Shutting off my cable. How to watch the Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shutting off my cable. How to watch the Pens?

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:32 am

Candleonwater wrote:Most of this thread goes right over my head. We live in Virginia, and my daughter is begging me to find ways for her to watch more games... her first thought was to just take her to pittsburgh... that gets quite expensive! We have comcast ( which sux!). What is my best LEGAL way to watch the most games? I don't have a problem listening through the app, but "radio" doesn't keep her attention.

I live in Virginia as well and I used NHL Center Ice the last 2 years through Verizon FiOS. It is great because you get most games and since I have the standard cable package I got VS/NBCSN and NBC for nationally broadcast games. The only issue I had is when the NHL Network would broadcast the Pens (which seemed to be every 3rd game in the shortened season) and I couldn't get it.

This year, I just cancelled NHL Center Ice yesterday and am signing up for NHL Gamecenter. It's a little cheaper and it seems I'll be able to get the same service (all games minus ones on NHL Network) plus I have the versatility of watching it on the TV through my Xbox or on my laptop if it is Friday night and the wife wants to watch those stupid wedding/bride shows on TLC. I was also enticed by the ability to watch games after they've happened so I don't have to use up space on the DVR.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MelicharSux on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 pm

If you're using a VPN, you can get GCL for $99.99 for the year or $19.99. I'm guessing it's outside of the USA. I just signed up and it worked fine.

:fist:
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:34 pm

What VPN service are you using
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MelicharSux on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Unblockus. It's $5 a month and I use it for mlbtv
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby nocera on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Heads up to Center Ice folks, renewals are starting. It's on my next bill. Planning on calling Directv and seeing if I can get some money off. Worth a shot.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:34 pm

If you order game center is there a time period to test it out and cancel?

I am moving to Chicago and the apartment complex forces you to use their TV/internet (pick a plan but pay the complex, can't get upgrades on internet, ugh) so I am concerned that I order this, pay all this money, and the internet sucks too bad to stream games in the evening when everyone in the complex is at home and using the internet.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Netflix HD is 3Mbps. Vudu HDX is about 10Mbps, and thats considered the best streaming quality service there is. So if you can get at least 3 downstream you should get pretty good quality from NHL.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stick_Flex on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:15 am

Mango Salsa wrote:So I'm looking at ways to cut expenses and my cable is at the top of the list. The only things Ill really miss are watching the Pens and Top Gear. I'm just wondering how people without cable or dish or those outside the area watch the games?

Can I get FSP via antenna? I'm in Beaver Falls.

Live stream on the web?

Help a brotha out

Top gear UK I hope. Too gear USA is a big fat joke, lol
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Firebird on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:43 am

reddit.com/hockey

or search google for reddit hockey. I've found it to be the best online streaming (paste links in the VLC).
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby neophool on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:59 am

is there a way to watch games after they are over? i am unable to watch many games live and have no cable/gamecenter live. i know streams work but how can I watch games after they have been aired?
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:09 am

neophool wrote:is there a way to watch games after they are over? i am unable to watch many games live and have no cable/gamecenter live. i know streams work but how can I watch games after they have been aired?

gamecenter
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mephisto1812 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:10 am

Crankshaft wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:
mig991 wrote:HockeyStreams is the best answer. If you sign up by Sept. 1st price is $100.

No blackouts plus OHL, QMJHL, WHL, AHL, KHL, etc. Best service I have ever paid for on the Internet.

Don't be surprised if you log on and see this:

Yea, I would never pay $100 for a blatant illegal service.

This is my third year using Hockeystreams.com. I stream with a Roku, and I'll never go back to Gamecenter Live. I couldn't be happier with the service.
mephisto1812

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Testing out local blackouts with the Canes and NHL network games I can confirm I get the Pens feed when it should be blacked out locally and can get both feeds for NHL netowrk feeds. Tonight is aisles at Hawks, weird thing is the hawks feed had the NHL net ticker on the bottom.

Unblock.us definitely worth the $5 seeing as now Timewarner charges $9 for the sports tier to get NHL net
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Wrap your head with aluminum foil and hum in the key of G while pointed NNW.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:57 pm

DelPen wrote:Testing out local blackouts with the Canes and NHL network games I can confirm I get the Pens feed when it should be blacked out locally and can get both feeds for NHL netowrk feeds. Tonight is aisles at Hawks, weird thing is the hawks feed had the NHL net ticker on the bottom.

Unblock.us definitely worth the $5 seeing as now Timewarner charges $9 for the sports tier to get NHL net

I'm extremely happy with unblock-us. Especially now that the nhl cracked down on vlc streams, it's the only reason I'm able to watch the Pens. Customer service is great too.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:35 pm

As an aside, you can also change your netflix region. Some movies I love are only available in certain regions, Hot Fuzz in Canada along with every movie that HBO is getting and Zombieland and what seems like every recent Disney movie, for UK.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:18 am

DelPen wrote:As an aside, you can also change your netflix region. Some movies I love are only available in certain regions, Hot Fuzz in Canada along with every movie that HBO is getting and Zombieland and what seems like every recent Disney movie, for UK.

Yeah. Unfortunately you need an instant watch only subscription.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FrozenNuts on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:40 pm

hudlander wrote:
knives of ice wrote:subscribe to gamecenter. subscribe to unblock-us for $5 a month so you don't get any blackouts. hook your computer up to the tv via hdmi. problem solved.

You really don't "save" since it comes to 70 bucks a year unless it includes the NHL package.

So you're yearly price is $170 which is $14/mo. This is better than paying $100+/mo for cable TV/internet service in which I don't want 99% of the channels. Instead I'll pay $60/mo for decent internet and save $25+ a month.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:03 am

had to goto Williamsburg for a training and got lucky the Hooters bar was able to pick up the game Tuesday night. So i didn't have to try to watch it over the wireless in my room.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins