Fleury is done

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury is done

Postby MarioLives on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:50 am

So I guess the real question is...what MAF ever a good goalie? Or did he always suck, and just got lucky? I would say reading this thread, he has always sucked. Intersting................
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:53 am

At this point I feel more safe with Miller in net then MAF
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:56 am

SolidSnake wrote:At this point I feel more safe with Miller in net then MAF

yeah, probably. but what does trading fleury for a guy who is 3% better do to the country club? is it better to keep a well-liked team mate or give him up for a marginal improvement?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:01 am

shmenguin wrote:

yeah, probably. but what does trading fleury for a guy who is 3% better do to the country club? is it better to keep a well-liked team mate or give him up for a marginal improvement?

How do you open up the extra $1.25 mil to fit Miller?

Why would you pay more for a guy who will more than likely give you the same?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rugbymuffin on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:09 am

IMFC wrote:Anytime someone tries to change their approach to something, they are going to take a step back before going forward again. anyone that thought there was a magic switch that would just fix things is wrong.

+1

I am on the Fleury bandwagon. I think he bounces back.

Not to mention how many more knee jerk reaction threads we will see through out the year, makes this whole topic kinda silly.

A good thread would be an over/under on how many "Trade _____" we will see for each player, and "Fire _____" for each coach.

Like for example, I bet there will be at least 15 "Trade Malkin" threads this year.

I don't understand the threads myself, only Philly trades players like trading cards.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rugbymuffin on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:12 am

MarioLives wrote:So I guess the real question is...what MAF ever a good goalie? Or did he always suck, and just got lucky? I would say reading this thread, he has always sucked. Intersting................

Fleury is the goalie for the team Sydney Crosby is on. The media LOVES the Penguins. They love to slobber love all over them when they are good, and they love, absolutely love, to kick them when they are down.

Thus, I do not think it is too much of a streak to say Fleury is what he is, and in the past has been over-hyped for his abilities.

I think he is a solid NHL goalie. The biggest difference is more times than not he vanishes in the playoffs.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:27 am

Would the Pens have won the cup with, say Vokoun in net? Probably.

Would the Pens have been embarassed 4 years in a row in the playoffs since then with Vokoun in net? Probably.

This team goes where Sid and Malkin take them, and that's been nowhere for a while now.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 am

shmenguin wrote:

Hopefully it would help stop the country club attitude. And... using your numbers, give us a 3% better chance of winning.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:50 am

MarioLives wrote:So I guess the real question is...what MAF ever a good goalie? Or did he always suck, and just got lucky? I would say reading this thread, he has always sucked. Intersting................

... or maybe he just can't handle being a starting goalie. Maybe if the pressure was on someone else he would thrive a bit better.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:52 am

Jim wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Hopefully it would help stop the country club attitude. And... using your numbers, give us a 3% better chance of winning.

not really. that math would assume that a goalie is the ONLY factor in wins and losses.

but your point about the country club is taken. though they showed no interest in that path when they didn't fire bylsma.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:58 am

shmenguin wrote:but your point about the country club is taken. though they showed no interest in that path when they didn't fire bylsma.

I had hopes that the attitude would change when Staal was moved... but maybe as he had no interest in staying they did not see it as a shot.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Jim wrote:

... or maybe he just can't handle being a starting goalie. Maybe if the pressure was on someone else he would thrive a bit better.

Seemed to handle it fine when he won the Cup.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:14 pm

And I used to be a good warz player. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:25 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Jim wrote:

So then, what happened? Because he can't handle it now... at all.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blurryhaze312 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:29 pm

I personally think the guy is shell shocked from a poor all-around team defensive strategy/execution, coupled with a playoff or two of bad luck on his part. Snowball effect.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Round and round we go with this Fleury discussion. I hope he gets traded so people can stop grinding their axes.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Jim wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Jim wrote:

So then, what happened? Because he can't handle it now... at all.

That's the million dollar question.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:54 pm

J-Z for the win. Say it ain't so.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:55 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Jim wrote:So then, what happened? Because he can't handle it now... at all.

That's the million dollar question.

Or, for $1.25M you get a guy that is 3% better :)
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:04 pm

So what other options are there? I've heard Ryan Miller, which is a lateral move at best. What about Victor Fast? Heck, even Tim Thomas might be lured out of Florida at the deadline. Moving goalies isn't exactly the easiest thing from a GM's perspective.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Jim wrote:

He's proven himself a very capable starter during the regular season. It's been when the pressure of the playoffs that things start to unravel.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:39 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

How do you open up the extra $1.25 mil to fit Miller?

Why would you pay more for a guy who will more than likely give you the same?

IMO it's worth the risk, niskanen, glass aren't of any use and maf would have to be jettisoned no question but all that could of happened and it's still worth the risk instead of keeping maf
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:01 pm

I think MAF has been as advertised, if I remember scouting reports coming out of the draft. He's been what I expected warts and all.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:03 pm

We still talking about this? We need a new outrage thread on the practice group list and lines used in practice today.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:14 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:I personally think the guy is shell shocked from a poor all-around team defensive strategy/execution, coupled with a playoff or two of bad luck on his part. Snowball effect.

This is pretty much it. The team had no answer for the aggressive play of the Flyers and Islanders, it was just turnover after turnover. Everyone watched the puck and tried to react in their own end. When the penguins played well against the islanders, they shut em out in game 5 just as they did in game 1 with Fleury in net. It's like watching Ben Roethlisberger behind his offensive line, there is an obvious discomfort with happy feet, short-arming the ball, and an all around panicked attempt to try and do too much.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins