Clearing cap space?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Clearing cap space?

Postby the riddler on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm starting to get the feeling that Despres is becoming expendable. He's had a pretty good chance to grab a spot in the lineup the last two seasons but hasn't for whatever reason. I think Niskanen, Bortuzzo, and Engelland will be 5-6-7 unless they decide to move Niskanen. Dumoulin and Despres will be the first players called up. Maybe Maata will get a look for a few games but it's probably best to let him have another year in Juniors and then next year he'll have a real shot at making the team.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:44 pm

the riddler wrote:He's had a pretty good chance to grab a spot in the lineup the last two seasons but hasn't for whatever reason.

Get rid of Despres and who's going to play top 4 minutes next year when Malkin + Letang's contracts kick in? This is why we need to keep these young D developing on track, so they can provide cheap talent.

Besides, Despres looked stellar last year when he took on a bigger role. It was only when he got marginalized that he lost his conifdence. That's an issue for him to work through (ups and downs), but he looks ready to work through that in the NHL, no matter what Rossi says.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:12 pm

pcm wrote:
the riddler wrote:He's had a pretty good chance to grab a spot in the lineup the last two seasons but hasn't for whatever reason.

Get rid of Despres and who's going to play top 4 minutes next year when Malkin + Letang's contracts kick in? This is why we need to keep these young D developing on track, so they can provide cheap talent.

Besides, Despres looked stellar last year when he took on a bigger role. It was only when he got marginalized that he lost his conifdence. That's an issue for him to work through (ups and downs), but he looks ready to work through that in the NHL, no matter what Rossi says.

While I slightly disagree about the level of Despres play. He seemed only on when not being pressured, which would show up at some point anyways - and he was awful in WBS and NHL more than he was good.

But I think your second point is an ongoing issue and debate. What happens next year and the following 1 or 2 if Despres doesn't work out....we only have 4 prime prospects, all dmen. UFA prices are still high.

If he works out we can still trade someone to get a couple of forwards and keep a core 4 and have decent cap numbers. If he doesn't and we are forced to trade one and roll with 3 we are starting to creep back into too many UFAs territory.

Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the riddler on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:12 pm

pcm wrote:

I don't disagree with you about Bylsma, especially when he continues to give a lot of minutes to Engelland. But Despres hasn't exactly run with his opportunity either, he is prone to making some bad mistakes. I'm not worried about the cap, it's going up next year. I don't think they would've gave the extensions they did if they didn't anticipate the cap to rise. There are some guys like Dumoulin, Harrington, and Samuelsson who could be on the team next year. Even Maata and Pouliot could have a shot.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:42 pm

pcm wrote:

Despres will need a contract before we start pencilling him in for next season. This is the final year of his ELC which means that even if he's still around, he's no longer going to be that cheap option.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:07 pm

I don't think he's going to be that much more expensive. We have his rights, he hasn't proven anything to warrant 2+, and his camp can throw he was never given a chance to show it all they want and it won't matter.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Just thought of something:

Edmonton has said they're looking for a "fighter" type. Pens are over the cap, and have someone who could probably fill Glass's spot on the 4th line in Kobasew. 2 birds with one stone: Tanner Glass to Edmonton.

I know fully well it probably wouldn't be that easy.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Z could certainly replace him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:41 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Just thought of something:

Edmonton has said they're looking for a "fighter" type. Pens are over the cap, and have someone who could probably fill Glass's spot on the 4th line in Kobasew. 2 birds with one stone: Tanner Glass to Edmonton.

They need to get rid of more than just Glass. While it technically gets them $667 under the cap... they would not be able to replace anyone that gets injured.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Just was looking at the reassignments and the line-up for the next exhibition that came out today. The coaches are giving REAL long looks at Pouliot and Maata and the fact that both of them and Bort and Depres are playing tomorrow just seems to not be a coincidence.

I've been really watching Maata lately and his first pass out of the defensive zone. It is the stuff that makes Byslma glow. From what I'm seeing now, I'd be willing to bet that the coaching staff is really putting a lot more thought into things than most of us may think they are. I'm ready for a little excitement.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Jim wrote:

They need to get rid of more than just Glass. While it technically gets them $667 under the cap... they would not be able to replace anyone that gets injured.

Duh. It's not a "this or nothing" type of move. Just one of the possible moves to get done, because Glass makes more than he's worth.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Maata looks poised, confident, and smooth. He had the smallest of hiccups defending a Blue Jacket at some point. But on any other d-corp, he makes the team. It'd be great if he got a 10 game tryout. But I don't really see how, unless they're fine sitting Niskanen (or he gets moved).

Based on camp, Bortuzzo looks like this team's #5. He's exactly what you want on the bottom pairing, as he's tough to play against.

I'm expecting Despres gets sent down for a day at least to LTIR Vokoun. I'd keep Engelland around as the #7. But all total, Despres, Bortuzzo, and Maata should be getting NHL minutes. Just not going to happen unless Ray ships one of the top 4 guys or injury strikes.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:57 pm

It's great to have some real intrigue and competition in camp for a change. Having talented youth around really makes things interesting.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:20 am

Per Rossi:
The Penguins' plan was to reassign defenseman Simon Despres to AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. His cap hit ($840,000) would have just about made the team cap compliant, and because he is on an entry-level contract, Despres need not clear waivers to play in the AHL.

Does this mean for a day or so or for an extended period of time? Dude needs to be a part of our top 6.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:29 am

Man, the trib writers are terrible...

That aside, from Shero's quotes in the paper today, it looks like Kobesaw is going to get himself a contract. Probably means DAgostini gets sent to the minors for a litte extra cap relief. Sounds like maybe Glass gets sent to the minors as well.

That space will be needed as another goalie needs to get added to the roster. Zatkoff makess $.57m. But I could definitely see Shero wanting to hedge his bets and add a guy like Bryzgalov right now while he can. Otherwise, if things don't improve with MAF, Shero will be looking at dealing a major piece to try and get a guy like Jonas Hiller down the line. But adding a vet backup is still another $1-2m cap space needed...

The plot thickens.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:14 am

Agree :thumb: Kobasaw should be on the team come opening night. Glass hasn't panned out.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:18 am

The CBA allows teams to deduct up to $925,000 of the salary of a player with a one-way contract -- which means he is paid the same amount whether he is in the NHL or the minors -- from the club's cap hit if he is assigned to the American Hockey League.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2fiYO7rf6
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 am

pcm wrote:Man, the trib writers are terrible...

That aside, from Shero's quotes in the paper today, it looks like Kobesaw is going to get himself a contract. Probably means DAgostini gets sent to the minors for a litte extra cap relief. Sounds like maybe Glass gets sent to the minors as well.

That space will be needed as another goalie needs to get added to the roster. Zatkoff makess $.57m. But I could definitely see Shero wanting to hedge his bets and add a guy like Bryzgalov right now while he can. Otherwise, if things don't improve with MAF, Shero will be looking at dealing a major piece to try and get a guy like Jonas Hiller down the line. But adding a vet backup is still another $1-2m cap space needed...

The plot thickens.

What is wrong with what Rossi wrote? I cant stand him or Dejan but Im not sure its a stretch Despres was going to be sent down. Cap issues plus the fact he has not been played well it seemed like an option.

Whats gong on with the Pens cap right now is what we were all worried about. An injury (and I am not sure how it 100% effects the cap) that needs replaced on a team that was struggling to fit 23 players under the limit anyways. I still would not be surprised that at some point during the season we see a somewhat shocking salary dump/trade. Especially if we get off to a poor start. If not next summer will prove to be just as tough to build as roster as this was.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 am

There's no room for Despres on the roster, as long as Niskanen is around.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:38 am

I just think he's a terrible writer. What was that last line about Flower wilting? Is this a high school essay? Or the J Martin article where he repeats "Blysma also hired somebody who" 4 paragraphs in a row... Yikes.

I agree about a potential surprise salary dump/trade at some point. The only real candidates though are MAF, Orpik and Martin. I can't see Neal getting moved. Everyone else has either a neglible salary or a brand new contract.

Can compliance buyouts happen during the season?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:40 am

But I could definitely see Shero wanting to hedge his bets and add a guy like Bryzgalov right now while he can.

By the sounds of the article i read this morning. The Pens have faith in Zatloff for the short term and giving Fleury a heavier work load until they get an idea how long Tomas will be out. (sp).
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:05 am

Thats what fleury needs, a greater workload. Goalies have such great track records in the playoffs when they go over 65 games in the regular season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:11 am

Yeah, I got the sense that while they think Zatkoff is ready to handle some games, they're concerned about Fleury having to play more. That's the whole reason they got Vokoun in the first place. Plus it basically says they don't believe Zatkoff is a feasible backup in case Fleury goes down or out. Which they shouldn't, given that he's never played an NHL game.

But there's plenty of stories of first-year goalies breaking into the NHL with a bang. So who knows what will happen? But goaltending is now the Pen's biggest concern moving forward, if it wasn't already.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:34 am

pcm wrote:Yeah, I got the sense that while they think Zatkoff is ready to handle some games, they're concerned about Fleury having to play more. That's the whole reason they got Vokoun in the first place. Plus it basically says they don't believe Zatkoff is a feasible backup in case Fleury goes down or out. Which they shouldn't, given that he's never played an NHL game.

But there's plenty of stories of first-year goalies breaking into the NHL with a bang. So who knows what will happen? But goaltending is now the Pen's biggest concern moving forward, if it wasn't already.

I think we are stuck keeping Zatkoff as the back up for now. If you sign a goalie he is on the books all year that might make it hard cap wise if Vokoun comes back mid season. Also you want to keep cap room availible come deadline day incase you have other needs that Ray has to address. Would Bryz or Hedberg accept a 2 way contract so we can bury them in the minors if Tomas gets back soon?
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:46 am

1. Sign Moose
2. Back up Fleury til Vokoun returns around trade deadline; gets Pens into playoffs
3. Bury Fleury in minors, free up cap space for trade deadline
4. ???
5. Profit.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins