Official GDT: Pens vs Sabres 10/5/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Sabres 10/5/13

Postby Shakes on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:28 pm

MarioLives wrote:
Agree, but it does not take a genius to cheer during a score of any type of game

I wouldn't read too much into his reactions or his interview. And certainly not his intelligence.

andrew mccutchen ‏@TheCUTCH22 6m
Definitely gotta come back to another Pens game! Had a blast! I see u Fleury carrying the Jolly Roger on the ice! #PensAllDay
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:29 pm

pens2005 wrote:
Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:Really happy so far with the 3rd D pairing of Bortuzzo and Maata.

CFA actually has 2 goals right? I know I've watched both games, but part of me still thinks this might be the longest dream sequence of all time.

Don't get too used to it. No matter what Maata isn't staying even though he is WAY beyond his years. He stays over Niskanen if I'm in charge.

Good luck trying to send Niskanen back to juniors.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:14 pm

I agree, Maatta shouldn't be sent back after what we've seen so far. He's better than Despres, Bortuzzo, and especially Engelland. I also agree that its highly unlikely the Pens keep him. They don't go with young guys. Its just not how Shero and Bylsma roll.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:18 pm

farnham16 wrote:I agree, Maatta shouldn't be sent back after what we've seen so far. He's better than Despres, Bortuzzo, and especially Engelland. I also agree that its highly unlikely the Pens keep him. They don't go with young guys. Its just not how Shero and Bylsma roll.

The fact that Maatta can go back to junior is a big strike against him given the Pens' depth at the position. However, if they send him back after 9 (or fewer) games, it won't burn a year off his contract.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:20 pm

DelPen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Sucks that Maatta is ineligible to play in the AHL.

Big time. I'd hate to see him regress in juniors because the competition isn't enough.

IMO, there really isn't anything else for him to learn at the junior level. His feel for the game is unreal. He's not going to improve that much by playing another year there.

Who freaking cares if he's only 19, if he's good enough then he should be here. And he's clearly one of the 7 best dmen the team has, including when Letang is healthy.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:22 pm

tfrizz wrote:
farnham16 wrote:I agree, Maatta shouldn't be sent back after what we've seen so far. He's better than Despres, Bortuzzo, and especially Engelland. I also agree that its highly unlikely the Pens keep him. They don't go with young guys. Its just not how Shero and Bylsma roll.

The fact that Maatta can go back to junior is a big strike against him given the Pens' depth at the position. However, if they send him back after 9 (or fewer) games, it won't burn a year off his contract.

Yeah, I just don't care about that stuff. He's one of the best the organization has right now. Are we more worried about burning a year of his contract, or putting the most talented players on the ice?

Plus, the Pens are an old team. Having a little youth served wouldn't be a bad thing.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:29 pm

farnham16 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Yeah, I just don't care about that stuff. He's one of the best the organization has right now. Are we more worried about burning a year of his contract, or putting the most talented players on the ice?

Plus, the Pens are an old team. Having a little youth served wouldn't be a bad thing.

I agree, but they've still got to clear a roster spot once Letang & D'Agostini are ready to return. Since they very clearly prefer the waiver-exempt route, the only options are Bennett to WBS or Maatta to London.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:35 pm

tfrizz wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

I agree, but they've still got to clear a roster spot once Letang & D'Agostini are ready to return. Since they very clearly prefer the waiver-exempt route, the only options are Bennett to WBS or Maatta to London.

You are correct no doubt. I'd prefer the getting rid of Engelland and Glass option more though.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cagsjr724 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:38 pm

I agree that Maatta needs to stay but I want to see how he plays in away games. The home team will most likely send out their first line against him and 41 since the home team has last change. I've had 6 beers so I apologize if this post makes no sense lol
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:43 pm

Maata looks pretty good now, but I will be shocked if he isn't sent back to his junior team after 9 games. With the number of bodies they have at D, I can't see them burning a year of his contract. The first 2 games have also been fairly easy with the Pens jumping out to early leads against teams that have trouble scoring goals... it's too early to predict that he will maintain the same level of play. I expect they will bring him along slowly.. for this year at least. A spot or two maybe opens up for him to step in next year.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:02 am

Yeah, Maatta is going to get sent back down, and I'm 100% ok with that.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:29 am

Was Kobasew bumped to 4th line,his 10min were the lowest last night?

Maata will get sent down yes,but it will be tough for him in juniors,mentally to get ready again.. NHL and back to juniors two totally different worlds.. I rather see Engo gets waived or traded..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:19 am

If Maatta is sent back to Juniors, the best thing for him to do is to tear it up. It will be on him not to pack it in since he played in the show.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:03 am

pens2005 wrote:
eberhard wrote:Bennett needs to stop sticking out his skates like that....he did it twice in the third.

Anyway, 2-0 start, all lines scoring, JM system already installed, Crosby with 2 goals already...LGP!!

Ovechkin has 4 :pop:

And half as many wins despite playing one more game :pop: :pop:
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 am

No complaints from me, if they're actually going to play defense this year.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby the wicked child on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:22 am

Pens4Life wrote:Maata will get sent down yes,but it will be tough for him in juniors,mentally to get ready again.. NHL and back to juniors two totally different worlds.. I rather see Engo gets waived or traded..

Yes, it certainly crushed Letang's career when they did that with him...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:51 am

Did anyone notice maatta being on the ice for many d zone faceoffs ?

Me neither. Insulation city. He's got boat loads of talent, but he's not playing on a contender in may. Let him fight for niskanen's spot next year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:20 pm

I don't see any way the penguins keep Maatta up as a 5-6 guy to waste a year. If he was a top 4 guy - they might do it, but I don't see them wasting a contract year on a guy so young to play as a 5-6, especially with guys a bit more seasoned either injured or in WB.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Cagsjr724 wrote:I agree that Maatta needs to stay but I want to see how he plays in away games. The home team will most likely send out their first line against him and 41 since the home team has last change.

We've also played two pretty inept teams as well.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 pm

whenever it does actually happen, maatta will start his career here as a 5-6, so they're going to "waste a year" no matter what.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins