Clearing cap space?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Clearing cap space?

Postby The U on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:05 am

Not entirely cap related since he basically makes the vet minimum, but after watching Kobasew/Harry Z/and other young guys play in these preseason games, how can you justify keeping Craig Adams on the roster?
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:06 am

Package including Fleury for Miller
Orpik for non-roster draft/prospect package

Bryzgalov is not going to sign to eventually get sent to the minors. I could see Hedberg signing but then retiring which would not reduce the salary cap. I do not think that there are any NHL goalies (even backups) that would be willing to accept a position that 100% meant a trip to the minors in a few months.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:11 am

If Vokoun was healthy he would start the season as a backup (even though he's better than Fleury).

Craig Adams will start on line 4 while Harry Z or Kobasew are sent to the minors or cut (even though they are faster and bring more to the table 5-on-5).

Maata and Despres will be cut while Nisky and Engel play every night.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:13 am

Jim wrote:Package including Fleury for Miller
Orpik for non-roster draft/prospect package

Bryzgalov is not going to sign to eventually get sent to the minors. I could see Hedberg signing but then retiring which would not reduce the salary cap. I do not think that there are any NHL goalies (even backups) that would be willing to accept a position that 100% meant a trip to the minors in a few months.

Miller is a quality goalie but also a cancer in the locker room.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:16 am

The U wrote:Not entirely cap related since he basically makes the vet minimum, but after watching Kobasew/Harry Z/and other young guys play in these preseason games, how can you justify keeping Craig Adams on the roster?

Resigning Craig Adams was questionable not even including Kobasew and Zolnierczyk. Adams is decent at what he does, but there are young guys that can step in and fill his shoes. Signing a 35+ 2-year contract just sticks you with the hit. However, now Kobasew comes along and you might not be able to sign him because your have a $700K salary blocking you for that roster spot.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:25 am

no name wrote:Miller is a quality goalie but also a cancer in the locker room.

He only has 1 year left so if he does turn out to be bad for the room/team you can cut ties rather quickly.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:49 am

pcm wrote:That aside, from Shero's quotes in the paper today, it looks like Kobesaw is going to get himself a contract.

Good. Kobasew has earned himself a contract and a spot on the roster, IMO.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:51 am

GSdrums87 wrote:1. Sign Moose
2. Back up Fleury til Vokoun returns around trade deadline; gets Pens into playoffs
3. Bury Fleury in minors, free up cap space for trade deadline
4. ???
5. Profit.

Can't. Fleury would have to clear waivers to go down to the AHL and he has a NMC in his contract that prevents the team from placing him on waivers.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Trade Glass and let Sill stick. He is physical on the forecheck, has been great on faceoffs and he can more than handle himself when dropping the gloves. Check out some of his fighs on youtube (kennedy,Schrock,Cowick) He's got a great left,he doesnt stop and I think he could really energize the fourth line and the crowd.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:16 pm

Sill-Vitale-Z

That's an energy line.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:24 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:Sill-Vitale-Z

That's an energy line.

what about adams? without his leadership, we would have flamed out in the playoffs over and over the last few years.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Fleury for Giroux + for leadership and to make the trade even.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:54 pm

shmenguin wrote:

That's an energy line.

what about adams? without his leadership, we would have flamed out in the playoffs over and over the last few years.

Nobody is more important then Adams
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:47 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

That's an energy line.

exactly. he's the key to our penalty kill. without him, i don't know how we would have been 25th in the league last year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:22 pm

shmenguin wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

That's an energy line.

exactly. he's the key to our penalty kill. without him, i don't know how we would have been 25th in the league last year.

Haha ouch
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Maybe trade Glass for a pick and sign Chad Larose for under $1 million if they can
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:27 pm

Chad Larose is garbage. There is no need to add someone if they somehow were able to get rid of Glass' salary (no one is trading anything for him). It would simply be addition by subtraction.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Jim wrote:
no name wrote:Miller is a quality goalie but also a cancer in the locker room.

He only has 1 year left so if he does turn out to be bad for the room/team you can cut ties rather quickly.

Yes but if he doesn't pan out we have no franchise goalie. Then we have to go shopping via free agency or trade. I don't think it would be managing our assets very good.

Just based on ability i would take Miller over Fleury any day of the week. Granted i don't think He would be a up for top goalie of the league on this team. We just don't focus on defence like Lindsey Rupp and the Sabers used to.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Should I feel guilty about kind of wanting Geoffrey to be waived?
He's usefully versatile, but I can't imagine that he has much more of an upside than we've seen.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pcm on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:58 pm

columbia wrote:Should I feel guilty about kind of wanting Geoffrey to be waived?
He's usefully versatile, but I can't imagine that he has much more of an upside than we've seen.

I bet you'll be surprised this season.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:23 pm

pcm wrote:I bet you'll be surprised this season.

I'd be ok with that. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:34 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Chad Larose is garbage. There is no need to add someone if they somehow were able to get rid of Glass' salary (no one is trading anything for him). It would simply be addition by subtraction.

5 times over 10 goals(Two 19 goal seasons including one only two years ago) Good in the locker room and a fan favorite due to his style of play. I guess our bottom six can all top that!!! Shero puts himself in this position every year with questionable signings and whenever someone is suggested to bring in on the cheap they are "garbage" When you are up against the cap you are not bringing in any young 30 goal scorers !!!
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:41 pm

He scored all of 4 points last year. That's a pretty large drop off in production from one year to the next (doing some digging, it appears as though his stats were a product of playing on a line with Eric Staal), and like his stats he has completely dropped off the face of the earth. Didn't even show up to his exit interview with Carolina. His career is likely done.

As an aside, no one is suggesting bringing in 30-goal scorers (because they'd never be a 30 goal scorer on the bottom lines).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:42 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Chad Larose is garbage. There is no need to add someone if they somehow were able to get rid of Glass' salary (no one is trading anything for him). It would simply be addition by subtraction.

5 times over 10 goals(Two 19 goal seasons including one only two years ago) Good in the locker room and a fan favorite due to his style of play. I guess our bottom six can all top that!!! Shero puts himself in this position every year with questionable signings and whenever someone is suggested to bring in on the cheap they are "garbage" When you are up against the cap you are not bringing in any young 30 goal scorers !!!

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... lina-know/

Larose fell off the planet. You can't sign someone who doesn't want signed. This isn't NHL 14.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Larose fell off the planet.

Man, that's rough! I keep telling everyone, you gotta keep your gravity!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins