Dexter Anyone? **Possible Spoilers Ahead**

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Dexter Anyone? **Possible Spoilers Ahead**

Postby IanMoran on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:12 pm

I thought the season got better as it went on. I agree it wasn't an AMAZING OMG ending, but I don't really think it deserves the uproar against it that this thread has.

Overall, a very good series. I think people started to naturally compare it to BB too much... which any show loses to
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:27 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I read spoilers for the last 4 episodes, and the first 3 were dead on, however, they had the finale being that Quinn confesses to Dexter that he has known about him all along and that he let it go because he knew that Dexter was doing the right thing (i.e. killing bad guys). Quinn kills Saxon as revenge for Deb, and Dexter runs away with Hannah. Compared to what I read, I thought the finale was better than I expected, especially with the spoilers being dead on for the 3 preceding episodes.

I would have liked this better. I also would have liked the version of dexter on the execution table.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Masuka had one line in the finale, wtf is that?
hannah sucks
if he didnt need to kill anymore, what is there to protect hannah and harrison from in the new land? i'm sure there are opportunities in argentina to be a walking beef jerkey commercial.
i was hoping quinn would get busted for being a filthy cop, but instead...nothing
batista ended the series in the dark about every single thing that happened from day 1.
hannah sucks
everything Pitts said
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Kaizer wrote:Masuka had one line in the finale, wtf is that?
hannah sucks
if he didnt need to kill anymore, what is there to protect hannah and harrison from in the new land? i'm sure there are opportunities in argentina to be a walking beef jerkey commercial.
i was hoping quinn would get busted for being a filthy cop, but instead...nothing
batista ended the series in the dark about every single thing that happened from day 1.
hannah sucks
everything Pitts said

Everything Kaizer said.

I defended this show for 8 years to be screwed like this. F you to all the Dexter writers.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:52 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:F you to all the Dexter writers.

"Harry is not actually dead" apparently was an idea bounced around in the writers' room at one point during the later seasons.

So yeah.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:53 pm

At one point I thought Zack would become the new Dexter and Dexter would die making him Zack's Harry...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:09 pm

For the record, I never said Hannah sucks. I was in love with that stunning woman from day 1! :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm glad I stopped watching the last 3 episodes and just read the synopsis online. How disappointing.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:39 pm

I would have been fine with dexter making it to Argentina and it ending with some allusion to him killing there as well. Despite all the changes, he is what he is. Blah, but keeping with the show.

Didn't get the point of Deb dying. I think some of the other characters are so one dimensional that maybe the writers just figured what's the point of doing anything with them.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:42 pm

MWB wrote:I think some of the other characters are so one dimensional that maybe the writers just figured what's the point of doing anything with them.

Well, they strung everyone along with that stupid Masuka story line all season only to never answer it. But, maybe that is your point.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Pitts wrote:
MWB wrote:I think some of the other characters are so one dimensional that maybe the writers just figured what's the point of doing anything with them.

Well, they strung everyone along with that stupid Masuka story line all season only to never answer it. But, maybe that is your point.

Yeah, that's my point. They added these pointless plot lines and the accentuated how pointless they were by doing nothing with them in the end. Also, you basically could have taken Quinn and Batista completely out of the series and it would change nothing.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:31 pm

So Dexter waltzes into a hospital during a catastrophe without issue, unplugs Deb without setting off any alarms, no crash cart shows up, nothing, then he carries what is obviously a body wrapped in a sheet out the front door and through a crowd of people without a single one happening to look in his direction, then gets onto his boat and drives off into a hurricane, somehow surviving and making it all the way to canada?

This is shortly after the protective detail on Deb's room is inexplicably absent when Saxon approaches? Yet somehow Saxon need not ever even get to Deb, as a **** BLOOD CLOT is what kills her?

And all storylines surrounding Masuka, Batista, Jamie, and Quinn are completely ignored, and their entire purpose in this season was simply fluff?

And the ongoing theme of the whole series focuses on Dexter's transition from monster to human, such that he gets to a point where he no longer has a desire to kill, yet because Deb died as a result of Dexter's FORMER actions, he can no longer be with his family and has to live a life of solitude? What was the point of the character change then?

Look, i get that Breaking Bad set the bar high, but this is way beyond that. They took this show in such an awful direction and ended it so poorly that they gave the entire series a major black eye, which the show will be remembered for way more than the good seasons.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the riddler on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:09 pm

The ending didn't sit well with me.

Spoiler:
I understand Dexter wants to punish himself and save Hannah and Harrison, but why move somewhere and become a lumberjack. Isn't it possible at some point that he will change his mind and maybe want to find Hannah and Harrison. If they were going to do it this way then why not turn himself in. I would've taken more seriously his desire to punish himself for the rest of his life.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:So Dexter waltzes into a hospital during a catastrophe without issue, unplugs Deb without setting off any alarms, no crash cart shows up, nothing, then he carries what is obviously a body wrapped in a sheet out the front door and through a crowd of people without a single one happening to look in his direction, then gets onto his boat and drives off into a hurricane, somehow surviving and making it all the way to canada?

This is shortly after the protective detail on Deb's room is inexplicably absent when Saxon approaches? Yet somehow Saxon need not ever even get to Deb, as a **** BLOOD CLOT is what kills her?

And all storylines surrounding Masuka, Batista, Jamie, and Quinn are completely ignored, and their entire purpose in this season was simply fluff?

And the ongoing theme of the whole series focuses on Dexter's transition from monster to human, such that he gets to a point where he no longer has a desire to kill, yet because Deb died as a result of Dexter's FORMER actions, he can no longer be with his family and has to live a life of solitude? What was the point of the character change then?

Look, i get that Breaking Bad set the bar high, but this is way beyond that. They took this show in such an awful direction and ended it so poorly that they gave the entire series a major black eye, which the show will be remembered for way more than the good seasons.

this sounds like every other season

-weak secondary story lines
-abandoning all realism
-total cop out endings that make everything incredibly low stakes
-just nothing new or interesting

dexter was never that good of a show. season 1 thrived off of a new, interesting premise and michael c hall. but the rest of the cast was terrible, and there was nothing of note going on other than dexter's plot - which involved a dance sequence to "slow ride". because that's normal. season 4 took a risk with rita's death. it was the only singular exceptional moment of the entire series. and they never did anything like that again, from what i gather. that was the biggest mistake - avoiding change and risk. it was always lather rinse repeat.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Azkar on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Pitts wrote:Hannah happens to be carrying horse tranquilizers in syringes as she's attempting to flee the country as a Most Wanted Fugitive...for real?

Dexter packed "A few essentials" in the bag.

That was quite possibly the worst ending to any TV show ever.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Spangler on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:36 am

PensFanInDC wrote:At one point I thought Zack would become the new Dexter and Dexter would die making him Zack's Harry...

Then Zack dies and makes the subplot a waste of time.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:22 pm

I think I've mentioned on here before, but I binge watched Dexter seasons 1-4 in about two weeks during our semester break about two years ago. I am still stunned at Rita's demise - almost the same level of revulsion as the Red Wedding in Game of Thrones - and I really think when you watch that much of a character in a short span of time, your opinion of the show is different than normal weekly viewing (and off season waiting).

I generally see a decline after season 4 for that reason, although I put Dexter's bad seasons ahead of most network programming.

It's a shame that Michael C. Hall had to compete with Cranston, Dinklage, Hamm, Kyle Chandler, and so on for Emmy Awards during Dexter's run. He is a phenomenal actor in this role and should have more trophies to show for it. I think his co-stars didn't help the cause, unfortunately.

I didn't particularly like the ending, abandoning his son to Hannah. I liked his burial of Deb, despite its implausibility. Did he plan on dying in the storm and ended up surviving? Oh well. I'll miss Dexter, regardless of the ending.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:27 pm

I am curious as to what direction they are going with in terms of the spin-off.

First everyone thought it was going to be about Deb (obviously can't happen unless it is a prequel)

Then everyone thought it was going to be about Zach being the next Dexter, and Dexter being his Harry

Finally, it was thought that it would be a Quinn centered spinoff, where he turns into the next Dexter (if the spoilers ended up being true and he ended up killing Saxon)

I can't imagine it being about Dexter and his new life as a lumberjack, though with how this series went, I guess that wouldn't surprise me. Though if this was the case, wouldn't they just have a season 9 of Dexter?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:40 pm

After that horrendous finale and the almost universal hatred of it from the fans, I think they'll hold off on any spin off for a while.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 60sixx on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Something to ponder:

"Dexter's new life is symbolic and has a great meaning. According to writer Scott Reynolds' responses via Twitter, Dex lives a new life in Oregon. As for his new job as a lumberjack he's now surrounded by the sound of chain saws everyday. A chain saw was the reason it all started. And that's some kind of a self-punishment for what he did to the most important people of his life."
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:14 pm

A show centered around Quinn? My god.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:27 pm

I know the books veer off quite a bit from the show, and I couldn't get through the first book entirely (not sure why, but it wasn't very compelling for some reason, despite being a big fan of the show) - but is there an end in sight for the books? I know there was a new book out recently called Dexter's Final Cut, but it has to do with actors interviewing Miami Dade Metro Homicide for research on a movie.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:58 pm

No spin off please. Just leave it ended.

Although, I did read online somewhere that there is supposedly a Dexter movie in the works which spins off the ending on the series. Take that with a grain of salt though.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:43 pm

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Lolz to the pictures.
meecrofilm