Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 te

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:45 am

headh wrote:Duper just balls

:?:
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:25 am

Froggy wrote:then we lost to boston in 4 games largely in part due to the fact that the 2 best players in the world and one of the best d men in the world did jack squat. not sure how you game plan around that. I don't care what 4th liners he trots out, or what game plan he puts into effect... when our best players, specifically Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are not active on the score sheet for an entire playoff series, we lose. And since we apparently won all throughout the regular season and first 2 rounds of the playoffs DESPITE an inept coach, shouldn't they have been able to follow suit against boston?

going forward with how this team is structured, we NEED out top players... specifically THOSE THREE PLAYERS to be out best players night in and night out. No coach in the world... i don't care if he's scotty bowman circa 1977... will win if they generate nothing for an entire series.

we're going to continue to see sid taken down to jack squat and malkin made to look somewhat ordinary against well coached teams in the playoffs. this boston series wasn't the first time it's happened. we need to find a way to elevate the bottom of our lineup. bylsma has generally had turd ferguson to work with as far as prospects go, but he also hasn't done anything to show that he can get the most out of his callups. he's a question mark in this regard. but not a failure.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:51 pm

slappybrown wrote:Letang "can't run the PP" is really something. No doubt he can improve his decision making but come on.

You can't possibly compare the way Gonchar and Letang run the PP. Letang seems like the complimentary guy who can come in and look for a surprise opening, but a player like Gonchar is much better at distributing the puck and placing shots on the net.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Letang "can't run the PP" is really something. No doubt he can improve his decision making but come on.

You can't possibly compare the way Gonchar and Letang run the PP. Letang seems like the complimentary guy who can come in and look for a surprise opening, but a player like Gonchar is much better at distributing the puck and placing shots on the net.

Not being as good as Gonchar at running the PP /=/ "can't run the PP."

He's not great, but he's not awful at it. Its certainly one of the few areas offensively that he could improve on, but that one seems more to be one that improves primarily with time and experience. Which is why a 38-year old Gonchar keeps getting 5mm a year.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 40m Letang said that for all the outside talk/speculation leading up to the start of negotiations, "it took three days" to work out his contract

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 49m Letang: "I made it clear with Ray (Shero) and the owners that I wanted to stay."

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 51m Kris Letang, owner of a shiny new eight-year, $58 million contract: "I never thought about going to free agency at all."
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Letang is cool again. :thumb:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby taz71 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:21 pm

26 yo elite defenseman signed for 8 years STOP COMPLAINING
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 pm

Just like his last contract when it was signed...its a steep price at the time of signing. Hopefully his game takes the next step like he did early on in the last contract and it becomes a bargain as the cap goes up again. It would not surprise me if by 2015, he's outside of the top 5 in defencemen AAV.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Letang is cool again. :thumb:

Until he becomes next season's whipping boy after a couple defensive snafus. :)
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Just like his last contract when it was signed...its a steep price at the time of signing. Hopefully his game takes the next step like he did early on in the last contract and it becomes a bargain as the cap goes up again. It would not surprise me if by 2015, he's outside of the top 5 in defencemen AAV.

Bingo
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Letang has so much potential to become a top-tier DEFENSIVE defenseman to complement his offensive skills. He's not huge but he's extremely tough and fast. He has to realize that the points will come naturally for him and to put an emphasis on defense.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Rocco on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:56 pm

taz71 wrote:26 yo elite defenseman signed for 8 years STOP COMPLAINING

Unfortunately the last memories we have of his play are less than pleasant. If Letang had been injured and missed the playoffs but was signed to this deal due to his regular season play no one would be all that upset.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:17 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Not being as good as Gonchar at running the PP /=/ "can't run the PP."

He's not great, but he's not awful at it. Its certainly one of the few areas offensively that he could improve on, but that one seems more to be one that improves primarily with time and experience. Which is why a 38-year old Gonchar keeps getting 5mm a year.

I just wish he didn't have to stop the puck to shoot it. One timers are a PP QB's bread and butter and he's terrible at them.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:33 am

I think in 2 years the cap will be at around 72 million, so we shouldn't feel the bite as hard.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 am

no name wrote:I think in 2 years the cap will be at around 72 million, so we shouldn't feel the bite as hard.

At $72 we would have (if we sign Scuderi) about $20 million left to sign 13 - 15 players depending on how many you actually need to accounts for.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:47 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
no name wrote:I think in 2 years the cap will be at around 72 million, so we shouldn't feel the bite as hard.

At $72 we would have (if we sign Scuderi) about $20 million left to sign 13 - 15 players depending on how many you actually need to accounts for.

those would mostly be bottom rung players, though. and in a couple years, i might be happy that sutter was such a slug on offense. should keep his price down.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BuckintheLou on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:39 pm

I got no problem with the organization paying big bucks to talented, deserving players. However, this isn't justified for Letang. I can hear it now, "Oh Kris, you're a helluva guy for most of the year, who cares if you lose your head (sounds like Fleury) when we really need you. Tell you what, we're all about making you feel good. Sure, we'll pay whatever you want. You're one of us"! Falls right into the PC world we're living in. "Everyone's a winner". "Everyone gets a trophy". "No Tommy, you're not fat, just big boned. Have another Twinkie". Stop it. Ain't no way your #1 or #2 (honestly, he's no better than a #3) D man craps the bed when you need him most and a month later you give into his rediculous demands for a new contract. Shame on Ray-Ray (again). These boys dissapointedly exit the playoffs once again and the're rewarded with free candy. Can't be Disco's fault (who, BTW couldn't manage a McDonalds in Po-dunk, USA) though. He's been extended. Whoever coined this outfit as the 'Country Club' hit the nail on the head. I'm tired of hearing about "market value" and what other teams would pay for this guy or that guy. Fact is, if I did my job like he did his, I'd be out on my arse.
Ain't you supposed to bring your "A" game every dang night regardless of the size of your paycheck? Doesn't seem to happen much with this group (although there are exceptions; and one of 'em's in Minnesota!).
Please help me up. I just fell off my soapbox. But wooooooooooeeeeee! Do I feel better!!!
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:11 pm

Ohhhohoho man, I'm gonna pop some popcorn to watch this one.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:35 pm

BuckintheLou wrote:I got no problem with the organization paying big bucks to talented, deserving players. However, this isn't justified for Letang. I can hear it now, "Oh Kris, you're a helluva guy for most of the year, who cares if you lose your head (sounds like Fleury) when we really need you. Tell you what, we're all about making you feel good. Sure, we'll pay whatever you want. You're one of us"! Falls right into the PC world we're living in. "Everyone's a winner". "Everyone gets a trophy". "No Tommy, you're not fat, just big boned. Have another Twinkie". Stop it. Ain't no way your #1 or #2 (honestly, he's no better than a #3) D man craps the bed when you need him most and a month later you give into his rediculous demands for a new contract. Shame on Ray-Ray (again). These boys dissapointedly exit the playoffs once again and the're rewarded with free candy. Can't be Disco's fault (who, BTW couldn't manage a McDonalds in Po-dunk, USA) though. He's been extended. Whoever coined this outfit as the 'Country Club' hit the nail on the head. I'm tired of hearing about "market value" and what other teams would pay for this guy or that guy. Fact is, if I did my job like he did his, I'd be out on my arse.
Ain't you supposed to bring your "A" game every dang night regardless of the size of your paycheck? Doesn't seem to happen much with this group (although there are exceptions; and one of 'em's in Minnesota!).
Please help me up. I just fell off my soapbox. But wooooooooooeeeeee! Do I feel better!!!

Sounds like you should get a new team.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:01 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:Ohhhohoho man, I'm gonna pop some popcorn to watch this one.

Meh, D-. Needs to try harder.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:16 pm

the wicked child wrote:

Agreed. That was butt-grade crap...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:22 pm

mikey287 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:

Is calling crap "butt grade" really a put down? What other kind of crap is there?
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:20 pm

BuckintheLou wrote:I got no problem with the organization paying big bucks to talented, deserving players. However, this isn't justified for Letang. I can hear it now, "Oh Kris, you're a helluva guy for most of the year, who cares if you lose your head (sounds like Fleury) when we really need you. Tell you what, we're all about making you feel good. Sure, we'll pay whatever you want. You're one of us"! Falls right into the PC world we're living in. "Everyone's a winner". "Everyone gets a trophy". "No Tommy, you're not fat, just big boned. Have another Twinkie". Stop it. Ain't no way your #1 or #2 (honestly, he's no better than a #3) D man craps the bed when you need him most and a month later you give into his rediculous demands for a new contract. Shame on Ray-Ray (again). These boys dissapointedly exit the playoffs once again and the're rewarded with free candy. Can't be Disco's fault (who, BTW couldn't manage a McDonalds in Po-dunk, USA) though. He's been extended. Whoever coined this outfit as the 'Country Club' hit the nail on the head. I'm tired of hearing about "market value" and what other teams would pay for this guy or that guy. Fact is, if I did my job like he did his, I'd be out on my arse.

The beauty is there is not a no trade clause... So if he doesn't live up to this contract or if we feel the pinch of this contract we can trade him and not only unload the money owed to him but get some assets in return.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:56 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:

Is calling crap "butt grade" really a put down? What other kind of crap is there?

Intestinal-rupture grade crap.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 pm

pcm wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:

Intestinal-rupture grade crap.

Hmm, yes. I stand corrected.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins