Should we trade????

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Should we trade????

Postby owtahear on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Matt Niskanen? Like soon? He is at his highest, now with Letang back you have a logjam......we could use a backup goalie, a winger or even more, some higher draft picks.

I cannot imagine Matty Niskanen's trade value ever being higher than it would be right now. Just makes sense, clear cap room and get some needed assets.

Shame to move him, but right now it seems like the Michael Corleone move. "It is the smart play".

Thoughts??
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Should we trade????

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:51 pm

No Letang will be hurt tomorrow. Or no, Letang sucks.

Something like that.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Hate to say this but I didn't really miss Letang when he was gone.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:27 pm

I agree now is the right time to trade him his value will never be higher. But with Engelland moving to forward I can see Shero holding onto Nisky for the time being..
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:38 pm

I'dreally like to see bortuzzo back in the lineup. He needs to be playing. Else his great start to the season could be thrown away. So yes. Trade a dman. Our bottom 6 could really use some help holding on to the puck.

I wonder if we could swing a Niskanen for Panik deal.
Last edited by pcm on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:41 pm

I think logically that they should trade Maatta.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:41 pm

No shut up
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Is he the most likely trade candidate? Someone should create a poll.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby scals37 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Unless they're trying to score a veteran backup, I think the Pens are pretty content with depth they have.. Now that Scuds could be hurt, the depth looks nice
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:11 pm

Problem solved. This team can never stay healthy
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:25 pm

CERV96 wrote:Hate to say this but I didn't really miss Letang when he was gone.

Funny you mention that. I felt the same way. The defense plays a much simpler style when he's not in the lineup. This "rover" approach he has just results in odd man rushes against. Again, something that will kill them in the playoffs.

He needs to harness his talent and choose his spots better. The coaching staff needs to work with him.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Haven't been impressed with Orpik or Martin. God forbid DB breaks up our "shut down" pair...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Letang has managed to be tacitly responsible for 3 goals - against - in 2 games.

What a return!
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby SteelCityFan on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Letang makes me scratch my head and say "what the f was he thinking" at least 3 times a game. I just don't understand what goes through his head at times
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:52 pm

So wait... we should trade one of our better performing defenseman who makes a lot less than our worse performing defensemen?
Orpik's been dragging down anyone he's paired with the last few years. I really root for the guy, but he's been on the decline for a while now.
Letang is just a dunce.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tjand72 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:01 am

CERV96 wrote:Hate to say this but I didn't really miss Letang when he was gone.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:11 am

TRADE LETANG! I rather have Nisky at 2M and he make less mistakes...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:55 am

Poor Niskanen....he'll never get traded, at this rate. :slug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Froggy on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:23 am

Nisky is probably at the height of his trade value now, so if the plan was to trade him at some point this year, now would be a good time, depending on the return.

Whether or not it would make us a better team is a totally different question, though. I guess in the end, i don't think our long term success this season will hinge on his play, so if we could get a decent forward prospect or back up goalie (depending on knowledge of Vokoun's status i don't have) and a 2nd or 3rd rounder, I'd absolutely trade him.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iceolater on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:35 am

Yes, we shouldn't wait around until the trading deadline because the asking price and value in trade is getting much higher then it would be at this stage of the season. As to who should be on the block?

1. Brooks Orpik - Absolutely does nothing to help this team. He is past his prime when he would hit, clear the crease and meet on coming rushes at the blue line like Scott Stevens did with the Devils. Now he can't take a pass, (has to stop it, settle it down 2 second delay then react), hits but with not much authority or impact, and backs in as the oncoming rush is approaching him. (Look at Colorado ONLY goal..Orpik backing up and blocks Fleury's vision.) Sure he may be a great guy but this is a business and this team is loaded with young talent waiting to be called up.

2. Letang: Sorry folks, the guy still wants to be an offensive player and leaves his partner and Fleury out to dry. He is out of position, turns the puck over too much and Oli Maata is learning the bad habbits (Going high in the defensive zone while the other team scores on Fleury.) Letang is a $igned lock for 8yrs and his return would warrant more value NOW then it would if it is done at trading deadline. I don't see why Maata can't go to the side on the powerplay and do the same thing Letang is doing now. Trade off is Maata is cheaper and is talented and we can get more scoring winger.

3. James Neal: Yea, hate to say it but Nealers since his concussion is becoming somewhat of a "China Doll". Injuries are starting to add up for Neal and we need someone who can play wing, score and avoid injuries. Shame because, I like Neal when he is healthy. Great shot, but he like Letang, is Signed and proven that he can score, but we need someone who is going to be there on the line with Malkin who we are paying top $$$$. Malkin can't be playing on lines where it is "Let's insert this Winger here and then try this one." Neal hasn't been healthy the past few years and in this business, we need him to be.

4. Dupree: Duper is one I like as well because you get a good solid short hand role player and he plays on the top line. Not too mention, He is signed too. Easy to dangle him out there and package maybe him and Letang and get a strong return. Duper this year hasn't done much on Sids line and I am starting to doubt if he is a solid #1 line winger. We could easily get another top winger, (Yes SID will have to adjust) and with those 2 in a package deal, we could get some solid players in return.

Thought on Goalie:
Shero needs to sign a solid back up goalie: Not sure if Zatkoff (spelling) is the answer but I thought he did play better in game 2. However, if MAF goes down , we are in trouble. I am not sold on Zatkoff like I was with Volkoun. And with as much money as Shero has invested in this team, Goal could be an issue to watch out for. I have noticed a lot more interference within in the crease with bodies hitting into MAF. Just saying, that I am not comfortable with our Goalie situation if MAF goes down.

The Pens started out the season great, but since Letang's return, the defense is starting to run around and we are playing the same type of hockey that got us in to trouble in the playoffs. We can't continue to play a great 1st period, a lack lust 2nd period and then because of a defensive lapse or a give away at center ice, we loose it in the 3rd. Shades of last year starting to resurface its ugly head.

Shero with the advantage of having so many players under solid contracts, maybe making calls now. Don't be surprised if within a few weeks, some of this team is traded . I doubt Mario & Co. will allow this to go on when you can feel the same thing happening now, that happened at the end of last season in the playoffs.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:54 am

I'd kinda like to wait until Neal and Bennett get back and see what happens before going tradebonkers.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:56 am

I think they will be adding a dman between now and the playoffs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:56 am

Re: the above goalie thoughts

Asking Shero to trade for another backup in case MAf goes down... Any team will be screwed if their 1 and 2 go down unless a rookie goes on an unexpected streak. Good goaltending isn't very deep in the nhl right now. Pens were one of few teams in a good spot before vokoun went down. Expecting them to get a third competent proven goalie isn't really reasonable.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:26 am

You mean second? Ohhhhhhhh!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:30 am

How do you avoid injuries? By not playing?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins