Center Ice Reminder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Center Ice Reminder

Postby nocera on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Renewals are rolling out for Center Ice. I received mine on my newest DirecTV statement. Just a heads up that if you don't want to renew, you need to call and cancel before you get charged.

Looks like 4 payments of 39.99.

I called and attempted to get some money off (DirecTV gave me $10 off a month for Sunday Ticket). They ended up giving me an additional 10 bucks a month off of Center Ice. It's not much, but it helps.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Center Ice Reminder

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm pretty annoyed because I want to try to get a discount, but I'm moving in October and by the time i'm getting cable set up, i doubt i will be able to get anything.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm pretty annoyed because I want to try to get a discount, but I'm moving in October and by the time i'm getting cable set up, i doubt i will be able to get anything.

I don't know if its still offered, but they used to have a movers deal where if you move, they basically reset your service so you get the deals offered to the new customers. I'd look into that.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Yeah i'm going to call and explain the situation.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:34 pm

I wish they would offer gamecenter for 1 week as a free trial. This way we could figure out if we want to buy it versus the nhl centerice package. I would hate to buy the gamecenter then realize it sucks and then have to pony up the cash for nhl centerice.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SixTeaSix on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:58 pm

In past years, they offered a Free "trial" period. Like the first week or ten days of the season. Would be nice even if they offered preseason games. I love Center Ice.
SixTeaSix

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:13 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I wish they would offer gamecenter for 1 week as a free trial. This way we could figure out if we want to buy it versus the nhl centerice package. I would hate to buy the gamecenter then realize it sucks and then have to pony up the cash for nhl centerice.

If you have a good internet connection and don't mind a delay up to a minute from live tv, its good.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:09 pm

SixTeaSix wrote:In past years, they offered a Free "trial" period. Like the first week or ten days of the season. Would be nice even if they offered preseason games. I love Center Ice.

I'm sure they'll offer the free trial period again. this past Sunday Directv had a free trial of Sunday Ticket. can't ever remember them doing that before. I suppose it depends on your provider but for me most pre-season games are viewable in Roots via the Sports Pack. sadly for me though I will be on vacation during most of the pre-season games.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:18 pm

shoeshine boy wrote:
SixTeaSix wrote:In past years, they offered a Free "trial" period. Like the first week or ten days of the season. Would be nice even if they offered preseason games. I love Center Ice.

I'm sure they'll offer the free trial period again. this past Sunday Directv had a free trial of Sunday Ticket. can't ever remember them doing that before. I suppose it depends on your provider but for me most pre-season games are viewable in Roots via the Sports Pack. sadly for me though I will be on vacation during most of the pre-season games.

If you're outside of the viewing area, NHLN is airing three Pens preseason games.
Sept. 15 6 p.m. ET Pittsburgh vs. Columbus
Sept. 21 4 p.m. ET Columbus vs. Pittsburgh
Sept. 25 7:30 p.m. ET Pittsburgh vs. Detroit

Here's the rest of the schedule: http://www.sbnation.com/2013/9/4/469198 ... n-schedule
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby midd on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:43 am

It's hit and miss with Directv. I called and got Sunday Ticket for $4.99 a month. Some people even got the Max for free. Others have not been so lucky and got no deals.
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nocera on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:10 pm

midd wrote:It's hit and miss with Directv. I called and got Sunday Ticket for $4.99 a month. Some people even got the Max for free. Others have not been so lucky and got no deals.

I've heard stories of people threatening to switch back to cable and getting incredible deals. I'm terrible at that. I'm afraid they'll call my bluff and I'll cry and say "you're right. don't make me leave you."
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:04 pm

I think it's ridiculous that its 2013 and Comcast still only offers 2 games in hd per month.

Who honestly watches standard definition anymore?

Comcast sucks!
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:42 am

pens2005 wrote:I think it's ridiculous that its 2013 and Comcast still only offers 2 games in hd per month.

Comcast sucks!

yes, they truly do. if I was a Flyers fan (living outside Philly's broadcast area) with Center Ice, well first I'd hate myself for being a Cryers fan but I'd be pretty pissed!
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:10 am

pens2005 wrote:I think it's ridiculous that its 2013 and Comcast still only offers 2 games in hd per month.

Comcast sucks!

Did you mean to type two per night? (which is still rediculous)

Where I live, Comcast has two HD channels on center ice - and I don't think I've ever seen them both showing a game. So it's bad enough that they only have two HD channels, but it's really annoying when one of them is always showing this:

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Well, looks like I'm not seeing Pens games on tv this year.

Got this email from Directv today:
Effective October 1, 2013, Pittsburgh Penguins hockey games will no longer be available for viewing by DIRECTV customers in your ZIP code on ROOT SPORTS®. Unfortunately, neither NHL® CENTER ICE®, nor DIRECTV SPORTS PACK is an alternative to receive Pittsburgh Penguins games, as they are blacked out in both of those packages within your ZIP code. We apologize for this programming inconvenience, in this continued effort to keep programming costs low and minimize rate increases to customers.

I'm furious. Any other options? Games will also be blacked on GameCenter.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:28 pm

You need a proxy for your IP to watch on GameCenter (I feel like I'm using the wrong word, but something that masks your location).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:32 pm

I can always get a stream online but man I'd much rather have it on tv and pay for it.

How can I be in the viewing area and outside of the viewing area at the same time? F'n NHL...
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:35 pm

What you've described sounds more like a DirectTV problem (the zip code thing)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:36 pm

I can't vouch for how well the fee for service proxy servers work, in terms of games that are blacked out in Game Center.
However, if you can get one of those to work, running an HDMI cable to your tv gives pretty good results. That's what I do, because Xfinity can't be bothered to offer CI - or any of the other sports packages - in HD.

Good luck.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby nocera on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:42 pm

MRandall25 wrote:What you've described sounds more like a DirectTV problem (the zip code thing)

You're right. It's a Directv/Root Sports issue. It shouldn't be blacked out on Root.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:49 pm

I'd call and complain to DirectTV. Seems to be the only thing you can do aside from switching providers.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BrianPensFan on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Nocera, Whats your Zip Code?
BrianPensFan

Postby aoneil66 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:03 pm

nocera wrote:Well, looks like I'm not seeing Pens games on tv this year.

Got this email from Directv today:
Effective October 1, 2013, Pittsburgh Penguins hockey games will no longer be available for viewing by DIRECTV customers in your ZIP code on ROOT SPORTS®. Unfortunately, neither NHL® CENTER ICE®, nor DIRECTV SPORTS PACK is an alternative to receive Pittsburgh Penguins games, as they are blacked out in both of those packages within your ZIP code. We apologize for this programming inconvenience, in this continued effort to keep programming costs low and minimize rate increases to customers.

I'm furious. Any other options? Games will also be blacked on GameCenter.

It is most certianly an DTV cost cutting decision. DTV did the same thing to me for the Pirates, who are one of the three local teams where I live (Bucs, Indians, Reds). DTV chose not to pay Root for the broadcast rights for the Pirates and Extra Innings would black out the games b/c my zip was local to the Buccos. Sounds like the exact same thing for you in this instance.

I laid into them with email after email, at least 10. They wouldn't give me any reasons other than "keep programming costs low". My only alternative was to switch to Dish...but sunday ticket keeps me with DTV. You might want to look into Dish.
aoneil66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nocera on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Yup. Talked to DirecTV, all they told me was it was dispute between the NHL, ROOT and DirecTV. Basically, nobody is going to get Penguins on the Sports Pack anymore. And I can't get it on Center Ice. So... yeah. I actually WANT to give them money and I can't. Looks like I'm going to illegal streams. Great.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luuke on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Same boat here. I've fired off emails to everyone I could find at ROOT, DirecTV, the NHL, and the Penguins, knowing it probably won't do any good. Also, DISH isn't the solution. My brother lives next door, and has DISH. He was blacked out of the Pens on ROOT and Center Ice last year. I don't see how they can in the same breath say the Pens are the local team, so I'm blacked out on Center Ice, and ROOT isn't a local channel, so I'm blacked out there as well. It's worse for me, as I live in the middle of nowhere, so the only fast internet is Verizon mobile, which is limited per month. I would blow through my data cap in a night watching online streams.
Luuke

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins