Shutting off my cable. How to watch the Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shutting off my cable. How to watch the Pens?

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Beveridge wrote:1. Shut off cable
2. Download Pens mobile app
3. Listen to Mike Lange call the game and watch with your mind~~~~
4. Save Money AND Profit

What is this the 1930s? We have the ability to have visual images now.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:52 am

I'd rather just follow the box score than listen to the radio.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:23 am

Well, if you aren't a Mike Lange fan or radio fan or both, then obviously my plan is a bad one to follow.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:27 am

Just busting chops.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 am

I knew you were, was responding to Idoit since it appears (don't know) that he isn't a fan of one of those since he'd rather watch the box score.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Yeah, I wasn't giving a hard time. My enjoyment of a hockey game drops significantly when I can't see what all of the players are doing when i'm watching on TV, so when I can at best know what 1 or 2 people are doing at a time and only get a vague idea of where they're at, I may as well just be told when they score.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah, I wasn't giving a hard time. My enjoyment of a hockey game drops significantly when I can't see what all of the players are doing when i'm watching on TV, so when I can at best know what 1 or 2 people are doing at a time and only get a vague idea of where they're at, I may as well just be told when they score.

I actually have similar feelings.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby letsgopens66 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:20 pm

letsgopens66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:05 am

just want to add, that if you have a somewhat powerful computer and you add a chromecast - makes things so much easier. you can stream anything from the chrome browser. its really impressive and makes it so easy to get nhl gamecenter from a computer to your tv.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:46 am

How much is the game center streaming thing for the year?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:48 pm

so Time Warner charges $8.99 for the sports pass that gets you NHL Network. with one of those location things, if NHL Network picks the game up you can still get them on GameCenter?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:32 pm

DelPen wrote:so Time Warner charges $8.99 for the sports pass that gets you NHL Network. with one of those location things, if NHL Network picks the game up you can still get them on GameCenter?

$9 a month for a few months to get it legitimately vs however much a VPN costs (which could be considered illegal access/hacking http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/19/46361 ... lates-cfaa)
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:00 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
DelPen wrote:so Time Warner charges $8.99 for the sports pass that gets you NHL Network. with one of those location things, if NHL Network picks the game up you can still get them on GameCenter?

$9 a month for a few months to get it legitimately vs however much a VPN costs (which could be considered illegal access/hacking http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/19/46361 ... lates-cfaa)

I don't see why I should have to pay more because Comcast and the NHL want to screw me over for being a fan of a good team. The games that are set to air on Root but are picked up at the last minute should not be blacked out.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mig991 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:11 pm

HockeyStreams is the best answer. If you sign up by Sept. 1st price is $100.

No blackouts plus OHL, QMJHL, WHL, AHL, KHL, etc. Best service I have ever paid for on the Internet.
mig991

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:04 pm

mig991 wrote:HockeyStreams is the best answer. If you sign up by Sept. 1st price is $100.

No blackouts plus OHL, QMJHL, WHL, AHL, KHL, etc. Best service I have ever paid for on the Internet.

Don't be surprised if you log on and see this:

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:11 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
mig991 wrote:HockeyStreams is the best answer. If you sign up by Sept. 1st price is $100.

Don't be surprised if you log on and see this:

Yea, I would never pay $100 for a blatant illegal service.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:01 am

Are the NBC Sports Network games streamed online and/or are they available to Game Center users with a spoofed IP?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Candleonwater on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Most of this thread goes right over my head. We live in Virginia, and my daughter is begging me to find ways for her to watch more games... her first thought was to just take her to pittsburgh... that gets quite expensive! We have comcast ( which sux!). What is my best LEGAL way to watch the most games? I don't have a problem listening through the app, but "radio" doesn't keep her attention.
Candleonwater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nocera on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Candleonwater wrote:Most of this thread goes right over my head. We live in Virginia, and my daughter is begging me to find ways for her to watch more games... her first thought was to just take her to pittsburgh... that gets quite expensive! We have comcast ( which sux!). What is my best LEGAL way to watch the most games? I don't have a problem listening through the app, but "radio" doesn't keep her attention.

Comcast should offer NHL Center Ice, which will give you every out of market game that ISN'T broadcast on a National network (NBC, NBC Sports Network, NHL Network.)

It generally runs somewhere between 120-140 for the season.

This is probably the easiest route as all you'd need is your Comcast box and to make a phone call. NHL Game Center is offered directly from the NHL. This service, however, requires some sort of broadband streaming. (Your computer, a streaming device such as Apple TV or Roku, a smart TV, or an Xbox 360/Playstation 3)

They're both good services, though most would argue GameCenter is more bang for your buck due to all the extra bells and whistles, but it really comes down to what's most convenient for you.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:51 pm

columbia wrote:Are the NBC Sports Network games streamed online and/or are they available to Game Center users with a spoofed IP?

Their iOS app streams the channel live but not entirely sure on NHL. They had every playoff game on last year and I've tested it out this year with golf and it's fine. All you need is a comcast email though to get live TV, if you know someone with comcast ask them to set you up an email address, all accounts get like 5+ and I doubt they use them all. It will do mirroring to an Apple TV too.

These games and ones on NBC are not even available on Gamecenter/Center Ice to be blacked out unless maybe it's picked up at the last minute. NHL Network looks to be another story though since Root and other sports nets do a broadcast of them which is where they get the feed from.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby socket on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:16 am

nocera wrote:
Candleonwater wrote:Most of this thread goes right over my head. We live in Virginia, and my daughter is begging me to find ways for her to watch more games... her first thought was to just take her to pittsburgh... that gets quite expensive! We have comcast ( which sux!). What is my best LEGAL way to watch the most games? I don't have a problem listening through the app, but "radio" doesn't keep her attention.

Comcast should offer NHL Center Ice, which will give you every out of market game that ISN'T broadcast on a National network (NBC, NBC Sports Network, NHL Network.)

It generally runs somewhere between 120-140 for the season.

This is probably the easiest route as all you'd need is your Comcast box and to make a phone call. NHL Game Center is offered directly from the NHL. This service, however, requires some sort of broadband streaming. (Your computer, a streaming device such as Apple TV or Roku, a smart TV, or an Xbox 360/Playstation 3)

They're both good services, though most would argue GameCenter is more bang for your buck due to all the extra bells and whistles, but it really comes down to what's most convenient for you.

This... Living outside of Pittsburgh this is your best fully legal bet. Gamecenter Live works great as well, but for the playoffs you're kind of screwed either way. For straight NBC games, no problem, as you can get those over the air... But a ton of the games are on NBCSN, which are "national broadcasts" but are cable only. unblock-us.com is not necessarily "illegal" but circumventing the blackout restriction is against the NHL's policy, so it's not really a HUGE risk, but a risk nonetheless.
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:49 am

I'm still trying to decide between gamecenter and center ice. Its a tough decision. :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm still trying to decide between gamecenter and center ice. Its a tough decision. :scared:

Gamecenter is about a minute behind CenterIce and the picture quality should alwys be consistant either in HD or SD depending on your provider.

If you have a Roku or AppleTV gamecenter looks just fine. You can also take those with you and hook them up anywhere you have wifi so if you go out of town you can still catch games.

Not sure if Centerice allows monthly payments over 8 months but Gamecenter does so it helps a bit, makes it about $20 a month over the entire season. Last time I had CenterIce with DirectV I could only split it into three payments.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:10 am

Yeah, I had gamecenter this past season and hated the delay and inconsistent quality. It is nice to have gamecenter on my phone, but moving into a new place, I'm expecting to have the living room tv all to myself so watching games won't be an issue. I think you can do 4 months with center ice...or even if its still three, i'm fine with that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:12 am

How does the quality of the feed from Roku compare to Game Center on computer -> HDMI cable -> TV?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins