:04 am

I just registered for this forum (though I doubt I would ever post):
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php

That's a reference to Jack Bogle (founder of Vanguard) and thus is skewed towards long term, buy and hold investment strategies.

As with anything on the web, TIFWIW....It seems like a better use of one's time than watching stock brokers scream at each other on CNBC.

I haven't determined if they have a hockey or warz section, but you never know. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:33 pm

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm 100% in stocks.....there's a plenty of time to recover from any crash.
And if there's not, then it probably doesn't matter, because everyone would be 100% hosed.

As Tomas would say: that's not financial advice. :)

That's not what you said you were going to do a few months ago... did you have a change of heart?

BtW, when do you think the 10-15% correction is coming, because it's not a matter of *if* it's a matter of when.

If it's not coming until stocks are 20% higher than they are here, your strategy is sound. If it's coming in August though...

And yes, I know what they say about "timing the market"...

No offense, but you speak of this looming correction as often as Bernanke tell us that the economy taking off and GDP going to 4+% is right around the corner.

I think we're seeing it now.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:34 pm

My spidey sense went off about 8 days ago and I moved some money into a PIMCO fund.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:28 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm 100% in stocks.....there's a plenty of time to recover from any crash.
And if there's not, then it probably doesn't matter, because everyone would be 100% hosed.

That's not what you said you were going to do a few months ago... did you have a change of heart?

BtW, when do you think the 10-15% correction is coming, because it's not a matter of *if* it's a matter of when.

If it's not coming until stocks are 20% higher than they are here, your strategy is sound. If it's coming in August though...

No offense, but you speak of this looming correction as often as Bernanke tell us that the economy taking off and GDP going to 4+% is right around the corner.

Like I said, as long as Bernanke keeps the hammer down, the market will not fade.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:48 am

columbia wrote:Any ETFers here?
I don't have the stomach for that.

You don't trust the stability of the funds?
I was under the assumption that an indexed EFT was not that unlike an indexed mutual fund? They're just traded differently, I think.
I don't currently invest in any but I have been looking.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 am

Maybe they are less volatile than I realize, but I don't see a reason to add a layer of daily speculation on top of an index fund.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:13 am

I generally follow his advice.....

ETF Trading: It’s ‘No Way to Invest’ Says Bogle
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout ... 24616.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:51 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Like I said, as long as Bernanke keeps the hammer down, the market will not fade.

Corrections don't last forever. By their very definition they're short term events. We had a correction and now the market is charging higher.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Previous

Return to NHR