GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Berkshire Brewery Steel Rail

Tasty. More like a Blond Ale than anything else.

Spoiler:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby UVM2003 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:07 pm

I grabbed a four pack of Dirt Wolf at ho1kb over the weekend but realistically any six pack shop should have it as it was widely distributed. It's a pretty awesome DIPA - mosaic and citra hops galore and not aggressively bitter. Tropical.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:23 pm

So I ordered a keg of Commodore Perry IPA from great lakes for my wedding this weekend. Got a call from the distributor, "hey, we weren't able to get that in to our place. what else would you want?" This was ordered a few weeks ago... how is it that you decided the week before the wedding that you weren't getting it in??? Ended up with Burning River Pale Ale (which in my personal opinion is a better beer), but the week before a wedding is stress enough, why would they do that to a guy?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby eddysnake on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:06 pm

count2infinity wrote:So I ordered a keg of Commodore Perry IPA from great lakes for my wedding this weekend. Got a call from the distributor, "hey, we weren't able to get that in to our place. what else would you want?" This was ordered a few weeks ago... how is it that you decided the week before the wedding that you weren't getting it in??? Ended up with Burning River Pale Ale (which in my personal opinion is a better beer), but the week before a wedding is stress enough, why would they do that to a guy?

if you need some help testing the beer to make sure it's adequate, just let me know. I'm all for helping others in need.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Possibly NSFW

Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:29 am

had a Warlock last night. It was pretty tasty, silky smooth. I like the pumpkin and stout flavors going back and forth, but I think that will do it for my pumpkin quota for fall. Really wish ST didn't discontinue the OAT, going to try and hit up the brewery this weekend for leftover supply. My brother grabbed me a ten fidy as well, looking forward to it
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:45 am

So am I the only person that doesn't go wild over pumpkin brews? They're ok, but they aren't "ERMAGAWD THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!"
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 am

llipgh2 wrote:So am I the only person that doesn't go wild over pumpkin brews? They're ok, but they aren't "ERMAGAWD THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!"

this was the first pumpkin beer I have ever enjoyed.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:55 am

llipgh2 wrote:So am I the only person that doesn't go wild over pumpkin brews? They're ok, but they aren't "ERMAGAWD THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!"

I'll admit, when I first had Pumking on draft 5 years ago, I was blown away. As far as I'm concerned it's the zenith of pumpkin beers and nothing comes close to a pumking draft. I'd had Post Road years before that but thought it was pretty gross. The pumpkin beer craze has just flooded the market with a lot of meh's. Basically, if it were 5 years ago, I think your statement (ermagawd pumpking....etc) is valid. It'd be like complaining about someone touting greek yogurt over regular crap yogurt. It's not greek yogurts' fault this individual has been living under a rock for several years. So if you want to complain about people being late to the party...i'll agree.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:58 am

Pumking and the like are way too much for me, but I find I enjoy the "lighter" pumpkin ales more than the pumpkin stouts like that one. A little pumpkin flavor that isn't overwhelming.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:00 am

I have had Pumpking on draft, long before the pumpkin craze. Again, liked it, but it wasn't something I'd go out of my way to buy. So I had no interest in trying other pumpkins.

And I am not slamming people who like it now, I'm not a beer hipster. I just don't get it.

For what it's worth, I don't like brews made with apricots either.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:04 am

The Pumpkin Smash I had at Cascade in Portland was the best pumpkin beer I've ever had. They actually focus on developing the squashy flavor. It was like the difference between eating a banana and a banana Runts candy.

With that said, I've never been all over pumpkin beers. Pumking is still great -- I love the pie crust aroma that they are able to achieve. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin is pretty good, and I think Post Road is a fairly drinkable pumpkin beer.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:07 am

I'd just say, different strokes for different folks?

Not sure what your basing your observation on, but in this thread it's definitely been close to an even split. 1/3 love good pumpkin beer, 1/3 don't like pumpkin beer, and a 1/3 have no strong opinion on it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:08 am

Yeah, I agree with that.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 am

The pumpkin thing is something I have 2 or 3 of a year. I enjoy them, but it's not something I can have year round. I don't see anything wrong with those that don't like them as I understand they can be somewhat overpowering.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Possibly NSFW

incredible
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:35 am

I usually go through a phase with it. Track down Pumking and have a few on tap. If a place has it after I had my first Pumking sighting, I'll drink it again and try something else. It's usually Pumking (Southern Tier), Punkin (Dogfish), and Nunkin (East End). Everything else I usually tread lightly because of the clove/nutmeg overkill.

I heard some good things about Weyerbacher's pumpkin, but at $53 a case I didn't want to commit to it.

Imperial Pumpkin Ale! -August-September-October-November--

This 8.0% ABV pumpkin ale is the mother of all pumpkin ales. It is heartier, spicier, and more "caramelly" and "pumpkiny" than its faint brethren! We have added lots of pumpkin along with Cinnamon, Nutmeg and a touch of cardamom and clove giving this beer a spicy, full-bodied flavor. This truly is an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Perfect finisher on a cool autumn night, or match it up with a slice of pumpkin pie and fresh whipped cream.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:24 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Anyone ever have anything from Ellicottville Brewing Co., NY? Might be heading up there this weekend
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:44 pm

eddysnake wrote:Anyone ever have anything from Ellicottville Brewing Co., NY? Might be heading up there this weekend

this gentleman once ate at the ellicottville burger king on the way up to niagara falls. :pop:
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:03 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Anyone ever have anything from Ellicottville Brewing Co., NY? Might be heading up there this weekend

this gentleman once ate at the ellicottville burger king on the way up to niagara falls. :pop:

AWESOME!!!!!!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:46 pm

MWB wrote:Having Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout. Poured aggressively, as instructed. Very little head. Ok, not great.

Agreed.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:11 pm

I have not had a single pumpkin beer yet, and I quite enjoy pumpkins.

Now you know dat.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:15 pm

I like concept of pumpkin beers - and have enjoyed a few - but most of them seem to go for the pumpkin pie flavor zone.
That's not what I'm interested in.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:30 pm

Are pumpkin beers already disappearing. I looked for some on Monday and 2 stores were out. Just tried again tonight cause I really wanted some and found nothing. Only the Pumpking beer, which is very good, but like 6-8 per 24oz bottle
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR