Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later edit: RESULTS IN!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later

Postby since1970 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:20 pm

yea, the two things that define baseball are almost impossible to do in the rain, and it has nothing to do athleticism. Pitching and hitting are nearly impossible to do in the rain regardless of athleticism. I can make ridiculous arguments too, how 'bout those NFL QB's? Real athletes...grab ball take 7 steps back, jump up and down repeatedly on the balls of your feet and throw, or better yet...grab ball take a step back turn around place ball in another guys mid section, wow hard stuff there. All comes down to one thing, if it was easy we could all do it.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:23 pm

The true heroes of baseball are the catchers. Everyone else on the field can be picking their nose.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:25 pm

It doesn't get rougher in sports than baseball catcher.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:26 pm

I just can't imagine squatting that long without picturing what Exploding-Knee-Syndrome would be like.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby since1970 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Catching 120 gms a year is brutal, and every pitcher doesn't throw the same ball, there are guys that throw 95 and they're easier to catch than some guys that throw 89/90. We've all heard it, and some guys do throw a heavy ball, and try catching the guy who's ball seems to explode ten ft out from home, it's not fun.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:36 pm

MLB players, like most other sports feature guys that usually were stars in other sports growing up. Just on the current roster, that I know of..

Russel Martin – Hockey player

Neil Walker- Also played football and basketball, 2 time PG Male Athlete of the year, had offers in football from Pitt and PSU

Andrew McCutchen – Football and track, 1 of the top rated football players in FL

Mark Melancon - 4 year varsity letterman in football, 3 year varsity letterman in basketball

I'm sure there are many, many more
Last edited by IanMoran on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Just like hockey. Some people have heavy shots...like no matter where it hits the goalie first it still just goes in.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Baseball complaints:

-Infinity timeouts. In just about every other sport you don't get to call timeout if you aren't set.
-Would love to see how far players run on average per game or even per season.
-What other sport do players actually play with tobacco in their lip? Would you ever see someone in an olympic event run around with a big dip of Redman under their lip?
-Why chew tobacco anyway? Game is so boring you need to keep yourself occupied?
-How many baseball players actually hustle? I mean is it too much to ask to sprint 30 yards twice per game? Most players run about 60%.
-Steroids. Yes you can point out NFL guys get suspended a lot too. But they actually hit the weights and also have legitimate wear and tear on their bodies. If baseball players hit the weights in on their off days instead of the golf courses, they wouldn't need to be juicing.
-Just google obscure baseball injuries.
-Managers coming out to yell at umpires (wearing uniforms lol). Honestly what could you possibly be screaming about for 3 minutes straight? Also what percent of the time do the umpires change their call?

If baseball wasn't playing during the summer months in nice weather it would be a distant 4th among the major US leagues. Its an excuse to be outside and enjoy nice weather. Most of the times the result is secondary hence 162 games.

This is coming from someone who grew up playing so I am not just a hater.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:48 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:-Steroids. Yes you can point out NFL guys get suspended a lot too. But they actually hit the weights and also have legitimate wear and tear on their bodies. If baseball players hit the weights in on their off days instead of the golf courses, they wouldn't need to be juicing.

lol
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Baseball is definitely not my favorite sport, and I don't follow it nearly as closely as hockey, football...heck, even golf :pop:. That being said, some of the arguments against baseball in this thread sound incredibly neanderthal-ish to me.

FOOT BALL PLAYERS MANLY. BASEBALL PLAYERS SISSY. FOOTBALL PLAYER GO BOOM INTO NOTHER PLAYER, PLAYER NEED ICE BATH BUT HE PLAY NEXT GAME. BASEBALL PLAYER TOUCH OTHER TEAM, HE HURT HIMSELF AND GO BYE BYE FOR A WHILE.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:54 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:Just like hockey. Some people have heavy shots...like no matter where it hits the goalie first it still just goes in.

I played with a guy in college who was like that. We both had pretty hard shots (gunned in the low 90s), but goaltenders said that the other guy's shots felt like little tiny Mack trucks. He said he actually MacInnis'd one keeper in high school; hit him square on and broke one of the guy's ribs. :shock:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:55 pm

IanMoran wrote:
IamtheWaris wrote:-Steroids. Yes you can point out NFL guys get suspended a lot too. But they actually hit the weights and also have legitimate wear and tear on their bodies. If baseball players hit the weights in on their off days instead of the golf courses, they wouldn't need to be juicing.

lol

I knew of someone who boasted of barely working out yet he was huge. He was drafted by the Rockies. When he inevitably failed a drug test he played the same I don't know what it could have been card that is always played.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby since1970 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Playing 162 games in 6 months is not easy. I played a lot of baseball when I was younger and into my 20's and I can tell you playing 65 to 85 games a year seems easy, but once you're done you don't want to look at a baseball for a couple of months, even though travel. hotel all are first class I can't imagine playing a full ML season and everything that goes in to it....
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CrazyJoeDavola on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Different sports have different levels of skill vs. raw athleticism. Being able to hit both a 95 mph fastball and a 70 mph curveball with 12 inches of break is an incredible skill. Especially since you don't know what's coming and have to make a decision in fractions of a second. It seems like the anti baseball crowd is weighing raw athleticism (pure speed / strength / ect.) a little more than skills (coordination / anticipation). That's all fine and well, but baseball is absolutely not a joke. Not trying to open another can of worms, but the same can be said for golf. A lot of times, the same people saying that it's a joke and not a sport are the same ones that would shoot 125 if they tried to play 18.

All that being said, I tend to weigh raw athleticism a little higher too, but it's fun debate to have.

Anyway, to get back on topic:
1. Crosby
2. Cutch
3. Malkin
4. Roethlisburger
5. Antonio Brown
HM: Timmon, Letang, Liriano, Heath Miller, Polomalu (Troy would have been top 3 until recently)
CrazyJoeDavola

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Tifosi did a good job in turning the last 2-3 pages of this thread into an argument about something everyone else agrees with, except him.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:24 pm

:wink:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:25 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

lol

I knew of someone who boasted of barely working out yet he was huge. He was drafted by the Rockies. When he inevitably failed a drug test he played the same I don't know what it could have been card that is always played.

MLB has 40 rounds, not all of those are ever going to be MLB players. So, yea... sure its easier to get drafted I'd imagine. That being said, if he actually went farther than just being drafted I gurantee he started taking working out more serious ( Kevin Durant couldn't lift 185 pounds before the draft)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm

He made it far enough to be tested for PEDs. Single A maybe.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Ben just showed some tremendous athleticism.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:26 pm

http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/20/the-audibl ... &eref=sihp

Center: Maurkice Pouncey, Pittsburgh Steelers

I can hear the raspberries coming now — “You dolt, Pouncey’s one of the best centers in the NFL, and he’s made the Pro Bowl each of his three pro seasons!” Well … that’s all technically true. “Pouncey” is one of the best centers in the NFL if you’re referring to Mike Pouncey, who plays for the Miami Dolphins. And while brother Maurkice is a good player, it’s a struggle to rate him among the best at his position after his 2012 season. We will give him a relative pass on his four sacks allowed (only the now-retired Todd McClure of the Falcons allowed more among centers in 2012) and seven quarterback hits and hurries allowed (fourth among centers with at least 750 snaps) because Ben Roethlisberger has a tendency to run into pressure at the best of times. But power centers need to dominate in the run game, and Pouncey had six blown blocks in that department.
In addition, the Steelers ranked 31st up the middle in FO’s Adjusted Line Yards metric, which puts the focus on the center to a large degree. Pouncey struggled through injuries last year, and most of the Steelers’ offensive line was a problem, but more should be expected from a guy perceived as the best in the game at his position. Pouncey was good in 2012, but he’ll need a rebound in the new season if he’s to live up to his reputation
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:28 pm

pounce got did dirty a few times last night
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Top 5 Pittsburgh Athletes, 1 year later edit: RESULTS IN

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:45 pm

2013 results in the OP
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:49 pm

IanMoran wrote:Only Crosby, Malkin received votes from everyone (McCutchen left off 1 ballot)

Who was that? :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Only Crosby, Malkin received votes from everyone (McCutchen left off 1 ballot)

Who was that? :pop:

lol
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR