Rookie Tourney Coverage

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rookie Tourney Coverage

Postby Penspal on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 am

I was away for most of the weekend, but I don't see any "independent" third party reports/blogs on the Pens games in the tourney. Anyone have a link or any insights to what went down?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Rookie Tourney Coverage

Postby netwolf on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:02 am

I don't know if any of the regulars made the trip up. I listened to as much of the tournament games on the radio as I could. It sounded like you might have expected going in, based on the roster. They struggled to score goals, despite posting some decent shot totals.

On Sunday, JS Dea's name was mentioned a lot during the broadcast. He ended up with a goal and an assist, and his work over the tournament apparently got him an invite to regular camp on Wednesday. https://twitter.com/jsdea10/status/376823156356300801

After going undrafted, things have turned around a bit for Dea. He got invited to the Pens development camp, and did well enough there to get invited to the rookie tournament. Now, he's built upon that and earned himself a spot at an NHL camp. I'm still unclear on whether he has any draft eligibility left, but if he is eligible to be signed and he continues to impress, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pens add a skilled forward to their prospect pool. It's not like they have many of those kinds of guys anyhow.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:15 am

meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:19 am

Check pens's blogger Ryan Wilson on Hockeybuzz. He basically said he was impressed with Harrington,Matta and Dumoulin on defense. Forward wise, only Kuhnhackl seemed to stand out. Outside of one assist, Wilson said he didnt seem to notice Pouliout too much. Hope this isnt a bad sign and makes me wonder if Jacob Trouba or Forsberg would have been better with the eighth pick
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:13 am

I was poking around on the official Pens website and found this article that has short quotes from Nasreddine on all of the main d-man prospects and their performance in the tournament:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681768

Nasreddine seems to give a pretty honest assessment of everyone. He seems to think Dumoulin is done with the AHL and ready for the bigs. He's much less certain about all the others he mentions.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:45 am

So say Dumoulin is better than Bortuzzo, they just signed Bort for 2 more years. I assume we'd still be able to trade him though right? I just think they need to create some space for these young D. One a year for the next 3 years should be cycling in and getting serious PT.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks guys, I see that there are some video's as well on the Pens website.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:35 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:So say Dumoulin is better than Bortuzzo, they just signed Bort for 2 more years. I assume we'd still be able to trade him though right? I just think they need to create some space for these young D. One a year for the next 3 years should be cycling in and getting serious PT.

I'm not sure that's true, and it has nothing to do with Brian Dumoulin. People forget that Robert Bortuzzo was one of the top shutdown defensemen in the AHL and was an all-star down there. I think he should have been played more last year so he could get adjusted to the NHL game. You have to be willing to live with a certain amount of mistakes with young guys, and if they develop, then it's all worth it. I'd trade a slightly worse regular season and a division title if it mean my team is better prepared for the playoffs.

For as good of a first year of pro hockey as Dumoulin had, I have trouble believing he was so good down there that he'd actually force his way into the top 6 of an already crowded NHL blueline. Bortuzzo, Deryk Engelland and Simon Despres have played NHL games and still aren't considered regulars.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins