Shutting off my cable. How to watch the Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shutting off my cable. How to watch the Pens?

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:08 pm

So I'm looking at ways to cut expenses and my cable is at the top of the list. The only things Ill really miss are watching the Pens and Top Gear. I'm just wondering how people without cable or dish or those outside the area watch the games?

Can I get FSP via antenna? I'm in Beaver Falls.

Live stream on the web?

Help a brotha out
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Shutting off my cable. How to watch the Pens?

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 pm

I'm really tempted to do the same thing. I use gamecenter anyway, the issue would be that i'd lose AMC shows.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm really tempted to do the same thing. I use gamecenter anyway, the issue would be that i'd lose AMC shows.

I guess you could always become a meth dealer and live out your fantasy. Perhaps you'd get shot by a buyer (who happens to be a big-name 1950's ad-executive) and come back as a zombie...and boom...all set.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Find a bar near your house watch it there but expect to spend the money you saved on cable on beer.

Or find a friend to invite you over for the game but always bring a case with you it almost always guarentees you will be invited back.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:35 pm

no name wrote:Find a bar near your house watch it there but expect to spend the money you saved on cable on beer.

This is a key issue.
If you at all like to drink beer while watching sports, keeping your cable is the way to go.

It doesn't take too many trips to bar to cover a cable bill.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:37 pm

no name wrote:Find a bar near your house watch it there but expect to spend the money you saved on cable on beer.

Personally, I could care less about the regular season and I usually end up going out for playoff games any way.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:01 pm

I gave up cable a couple of years ago; I got Center Ice through Roku and Apple TV and was able to see a fair amount of games, although they didn't show games that were carried on NHL Network. For those games I had to watch through devious internet sports sites. :scared:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:05 pm

You could watch 50% of the games if you got season tickets.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:51 pm

subscribe to gamecenter. subscribe to unblock-us for $5 a month so you don't get any blackouts. hook your computer up to the tv via hdmi. problem solved.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:08 pm

knives of ice wrote:subscribe to gamecenter. subscribe to unblock-us for $5 a month so you don't get any blackouts. hook your computer up to the tv via hdmi. problem solved.

I like this idea. I remember when cable was a very minor cost. Now it is the most expensive utility I have by at least double. It also seems to go up every few months. Maybe I'll pull the plug too.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Man we went on vaca this weekend and the couple had Apple TV. I'm pretty sure I'm switching to that after a little more research. Netflix + Hulu-plus is all you need then Apple TV has an NHL app that I could use to watch the Pens. It's cut my cable bill effectively in half. I'd just have to pay for internet which by itself is cheap.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stinky on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Man we went on vaca this weekend and the couple had Apple TV. I'm pretty sure I'm switching to that after a little more research. Netflix + Hulu-plus is all you need then Apple TV has an NHL app that I could use to watch the Pens. It's cut my cable bill effectively in half. I'd just have to pay for internet which by itself is cheap.

I had cut the cable a couple years ago, I highly recommend Roku. Its been a few years since I researched streaming players, but at the time Roku had an edge over Apple TV and the advancement in Rokus players since and the inclusion of 100's of channels for Roku makes me a returning customer. I have 4 Roku streaming players in my house and will buying another one shortly.

HOWEVER, given the pens popularity and the incredible amount of Pens games on NHL netwrok or Versus, be prepared to watch the pens game via another "method".
stinky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 pm

sil wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I'm really tempted to do the same thing. I use gamecenter anyway, the issue would be that i'd lose AMC shows.

I guess you could always become a meth dealer and live out your fantasy. Perhaps you'd get shot by a buyer (who happens to be a big-name 1950's ad-executive) and come back as a zombie...and boom...all set.

All while on the first continental railroad.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 pm

stinky wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Man we went on vaca this weekend and the couple had Apple TV. I'm pretty sure I'm switching to that after a little more research. Netflix + Hulu-plus is all you need then Apple TV has an NHL app that I could use to watch the Pens. It's cut my cable bill effectively in half. I'd just have to pay for internet which by itself is cheap.

I had cut the cable a couple years ago, I highly recommend Roku. Its been a few years since I researched streaming players, but at the time Roku had an edge over Apple TV and the advancement in Rokus players since and the inclusion of 100's of channels for Roku makes me a returning customer. I have 4 Roku streaming players in my house and will buying another one shortly.

HOWEVER, given the pens popularity and the incredible amount of Pens games on NHL netwrok or Versus, be prepared to watch the pens game via another "method".

Could always just HD cable the laptop to the TV, use the UK website that shall not be named, and stream the game on your TV.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:47 am

I can honestly say i can live without my cable, if I could get a alternite way to watch the Pens games i could save a good bit of money. The only other things i use my TV for is video games and Netflix. Now my wife and kids are another story they couldn't live without it.

I don't see why so many single people spend money traditional internet. I would have a hotspot or a roaming air card instead of having it only at my house.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like its do-able.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:54 am

columbia wrote:

This is a key issue.
If you at all like to drink beer while watching sports, keeping your cable is the way to go.

It doesn't take too many trips to bar to cover a cable bill.

Yeah... you can drink a six pack of beer for about 6 dollars at home. 6 dollars might get you one beer and one shot at a bar. Also you can't watch the game in your undies at the bar.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stick_licker on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:37 am

Gamecenter is almost worthless for a Penguins fan because their games are CONSTANTLY on the NHL network or NBC (and thus blacked out on gamecenter). I watched about 3 games total last year. If you're planning on using it then you'll need one of these additional services (with additional cost) to remove blackouts (I have no experience with them, but it sounds like others here do).
Stick_licker
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 am

You watched 3 games last year? They had a lot of blackouts, but I missed a couple and still used gamecenter for 20+ games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TPW on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:19 am

You could find a family member with cable that doesn't mind you putting a Slingbox on an unused TV.
TPW
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:57 am

TPW wrote:You could find a family member with cable that doesn't mind you putting a Slingbox on an unused TV.

I tried this... it wasn't a great option, but if you don't mind the complexity for a less-than-perfect output, certainly works.

Have you tried VPN or DNS re-routing?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby DelPen on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:35 pm

If you live in the root sports broadcast area then all games will be blacked out on CenterIce/Gamecenter.

Last season, over half the Pens games, close to 60% I think, were on NBC, NBC Sports or NHL Network so they were also blacked out. Then playoff games are on NBC's cable channels too, all blacked out.

Really hard to get a full season now without cable where it's convienent.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Batman21 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:51 pm

knives of ice wrote:subscribe to gamecenter. subscribe to unblock-us for $5 a month so you don't get any blackouts. hook your computer up to the tv via hdmi. problem solved.

This works 100%. Did it all last year. You can configure PS3 and Apple TV to use UnblockUs so you dont even need to hook your computer to tv. No proxy bs. Its an awesome service for $5/mo.
Batman21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:23 pm

Tico Rick wrote:I gave up cable a couple of years ago; I got Center Ice through Roku and Apple TV and was able to see a fair amount of games, although they didn't show games that were carried on NHL Network. For those games I had to watch through devious internet sports sites. :scared:

Are you in the Pittsburgh area, though? won't CI black out games if so?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Just to clarify, don't games on NBC and it's affiliates still get blocked out?

I've been contemplating this, as well.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins