Pens vs Blue Jackets (Pre-season) Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens vs Blue Jackets (Pre-season) Official Game Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:19 pm

And to get back on topic, I missed mentioning Harrington and Pouliot (and I know people want to hear about them).

I didn't really notice them, to be honest. All things considered, I guess that's a good thing. IIRC, they (along with Dumoulin) did a good job of exiting the zone and getting the puck moving forward. Other than that, they were invisible (which, again, is probably a good thing).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:09 pm

The Caps did beat Winnipeg in a shootout, the rest of the league better look out.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:07 am

SolidSnake wrote:The Caps did beat Winnipeg in a shootout, the rest of the league better look out.

There's a banner for that.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:13 am

rgj wrote:well....I see that Malkin has started up right where he left off..........lovely pass, Geno. Just lovely.

Preseason habits become regular season habits....just ask Roethlisberger.

Especially if you've had those habits for most of your career. And they both have. They're "good with the bad" kind of players or is "great with the awful?"
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bse on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:50 am

I thought Pouliot looked decent with the puck
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:23 am

NashvilleCat wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:The Caps did beat Winnipeg in a shootout, the rest of the league better look out.

You think Caps fans realize yet they aren't in a division of push overs anymore?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:31 am

Watched the first 2 periods:

-Thought Neal and Bennett looked sharp for 4 days into this preseason.
-Watching Scuds on that 5 on 3 brought tears to my eyes (knew jackets were scoring second he came off the ice)
-Pouliot looked hesitant to shoot on the PP but when you have Neal Bennett and Malkin to pass to, you will your first time
-I think it was Murphy earlier that said it but Harrington looks like the next Scuds. Didn't even realize he was playing.
-I think Dumoulin will start the year down in WBS but should be a good 5-6 injury filler on the big club this year.
-Ol' Chucky played like he wanted a spot on this team and I saw more out of him last night than I did from Glass on most night last year
-Vitale played like he wanted to be in the box most nights, Jeffrey played like he wanted to start most nights

Disclaimer: First preseason game so really can't judge too much (unless you're the Steelers offense)
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:55 am

Kobasaw: his 2 goals were nice to see but i liked even more what a saw away from the puck even more. He was defensively sound and played a good solid game. The 2 goals aside he still looked pretty good.

Geno needs to get a bit more disapline.

Poulitt looked ok at best. Still needs to mature a whole lot more. Harrington and Dumoulin looked pretty good.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:01 am

NashvilleCat wrote:

Shootout champs
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:10 am

Also thought Fleury played well, espicially after giving up 2 goals in the first peroid he settled down. Both of the ones he let in i couldn't really put the blame soley on him.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:33 am

It was interesting to see Niskanen wearing an "A" last night.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:55 am

Kobesaw > Glass. Can't see Disco doing the right thing though. Everybody on the ice needs to be a threat to score and Glass isn't. Personally, I never thought much of him as a checker or fighter to justify that part either.

Oh, and wanted to add that of all the D men I saw in the game last night, I was least impressed with Niskanen. I'm getting afraid that we won't get anything in a trade for him.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:06 am

First thing: Bylsma doesn't sign players to contracts. As of today, Chuck Kobasew is not a part of the team. That would require Shero making a move or two.

I agree that Niskaben looked bad, but I think it was more a by-product of knowing he's getting traded. He's still an asset with value. One preseason game isn't going to suddenly mean Niskanen has no value.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:28 am

I would like to hold off on all the Kobasew love. Yes, he scored two goals, but he was getting out-muscled all night long. He also looked sort of slow at times. Lets wait and see what he does for the rest of the preseason before we start penciling him into the starting lineup.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:35 am

I don't know what game you were watching
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:42 am

I didn't watch last night but I can't imagine Kobasew looked slow.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:42 am

SolidSnake wrote:I don't know what game you were watching

I actually watched it twice. They replayed it on NHL network right after they broadcasted it live. I knew after he scored the second goal everyone here would be on the chuck train... I am just not on board yet.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:44 am

He played well but I don't think overall as great as everyone thinks.

Based on nothing scientific I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling if our bottom six consisting of:

- 2 guys the rest of the league didn't want
- 1 guy was so in demand he was traded for a negative value
- 1 old guy from waivers years ago
- vitale and glass

Hoping Jeffrey makes some strides to add something but in reality we still will lack enough speed and grit overall.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 am

Players get signed off of PTO's all the time, and one would think Kobasew is a upgrade over Joe Vitale and Tanner Glass in terms of what he can bring to our bottom 6, no?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:59 am

MRandall25 wrote:Players get signed off of PTO's all the time, and one would think Kobasew is a upgrade over Joe Vitale and Tanner Glass, no?

Don't disagree. Still doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, our bottom 6 overall. Just don't like it.

I can't get excited if 4 of the guys were cast offs and the other 2 or 3 aren't good sans Sutter.. Not saying its scientific at all. Just saying. Reminds of Tangradi last year.

Some people using the fact they are fans to cloud a bit of judgement which is sometimes it is what it is or they are who they are.

This isn't meant to bash anyone at all just to say regardless of the preseason I'm just not that excited about those 6, and it will really shine when one or two of our top 6 are out especially if its for an extended period of time.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:02 am

I feel good about Sutter on the third and Vitale if he's on the 4th. Thats about all i've got.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:08 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Players get signed off of PTO's all the time, and one would think Kobasew is a upgrade over Joe Vitale and Tanner Glass, no?

Don't disagree. Still doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, our bottom 6 overall. Just don't like it.

I can't get excited if 4 of the guys were cast offs and the other 2 or 3 aren't good sans Sutter.. Not saying its scientific at all. Just saying. Reminds of Tangradi last year.

Some people using the fact they are fans to cloud a bit of judgement which is sometimes it is what it is or they are who they are.

This isn't meant to bash anyone at all just to say regardless of the preseason I'm just not that excited about those 6, and it will really shine when one or tow of our top 6 are out especially if its fr an extended period of time.

i suppose the silver lining is that the bottom 6 was pretty wretched last year, and we still got the top seed in the conference. of course there's that thing about our lack of scoring depth being the major reason we lost to boston...but at least we got an atlantic division banner?

the other thing is that sutter and kennedy had just about the worst chemistry i've ever seen. even though i think TK is a better player than d'agostini, kobasew, or jeffrey, these guys can't be a worse fit for sutter. that's nearly impossible.

so overall, i don't think our bottom 6 is much worse than it was last year - despite how pitiful it looks on paper
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:55 am

D'Agostini get hurt on Friday or Saturday?

Wasn't listed in morning skate lineups.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:09 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I don't know what game you were watching

I actually watched it twice. They replayed it on NHL network right after they broadcasted it live. I knew after he scored the second goal everyone here would be on the chuck train... I am just not on board yet.

I don't think people are rushing off to get Kobasew jerseys but he played well and deserves praise.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:45 am

At practice on saturday, when I watched Kobasew, I thought he would be taller.
Today in the PG, D Molinari writes that Sid wants time on the PK. He wants to be involved.

Penalty-killing for Crosby?
Center Sidney Crosby, who is slotted to remain a secondary penalty-killer, wasn't one of them.
"Sidney Crosby is going to play a role on our penalty-kill, will continue to play a role on our penalty-kill," Bylsma said. "It's not his major role on our team. He will be there."

"I've always tried to stay on top of it in case I go out there," said Crosby, who has attended meetings for penalty-killers throughout his pro career.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2f4SIHbPn

Great to read; better to see it happen on the ice. Evgeni should be getting involved in PK too. These 2 need defensive skills honed.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins