invite gagne to camp?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

invite gagne to camp?

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Not signing in Philly. Always liked his game. He has been injured a lot but he is worth at least a tryout where there is nothing to lose
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: invite gagne to camp?

Postby Pitts on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:28 pm

For what? Towel boy? He's done.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Would be pointless. Gagne is done.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Scoring winger is not a need. They need sandpaper, not china glass.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Pitts wrote:For what? Towel boy? He's done.

seeing how our 3rd and 4th lines are questionable at best , i dont see how it could hurt. No it wouldnt be for towel boy, you have that job locked up
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Simon Gagne is not a bottom 6 player. You can't just take someone who has played the role of a goal-scoring winger their entire career and say "Hey! You suck now, you're going to play 4th line!"

It's pointless. I'm not even mentioning the countless concussion and groin issues.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:15 pm

sjnhiils wrote:

seeing how our 3rd and 4th lines are questionable at best , i dont see how it could hurt. No it wouldnt be for towel boy, you have that job locked up

Didn't say it would hurt, just useless...and I would LOVE that job! Could you imagine having access to the bench, locker room and everything else every single game of the season??
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:16 pm

He's one Flyer I always liked, but I don't think he's got much left at this point. Even if he does have some game left and could look into the future and see him remaining healthy, the things he does well aren't what this team needs.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:22 pm

sjnhiils wrote:

He would be useless on the 3rd or 4th lines. He's not going to give you grit or any of what you need in those lines. His game is made for a top 6 role, but age and injuries have caught up to him at this point.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:58 pm

sjnhiils wrote:

an okay response until the weak ending, but props for not immediately jumping into: "this board has served its purpose for me" and flouncing away.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:58 pm

If no one else is going to, yes please. I like the guy and want him to get looked at. Hopefully hed show something in camp and someone would pick him up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 pm

He would never do that to his Flyers
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:27 am

I thought I read that he was going to Montreal's camp?

*edit nvm I guess that hasn't happened yet: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=431717
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:12 am

SolidSnake wrote:He would never do that to his Flyers

He might actually sabotage us, John LeClair style....
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:30 am

MRandall25 wrote:Simon Gagne is not a bottom 6 player. You can't just take someone who has played the role of a goal-scoring winger their entire career and say "Hey! You suck now, you're going to play 4th line!"

It's pointless. I'm not even mentioning the countless concussion and groin issues.

:thumb:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:32 am

It worked for Satan. :pop: :wink:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:05 pm

canaan wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Simon Gagne is not a bottom 6 player. You can't just take someone who has played the role of a goal-scoring winger their entire career and say "Hey! You suck now, you're going to play 4th line!"

If you read the flyer message boards, almost all wanted him back and thought he would solidify the third line. He could also move up to the second line if needed as well as play on the 2nd power play unit and penalty kill. We gave up Joe Morrow for Brenden Morrow and a 1st round pick and two prospects for Iginla and everybody thought shero was a genius. Morrow ended up on the fourth line while Iginla, after playing his entire caree at right wing, ended up on the left side and eventually the third line. Gagne has more wheels left then they did, but i guess he is not worth at least a tryout!!!
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:24 pm

You're quoting Flyers fans. That doesn't say much.

Just because Flyers fans want him back, doesn't mean it's a good idea. In fact, I think it would pretty much be the opposite.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:28 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
canaan wrote:

If you read the flyer message boards, almost all wanted him back and thought he would solidify the third line. He could also move up to the second line if needed as well as play on the 2nd power play unit and penalty kill. We gave up Joe Morrow for Brenden Morrow and a 1st round pick and two prospects for Iginla and everybody thought shero was a genius. Morrow ended up on the fourth line while Iginla, after playing his entire caree at right wing, ended up on the left side and eventually the third line. Gagne has more wheels left then they did, but i guess he is not worth at least a tryout!!!

well, of course they think that. they arent sold that tye mcginn is NHL ready. who do you bump out of the lineup in an already cluttered scenario? its not a fit that benefits this team.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:55 pm

And to add, Morrow and Iginla are not good comparisons. They are able to play the grind-in-the-corners style that is effective on any line.

Gagne is a perimeter player, soft in the corners, and is easily injured. He cannot play a 3rd line role.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Gagne is one of thoes players i hear the name and think of the player that used to be. So on initial thought i think give him a chance. But over the years i have seen enought Gagnes come and go to realize he should hang them up. Leclair was on on the ones i thought, "Holly wow we need that guy" ... then seeing him play thoes ifrst couple games i thought "who the hell gave hima contract."
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:04 pm

no name wrote:Gagne is one of thoes players i hear the name and think of the player that used to be. So on initial thought i think give him a chance. But over the years i have seen enought Gagnes come and go to realize he should hang them up. Leclair was on on the ones i thought, "Holly wow we need that guy" ... then seeing him play thoes ifrst couple games i thought "who the hell gave hima contract."

Was that before or after he injured Malkin?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimjom on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:09 pm

I didn't think they had the cap space but I like the idea. He still has some game left.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins