Official Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Ad@m wrote:N.L Comeback Player of the year

1. Francisco Liriano, Pittsburgh Pirates-58
2. Mark Melancon, Pittsburgh Pirates-8
3. Marlon Byrd, Pittsburgh Pirates-6
4. Chris Johnson, Atlanta Braves-3
5. Jayson Werth, Washington Nationals-3

Very nice
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:34 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Twitter is a bad thing when it comes to sports.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:16 am

The FAN is replaying Burnetts interview with Dunlap, AJ will only pitch for the pirates or retire.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 am

Does he have an option or just needs resigned. Offer him like $4 million and see what happens.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:10 am

He's a FA. I'd make the offer in the 7-9 million range. I wouldn't want to piss em off.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:13 am

I wouldn't care if he didn't come back.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I wouldn't care if he didn't come back.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:06 am

Liriano and Cole are the only two pitchers I'd put ahead of AJ Burnett in this rotation. Locke and Wandy are huge question marks. Morton is a 4th-5th starter, and the soonest Taillion will be up is in June.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby viva la ben on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Clint Hurdle, NL Manager of the Year
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:56 pm

http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/10 ... riano.html

A few things the article doesn't consider:

1) The only lefty starting pitchers the Pirates have right now are Wandy and Locke, both of whom are question marks, and there aren't any top LHP starters in the upper levels of the system;

2) The Reds and Cards, as presently constructed, are vulnerable to lefty starters;

3) As much as we say teams should ignore PR and the fans, the optics of trading Liriano would not look good. People freaked out about the Pirates trading Hanrahan; this would be worse. This is partially a selfish reason, because I don't want to spend another offseason reading about how the Nuttings don't care about winning as the goalposts are moved back another 20 yards;

4) All of the reasons that the Pirates should trade Liriano are reasons that teams may not give up major prospects for him.

I don't think I would make trading Liriano a priority, though if someone wanted to make NH a godfather offer I'd listen.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Rocco wrote:4) All of the reasons that the Pirates should trade Liriano are reasons that teams may not give up major prospects for him.

Thats the big key. Does anyone really believe that the pirates would receive a top notch prospect for a guy with one year left on his deal, injuries in the past, and consistency issues throughout his career? Even though Lirano is relatively young, it does not seem likely. Its a stupid basis for an article.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:45 pm

viva la ben wrote:Clint Hurdle, NL Manager of the Year

:thumb:

surreal scene sunday at the steeler game; Hurdle and McCutchen surrounded by the people on the sidelines.

Congrats to Hurdle!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:56 pm

Was AJ Burnett there?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:14 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Rocco wrote:4) All of the reasons that the Pirates should trade Liriano are reasons that teams may not give up major prospects for him.

Thats the big key. Does anyone really believe that the pirates would receive a top notch prospect for a guy with one year left on his deal, injuries in the past, and consistency issues throughout his career? Even though Lirano is relatively young, it does not seem likely. Its a stupid basis for an article.

Teams do dumb things all the time. The Dickey trade was dumb on its face and Toronto still made it. Looking to cash in on Liriano isn't a bad idea since he's gone after this season. I just don't think any team will give the Pirates enough to make it worthwhile.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Was AJ Burnett there?

:lol:
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:15 am

Rocco wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

Teams do dumb things all the time. The Dickey trade was dumb on its face and Toronto still made it. Looking to cash in on Liriano isn't a bad idea since he's gone after this season. I just don't think any team will give the Pirates enough to make it worthwhile.

Shield's value is so much greater than Liriano's that I'll just ignore that he even mentioned that trade in this. The mets did get great value for Dickey considering his age and contract status. Dickey also had pretty low mileage and is a knuckleballer coming off a Cy Young award. His age factor was mitigated by his pitching style. He had been very effective and durable the three seasons prior to the trade, about 200 innings a year at a sub 3 era. There was plenty of reason to think that Dickey was in his prime and had several more years at the level in him. Plus he had the nice backstory and the prestige of the Cy Young.

You can't reasonably look at the Dickey trade and then look at Liriano and think there's that kind of value. One good season in the NL in a pitcher friendly park that favors left handed pitching. Unless of course some team is run by Dave Littlefield and thinks $6M for a power hitting corner infielder is unmanageable, there's no trade out there worth it for the Pirates.

More evidence for me that Tim Williams is amateur hour over there at Pirates Prospect. Again, just keep tallying up minor league performances and getting quotes from scouts and recapping the pay articles from Baseball America. Stop trying to analyze things, it's beyond you. You can't hype someone up as a trade candidate contingent upon another MLB team having Littlefield quality management.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:05 am

Marte, Cutch and Martin nominated for Gold Gloves. Cutch should win. Martin probably won't beat out Molina. Marte should win it.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Rocco wrote:Marte, Cutch and Martin nominated for Gold Gloves. Cutch should win. Martin probably won't beat out Molina. Marte should win it.

If my read of the records is correct, the Pirates have had three Gold Glove winners three times:

1966 & 1967 Mazeroski, Alley, and Clemente
1992 Lind, Bonds, Van Slyke

They've had two multiple times. Maz and Clemente (4); Maz and Haddox (1); Reuschel and Pena (1); Reuschel* and LaValliere (1)

* Reuschel was traded to the Giants late in the year that he won the Gold Glove so technically he was a Giant when he won it.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PhantomJB93 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Cutch will win, Marte should win but I wouldn't count on it, Martin has no chance against Molina but it's nice to see the recognition.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:00 pm

I dont see a reason that marte "should" win it. Maybe once he plays a full season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:26 pm

I guess being the best defensive LF isn't a good enough reason.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... &sort=25,d

Marte also led left fielders in runs saved.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagu ... elding::19

For the anti-advanced stats crowd, they now track holds and whatnot. He held the runner to not taking an extra base over 70% of the time- no one with more than 100 chances had a better percentage. People just didn't run on his arm, which limited his chances to rack up assists.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagu ... ing_lf::31

The problem is that Gold Gloves are often awarded to the best offensive player at that position, like when Nate McLouth won a Gold Glove. Carlos Gonzalez won it despite being a below-average LF last year and he was better in the field this year.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:30 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I dont see a reason that marte "should" win it. Maybe once he plays a full season.

No one has won it before with a few weeks on the DL?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:51 pm

I moved my seats for next year from baseline box 32 row G to field level box 6 row D. Not sure if thats an upgrade or not.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Rocco wrote:I guess being the best defensive LF isn't a good enough reason.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... &sort=25,d

Marte also led left fielders in runs saved.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagu ... elding::19

For the anti-advanced stats crowd, they now track holds and whatnot. He held the runner to not taking an extra base over 70% of the time- no one with more than 100 chances had a better percentage. People just didn't run on his arm, which limited his chances to rack up assists.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagu ... ing_lf::31

The problem is that Gold Gloves are often awarded to the best offensive player at that position, like when Nate McLouth won a Gold Glove. Carlos Gonzalez won it despite being a below-average LF last year and he was better in the field this year.

Cool stuff.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:03 pm

They give 3 outfielders gold gloves, not LF, CF, RF, right? If so, you'd have to be pretty amazing to win as a left fielder and even then you should have people asking why you're playing left.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR