OFFICIAL GDT: 10/11/13 PENS at PANTHERS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: 10/11/13 PENS at PANTHERS

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Just got back from the game and finished reading this entire thread.

1. Zatkoff looked horrible all night. While the first goal was a pretty good shot, it still seemed like a stoppable one. He seemed rattled from that point on. Not impressed with him at all. Yes, just one game, but he looked ba double d badd.
2. The entire team looked flat and lost most of the game. Compared to how smooth and controlled their breakouts have been the first few games, they looked like a team that hasn't played in a month. Sloppy passing, just nothing really generated offensively.
3. Glad to see I'm not just a whiner about the officiating. I sat there half the game wondering why the officiating was so bad 4 games into the season. Swear I saw Mario go on a breakaway dragging a Nordique down the ice with him. The non-call on the PP when Bennett was baffling (granted, there were zero replays other than goals on Florida nice brand new scoreboard). It seems like every time they play the Panthers, the officiating sucks.
4. After Zatkoff looked bad the first two goals, I started paying attention to Maata instead. I thought he had another solid game, especially against Florida's top 2 young players Huberdeau and Barkstrom. Huberdeau tried to fancy stickhandle around him and he broke up the play, and did something similar with Barkstrom. He looked strong all night, and seemed to have good acceleration. Bortuzzo didn't look to bad either, although I did see he was a minus 2.

I've seen some bad Penguins teams before Crosby play some bad games here in Florida, but this is defintely one of the worst games I have watched the Pens play in person with the talent they have. They just seemed to have no jump or energy. I know Jokinen got hurt and that had an affect, but it also appeared after he came back that Bylsma was changing the lines up almost every shift. Hopefully they decide they want to play hockey tomorrow. Didn't seem like it tonight. I did like Crosby going after the Panthers player for the hit on Dupuis. Was it dirty, not that I could see....seemed a tad late, but again, no replays for me.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 pm

The Pens rarely play well in Miami/ Florida in General... They tend to vacation diwn there rather than work.

It's 5 games in but Brooks looks slow and old. His spot on the roster it for the taking... And his salary in someone else's bank account.

Zatkoff didn't have butterflies, he had vultures.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby M10 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:00 am

Does anyone think Orpik is actually going somewhere? The fact that they brought an older, slower Scuderi back (for 4 years) is proof enough that they may not be depending on foot speed from defensemen all that much these days.

Orpik has been with this team since the dark ages. He's so much of an OG that he had a training camp with Jagr.

But really, he took a serious discount last time in deciding to stay here, no way Ray trades or neglects to sign him to an extension as he's fully capable of playing good defense and getting nasty in the playoffs as always.

This ...

Letang - Matta
Pouliot - Harrington
Doumilin - Despres

...Fantasy is at the very least 4 years away. However at the rate we make head cases out of young defensemen I'm going to go ahead and say that outside of Letang... Two of those guys will be with the team in 4 years.

Boom.
M10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:16 am

Orpik hasn't been nasty in the playoffs since 2009
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghThing on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:53 am

Would love to see someone ask Disco if Orpik's play this year has earned him an Olympic spot.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby marek on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:48 pm

BurghThing wrote:Would love to see someone ask Disco if Orpik's play this year has earned him an Olympic spot.

LOL
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins