Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:35 pm

The remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street is on AMC as i type this. Its actually not to bad, but you cant beat the original one liner spouting 80s Freddy.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:49 pm

I thought Gravity was incredible. Definitely a unique experience, felt like a them park ride more than just sitting in the theater. really excited to see it in IMAX next. I don't think I've ever felt so anxious sitting through a movie. Minor things didn't lessen the experience one bit for me.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:27 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:The remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street is on AMC as i type this. Its actually not to bad, but you cant beat the original one liner spouting 80s Freddy.

I thought it was pretty friggin awful. Jack Early Haley tried to be Freddy, but it just doesn't work with anyone other than Robert Englund. The script didn't help either.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:15 pm

ended up watching the Omen 3 prior to the Stillerz game. One thing that I've always found interesting while watching these movies is that even though Damien is pure evil, I don't really find myself rooting against him until he decides to kill all the babies in the 3rd movie.

The set I have also includes the remake of the first movie... guess I'll watch that next weekend. Still not really sure why it needed to be remade, but whatever.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:28 pm

I really want to see Bad Grandpa.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Grunthy wrote:I really want to see Bad Grandpa.

Ditto....ill probably go by myself since the gf thinks its dumb.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:59 pm

the wicked child wrote:$till not really $ure why it needed to be remade, but whatever.

:pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:45 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Shyster wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:As I was reading this I thought to myself, "That would be like me putting my beagles in dog sled rig, hitching the sled to a Winnebago, and trying to use that to commute to work."

That's a better analogy than mine. Also, as long as I’m on the subject, there are two more problems with the movie:

Spoiler:
First is the time it would take to execute those maneuvers. Even assuming the astronauts had magic thruster backpacks capable of providing an endless amount of high-thrust delta-v, it would still take quite a while to execute those burns. For example, when cargo missions are launched to the ISS, it usually takes a couple days for the Dragon, Progress, Cygnus, etc. to get there, and those capsules were all launched on courses specifically intended to get to the ISS. It would take far longer to adjust a completely different orbit into one that intersects the ISS. The astronauts would run out of oxygen and asphyxiate long before they got anywhere.

Second is the fact that the spacesuits would not have the instrumentation necessary for the astronauts to calculate and make those burns. For example, even a minor difference in orbital inclination could mean missing your target by thousands of kilometers. They don’t any way to calculate stuff like elevation, inclination, the location of the ascending and descending nodes to the ISS, or any of the other data that would be necessary to so that. And they can’t get that from mission control since part of the movie’s plot is that all communications have been lost.

And, yes, I learned all thus stuff playing Kerbal Space Program. In fact, the geeks I mentioned who already ran the calculations are posters on the official KSP forum.

My default go-to resource on this sciencey stuff is Neil deGrasse Tyson. He saw "Gravity" this weekend, and blurped out three weeks' worth of Tweets in the aftermath. Much of the Twitter explosion was pointing out some of the very basic factual and story errors, never mind the science stuff (my favorite along the latter line was "The film #Gravity should be renamed "Angular Momentum"").

In summary, he said the following
Neil deGrasse Tyson ‏@neiltyson

Mysteries of #Gravity: Why we enjoy a SciFi film set in make-believe space more than we enjoy actual people set in real space

Neil deGrasse Tyson ‏@neiltyson
My Tweets hardly ever convey opinion. Mostly perspectives on the world. But if you must know, I enjoyed #Gravity very much.

more science on gravity (contains spoilers)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64696
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:02 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:The remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street is on AMC as i type this. Its actually not to bad, but you cant beat the original one liner spouting 80s Freddy.

Hated it in theatres. All it was was loud.

Still want to see Carrie, and then Bad Grandpa comes out this Friday. So a flask of tequila and a double-feature seems to be in order.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:26 pm

watched about 30 minutes of Team America last night, haven't seen it in years. That movie is pure genius. Has to go down in history as one of the most offensive hilarious movies ever.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Watched The Great Gatsby on a flight back from Mexico. What a turd. I thought the acting performances were solid (especially Joel Edgerton), but the movie was just boring pretentious crap. Baz Luhrmann sucks.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:44 pm

eddysnake wrote:watched about 30 minutes of Team America last night, haven't seen it in years. That movie is pure genius. Has to go down in history as one of the most offensive hilarious movies ever.

AMERICA! F* YEAH!
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote: the movie was just boring pretentious crap. Baz Luhrmann sucks.

What? No way! The book is about pretentious people acting more pretentious.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:47 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote: the movie was just boring pretentious crap. Baz Luhrmann sucks.

and it actually followed the book pretty well, so...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:55 pm

eddysnake wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:I enjoyed world war Z

Good to hear, I'm going try and watch tonight

I really enjoyed World War Z, and I've read about half of the book (which is really quite good).

The two couldn't be more different, however....other than the zombies and some of the plot points (very minor).

Like others have said, there is no way you could get WWZ into a 2 hour movie. An HBO miniseries might work, with a GoT like budget, but even then it would be hard. Maybe a short run TV series where each interview is its own episode...?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:10 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:

I know. I've never actually read the book (good ole South Park didn't have enough copies; I was forced to "read" The Crucible instead), but knew it was also pretentiously pretentious. I'm not talking about the story though. It felt like the entire time Luhrmann was making the movie he was telling himself "this is going to be the greatest movie ever." And it wasn't. Because it sucked.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:47 pm

eddysnake wrote:watched about 30 minutes of Team America last night, haven't seen it in years. That movie is pure genius. Has to go down in history as one of the most offensive hilarious movies ever.

Definitely an underappreciated movie by many.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:49 pm

"SURPRISE, C******S!"
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:53 pm

blackjack68 wrote:

I couldn't even finish it. I think it's terrible. It may be the least funny movie I have ever seen and it's definitely one of the worst, and I watched it before my conversion so that has nothing to do with it. I thought the South Park movie and Baseketball were 2 of the funniest movies of all time too. Team America was just so bad to me.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:54 pm

There are only 2 movies I have not been able to finish; Team America and Altered States
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 pm

>Thinks Baseketball and SP:BLU were funny
>Hated Team America

Does not compute.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:There are only 2 movies I have not been able to finish; Team America and Altered States

Why the hate against Altered States? I haven't seen it in years but don't recall it being particularly bad.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby nocera on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:24 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:There are only 2 movies I have not been able to finish; Team America and Altered States

The only movie I ever walked out of remains The League of Extraordinary Gentleman.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:26 pm

scary movie two was the only movie i ever wanted to walk out of
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:32 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:

I couldn't even finish it. I think it's terrible. It may be the least funny movie I have ever seen and it's definitely one of the worst, and I watched it before my conversion so that has nothing to do with it. I thought the South Park movie and Baseketball were 2 of the funniest movies of all time too. Team America was just so bad to me.

I can understand when people say they are offended by the movie thus leading to disliking it. But I don't see you being the type offended by it. The soundtrack and serious direction of the puppets is enough to get me laughing everytime. Throw in countless ridiculous dialogue said by the most human looking puppets and you got yourself a winning combination. The whole thing is so absurd (and never really done like that before) that I can't help but admire it's greatness.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR