Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
canaan wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I don't think that Kaepernick is "better" than Ben (or at least hasn't been in the league long enough to say that).

hes one of the nfl's shiny new toys. you're not allowed to question his greatness.

At the very least, he threw, scrambled, and ran better than Ben on Sunday.

Ben looked like he was going to have a great game before DeCastro took out Pouncey.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:57 pm

which steeler was it that said something stupid on twitter mocking fans and bragging about being a millionaire? i thought it was pouncey but when i google pouncey twitter controversy all i get is free hernandez
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:59 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:which steeler was it that said something stupid on twitter mocking fans and bragging about being a millionaire? i thought it was pouncey but when i google pouncey twitter controversy all i get is free hernandez

this?

https://twitter.com/AntonioBrown84/stat ... 9970709505

It's hard being rich young n black ! I got to coupe with that
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:00 pm

it wasnt too recent, i was talking about it with a friend but cant for the life of me remember what it was. cook or smizik called them out at the time.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm

I think it was Pouncey
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:which steeler was it that said something stupid on twitter mocking fans and bragging about being a millionaire? i thought it was pouncey but when i google pouncey twitter controversy all i get is free hernandez

this?

https://twitter.com/AntonioBrown84/stat ... 9970709505

It's hard being rich young n black ! I got to coupe with that

I assumed someone saying something like that on the Steelers was Brown.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:22 pm

The Steelers signed former titan C Fernando Velasco,
He started all 16 games last season.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Just a quick search of Fernando Velasco - not a bad pick up, at all. I thought for sure they were going to roll with Cody Wallace.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Definitely seems like a solid pickup. And now Beachum can go back to starting at TE.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:50 pm

pouncy ran his mouf after the super bowl loss. he was promoting some hip hop album on the twitter an hour or so after the game and fans got on his case. so he started bragging about his riches.

in hindsight, at least he and his boys didnt shoot the people giving him crap on twitter.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Does deer antler velvet extract work on torn biceps too?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:58 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:pouncy ran his mouf after the super bowl loss. he was promoting some hip hop album on the twitter an hour or so after the game and fans got on his case. so he started bragging about his riches.

in hindsight, at least he and his boys didnt shoot the people giving him crap on twitter.

Oh yea, I forgot about that. The whole "your life sucks, I'm rich" thing.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:10 pm

viva la ben wrote:Here is a great point regarding the running game

@JoeStarkey1: 49ers averaged 2.6 yards per rush attempt; Broncos 2.8. Geez, how did they score so much without "establishing the run"?

Yet the 49ers still gave the ball to Gore 21 times despite the fact he averaged about 2 yards a carry and may be done.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:23 pm

Nice work by Football Night In America analysts Rodney Harrison and Scott Pioli on the impact of the season-ending injury to Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey:

Pioli: "After looking at that 'street' list of centers, it doesn't look very good right now...Not only is he the best center in the league, he very well may be the best player on the offense of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Harrison: "If I'm Mike Tomlin, I am concerned. I lose Maurkice Pouncey, who is the best center in the league. That offensive line, they can't block. The run game has been completely shut down. I believe that they miss Mike Wallace, and his ability to go down the field and open up. Big Ben, he wants plays down the field. They no longer have the luxury of depending on their defense to create three or four turnovers and score touchdowns."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/n ... z2eQf0rKHj

The NFL echo chamber is amazing. Once something gains traction -- Pouncey is the best C in the NFL -- its almost impossible to stop.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:28 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Nice work by Football Night In America analysts Rodney Harrison and Scott Pioli on the impact of the season-ending injury to Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey:

Pioli: "After looking at that 'street' list of centers, it doesn't look very good right now...Not only is he the best center in the league, he very well may be the best player on the offense of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Harrison: "If I'm Mike Tomlin, I am concerned. I lose Maurkice Pouncey, who is the best center in the league. That offensive line, they can't block. The run game has been completely shut down. I believe that they miss Mike Wallace, and his ability to go down the field and open up. Big Ben, he wants plays down the field. They no longer have the luxury of depending on their defense to create three or four turnovers and score touchdowns."

The NFL echo chamber is amazing. Once something gains traction -- Pouncey is the best C in the NFL -- its almost impossible to stop.

I noticed this with the "exotic blitzes" line so many commentators use when talking about the Steelers. Meanwhile, the D has had trouble getting to the QB for years. I'm not sure "Fire X" is exotic anymore.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:29 pm

slappybrown wrote:

Or maybe Pouncey is better than fans realize.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Rocco wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

* When he's playing.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Rocco wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Given that you read the same advanced stats sites I do that are tracking this stuff on a play to play basis, I think you know that those metrics indicate he's not as good as conventional wisdom suggests. That doesn't mean he's not very good, just that the whole best center thing is belied by (1) my own eyes and his regression last year and (2) the analysis done by sources I trust.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:38 pm

What source do you read, slappybrown? How did Fernando Velasco compare to Pouncey in 2012?

One article I read (forget where) that Pro Football Focus ranked Velasco the #12 center in football last year.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:41 pm

For stuff like that, I read Pro Football Focus, Football Outsiders, Cold Hard Football Facts, and Advanced NFL Stats. Chris Brown at Smart Football is good too, but he's obnoxious.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:12 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Rocco wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Given that you read the same advanced stats sites I do that are tracking this stuff on a play to play basis, I think you know that those metrics indicate he's not as good as conventional wisdom suggests. That doesn't mean he's not very good, just that the whole best center thing is belied by (1) my own eyes and his regression last year and (2) the analysis done by sources I trust.

He slipped last year but was excellent the two prior years. I can't fault a guy for having his play drop off when he's saddled with two sacks of crap in Foster and Colon on either side.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Suisham has a hamstring injury and may not be available. Thankfully the greatest kicker ever Shayne Graham is available and is ready.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Wonder what Jeff Reed is up to?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:40 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Wonder what Jeff Reed is up to?

Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:51 pm

If Velasco is as good as Legurski was I'll be satisfied but by all means he looks better.

I'm fine with Graham too, he doesn't suck which is all we need right now unless we lose 8-7 after he misses a 20 yard FG.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR