LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:38 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:If anybody wants to make some predictions for ish and giggles:

Title: Citeh

Relegation: Stoke, Hull, Palace

Champions League: Madrid

Title: Chelski

Relegation: Norwich, Hull, Palace

CL: Dortmund
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:41 pm

I say Real for the CL. Hopefully neither Chelsea or City.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Gaucho wrote:The US Team has been pretty good at being better than the sum of its parts for quite some time now. I still think the quarters is the best they can hope for, though. Nothing to sneer at, of course.

Yeah, I'm not going overboard with optimism. Many pages back when I tried to sort teams into tiers for the World Cup next year during the Confed Cup, I put the US in that group of teams that one wouldn't be surprised to see in the 2nd round with a decent draw, but would be very surprised to see them go any further. If they keep playing this well, I might bump up them up a tier to "expected to make the 2nd round, quarters wouldn't be a huge shock, but anything beyond that would be".
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Relegation: Norwich, Hull, Palace, Braunschweig, f***ing Hertha, Almeria, Elche, Celta Vigo.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:47 pm

largegarlic wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The US Team has been pretty good at being better than the sum of its parts for quite some time now. I still think the quarters is the best they can hope for, though. Nothing to sneer at, of course.

Yeah, I'm not going overboard with optimism. Many pages back when I tried to sort teams into tiers for the World Cup next year during the Confed Cup, I put the US in that group of teams that one wouldn't be surprised to see in the 2nd round with a decent draw, but would be very surprised to see them go any further. If they keep playing this well, I might bump up them up a tier to "expected to make the 2nd round, quarters wouldn't be a huge shock, but anything beyond that would be".

I remember your rankings. They were spot on imo.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:47 pm

largegarlic wrote:

Yea, I would be happy just getting out of group stage (as long as they aren't in the group of death).
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:10 am

Rylan wrote:
largegarlic wrote:

Yea, I would be happy just getting out of group stage (as long as they aren't in the group of death).

I think the expectations for the U.S. depends on what type of group we get. If we get something similar to 2010 you gotta think improvement and maybe getting knocked out in the round of 8. Group of death equals happy to get out of the group.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:12 am

Looking at some of the experts picks for relegation, Fulham seems to be a popular choice. I know they were awful on the road last year and almost got sucked into the relegation mire but they have way too much talent for me. It's really tough to come up with a third team outside of Hull, and Palace. I think Cardiff has bought well and they should be ok.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:36 am

Surely the Arsenal game will be the game on NBC Sports at 10:00?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:46 am

It's supposed to be.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:36 am

Look who's on top of the table. For another 3 hours or so at least.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:47 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:25 pm

I'm sure abuse will be coming from the Liverpool fans. Wenger making me look like a mug.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:13 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:I'm sure abuse will be coming from the Liverpool fans. Wenger making me look like a mug.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you from the bottom of the table. You'll have to speak up.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens2005 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm confused...what's the difference between the premier league and the uefa league?

And how come teams in the premier league are playing in the uefa league as well?

I'm trying to figure this all out
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Avyran on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Premier League = Just like the NHL or NFL. It's the British soccer league.

UEFA Champions League = A European-wide league, with the top teams from the British, Spanish, Italian, etc leagues all playing together. It'd be like... the NHL, KHL, and other European champions playing in a separate competition to determine who's the best team in the world. Currently, in the Premier League, the top 3 get automatic entry into the Champions League, with the 4th having to play through qualification. The Champions League also pays a pretty penny (so in a sense, it's like the playoffs for the NHL in terms of extra money revenue).

The Champions League is an extra competition played during the year, on top of the standard EPL / La Liga (Spain) / Ligue 1 (France) / etc.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Avyran wrote:Premier League = Just like the NHL or NFL. It's the British soccer league.

UEFA Champions League = A European-wide league, with the top teams from the British, Spanish, Italian, etc leagues all playing together. It'd be like... the NHL, KHL, and other European champions playing in a separate competition to determine who's the best team in the world. Currently, in the Premier League, the top 3 get automatic entry into the Champions League, with the 4th having to play through qualification. The Champions League also pays a pretty penny (so in a sense, it's like the playoffs for the NHL in terms of extra money revenue).

The Champions League is an extra competition played during the year, on top of the standard EPL / La Liga (Spain) / Ligue 1 (France) / etc.

Thanks so much for your response. You said the uefa is played during the year. Does this go on during the premier league? I guess I'm confused how they determine the top 3 to play in it if the premier league is currently going on.

Also, isn't it difficult to play 2 leagues at once?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Avyran on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Yep. The Champions League qualifiers are currently going on right now; Arsenal (who was 4th place last year in the Premier League) is trying to make it through those. Once the Qualifiers are done, the Champions League Group Stage starts around October or November, and the whole competition continues until May or so.

And yes, it is difficult. They also play Cups (in England, they have the Football Association Cup and the League Cup). That's why most of the bigger teams - such as Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City in England - try to have enough quality players for all of those games: instead of just having a really good set of starters (11 players), they'll have 15-20 really good players so that they can rotate in & out throughout the year. The extra funding of the Champions League (or just really rich ownership) helps to cover the extra wages & such.

As an example, Manchester United used to have a midfield player named Ji-Sung Park. He was not played very often during the Premier League games, except for big matches against Chelsea or something. However, he was almost always played in the Cup and Champions League games. Similar to Javier Hernandez (Chicharito), a forward, who plays when Robin Van Persie or Danny Welbeck need a break (or if he's on a hot streak).

The bench in soccer is kinda like the MLB bench, where there are youth & suitable backups ready to come in when necessary.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Avyran wrote:Yep. The Champions League qualifiers are currently going on right now; Arsenal (who was 4th place last year in the Premier League) is trying to make it through those. Once the Qualifiers are done, the Champions League Group Stage starts around October or November, and the whole competition continues until May or so.

And yes, it is difficult. They also play Cups (in England, they have the Football Association Cup and the League Cup). That's why most of the bigger teams - such as Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City in England - try to have enough quality players for all of those games: instead of just having a really good set of starters (11 players), they'll have 15-20 really good players so that they can rotate in & out throughout the year. The extra funding of the Champions League (or just really rich ownership) helps to cover the extra wages & such.

As an example, Manchester United used to have a midfield player named Ji-Sung Park. He was not played very often during the Premier League games, except for big matches against Chelsea or something. However, he was almost always played in the Cup and Champions League games. Similar to Javier Hernandez (Chicharito), a forward, who plays when Robin Van Persie or Danny Welbeck need a break (or if he's on a hot streak).

The bench in soccer is kinda like the MLB bench, where there are youth & suitable backups ready to come in when necessary.

Yeah but your bench in soccer seems like has to be my up of superb players if you have intentions of winning the champions league. Because if yor focus is just on premier, chances are you aren't going anywhere in the champions league.

I'm also guessing by May the premier league is ending so the great tams start sending all their fantastic players over into the champions league if their are still alive, right?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Rocco wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:I'm sure abuse will be coming from the Liverpool fans. Wenger making me look like a mug.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you from the bottom of the table. You'll have to speak up.

Glossing over the peno save.

Word to the wise. Kolo Toure was past it when he came back from the Africa Cup of Nations with malaria before he was sold to Citeh. He barely played for them the last two years. Also, he's had to endure being suspended for taking a banned substance, getting fat/ losing his pace, and the whole hilarious car salesman/infidelity thing. He's a nice option as a 3rd or 4th guy seeing limited time. If he plays a lot that could be trouble.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:59 am

Hull is BAD
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:17 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Glossing over the peno save.

Word to the wise. Kolo Toure was past it when he came back from the Africa Cup of Nations with malaria before he was sold to Citeh. He barely played for them the last two years. Also, he's had to endure being suspended for taking a banned substance, getting fat/ losing his pace, and the whole hilarious car salesman/infidelity thing. He's a nice option as a 3rd or 4th guy seeing limited time. If he plays a lot that could be trouble.

Not glossing over anything, but Pool were the better team and the only reason that pen save mattered was because Begovic was immense/Pool whacked the crossbar twice. The defense isn't going to work against a team that can actually pass and tries to play a game other than maiming their opponents.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:52 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:If anybody wants to make some predictions for ish and giggles:

Title: Citeh

Relegation: Stoke, Hull, Palace

Champions League: Madrid

These would be mine
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:01 am

pens2005 wrote:
Avyran wrote:Yep. The Champions League qualifiers are currently going on right now; Arsenal (who was 4th place last year in the Premier League) is trying to make it through those. Once the Qualifiers are done, the Champions League Group Stage starts around October or November, and the whole competition continues until May or so.

Yeah but your bench in soccer seems like has to be my up of superb players if you have intentions of winning the champions league. Because if yor focus is just on premier, chances are you aren't going anywhere in the champions league.

I'm also guessing by May the premier league is ending so the great tams start sending all their fantastic players over into the champions league if their are still alive, right?

By May the Champions League will be down to the final two teams left.

Some teams have done well in the Champions League without much depth. Dortmund, this past year's beaten finalist, relied mainly on the same roughly 15 players throughout their entire season.

I wouldn't think of it as teams sending some players over the Champions League. The Champions League and Premier League run concurrently but their games will never overlap. The shortest time between a Champions League game and a Premier League game will be 3 days.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tomas on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Just in case you haven't seen it - new Tottenham Spurs coach:

Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR