Prospect game thoughts

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Prospect game thoughts

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Listened to the first of the 3 prospect games. First thought was how terrible the radio announcing was. If it were TV, then it would've been fine as the non-calls of what was happening would've been captured by my eyes but for radio...no.

Ottawa scored 4 goals but there was never mention of who was on the ice when they were banging in rebound after rebound. For a vaunted D corps, it sure sounded like Ottawa guys were wide open around the net.

Pittsburgh forwards look small on the roster and I heard mention several times of them getting boxed out on rebound chances. Not good.

Lastly, the Sylvester that scored seemed to be involved on a regular basis. Interested in him.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Prospect game thoughts

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:52 pm

So your saying cancel the Stanley Cup parade for this year?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:55 pm

And years to come.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:55 pm

No surprise that the Pens prospects are a bit hurting. The Pens have either traded or
Picked very low in the draft for years. That is why winning now is so important.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HockeyDaddy on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:53 pm

I would not read too much into the outcome of a game that featured a group of players playing together for the first time. This "tournament" is not all about winning, it is about evaluating talent.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:06 pm

BLOW IT UP
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KBone on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:42 am

So... the Bloom is off of the Rookies' Roses?
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:26 am

Is there no game summery anywhere on the interwebz?
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:48 am

This seems like a super-thin veil of analysis to cover an ongoing bone-pick about the pens not reaching in the draft for bigger bodies. Let's wait and see how strong these guys are when they get anywhere close to NHL-ready.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:01 am

sil wrote:This seems like a super-thin veil of analysis to cover an ongoing bone-pick about the pens not reaching in the draft for bigger bodies. Let's wait and see how strong these guys are when they get anywhere close to NHL-ready.

Agreed but its going to be a hot topic moving forward so any piece of the pie, no matter how small, is going to be looked at probably more in depth than usual. GMRS tossed a lot of eggs into one basket on these similar type of defensive prospects. It's not an issue of will it work, it has to work for the Pens.

Add in that puck moving defensive prospects a lot of times have longer learning curves and higher rates of not reaching potential this is going to be a scorching hot button topic.

Was reading Pensblog the other night and they had a screen shot of the Pens d players at this tournament. Understand they are bloggers but the sentiment is shared by a lot fans: Our defensive is going to be lights out when these guys reach the NHL.

Question is not only will they but when will enough of hem be ready to really contribute as a group?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:14 am

Wow. These responses are all head-scratchers. Sounds like a lot of people have reading comprehension issues. I start a thread to talk about how poor the radio announcing was and make some comments about what I was able to gather from the radio call and everyone responds with ridiculous statements about the future of the Pen's organization?

Do you really believe anyone looks at a prospect game as a projection of where their team is headed? You look at a prospect game to see if your prospects are grading out as advertised or to see if anyone catches your eye. I didn't see one response from someone wanting to discuss the game itself which is kind of why threads are created. Odd.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:18 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Wow. These responses are all head-scratchers. Sounds like a lot of people have reading comprehension issues. I start a thread to talk about how poor the radio announcing was and make some comments about what I was able to gather from the radio call and everyone responds with ridiculous statements about the future of the Pen's organization?

Do you really believe anyone looks at a prospect game as a projection of where their team is headed? You look at a prospect game to see if your prospects are grading out as advertised or to see if anyone catches your eye. I didn't see one response from someone wanting to discuss the game itself which is kind of why threads are created. Odd.

Well, if they can't even put together a decent radio broadcast, how the hell are they going to field a decent team?
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:45 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Wow. These responses are all head-scratchers. Sounds like a lot of people have reading comprehension issues. I start a thread to talk about how poor the radio announcing was and make some comments about what I was able to gather from the radio call and everyone responds with ridiculous statements about the future of the Pen's organization?

In fairness you titled it about the game (which a prospect game people are going to duscuss....prospects) and made a comment about the pens vaunted defense prospects that could be open to interpretation.

Anyways, that is my point above. Gotta get used to it the next few years. Anything prospect related is going to end up being a direct discussion to our defensive prospect pool. It's just how it's going to be.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins