NFL

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NFL

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:00 am

canaan wrote:Its naive to think that this doesn't happen in every locker room. They haze the crap out of rookies...sounds like the Miami crop went overboard with it.

+1
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 am

Bioshock wrote:Incognito will never play football again.

Neither will Riley Cooper :pop: . I was positive that he wouldn't at the time, and that the n-word would be the 3rd rail when he'd have to play with and against so many black guys. Wrong. Not saying he's not going to get chirped hard and hit a little harder the rest of his career but this now seems to be a dead issue. He had a huge day on Sunday.

Of course Incognito will play football again. He'll issue his statements saying how contrite he is, get on the talk shows.... We've seen this fish before. Being a talented pro athlete is one of very few careers where ability trumps pretty much anything you can say or do, unless you're incarcerated.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:22 am

Wait, he was leaving threatening voicemails for a team mate?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:48 am

canaan wrote:Its naive to think that this doesn't happen in every locker room. They haze the crap out of rookies...sounds like the Miami crop went overboard with it.

Yeah, this sounds like hazing on steroids.

I have no problem at all with the knucklehead stuff like forcing rooks to pay for dinners they didn't even get to attend, or trips they didn't go on, or taping every piece of equipment in their locker together. That's kind of garden variety silliness. But what Incognito is accused of doing is far beyond anything I've ever heard of with regard to hazing. It's borderline criminal in some cases.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:53 am

yeah, this seems a lot more than some guy "getting carried away" with the hazing.

Hazing is such a stupid ritual. I was in a frat and went through it. I was always of the mindset that some guys (me) go through it, and say that's stupid. I would never subject someone to that. What's funny was there was another "optional" hazing experience that one needed to go through to then go and haze other people. Needless to say, I didn't do it.

Then there are other people that get hazed, and then immediately can't wait to go and haze someone themselves. Those are people that I tend to disassociate with as life goes on.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:56 am

most of the hazing i've heard about oozes with homo-eroticism. joining a frat seems like it's a good way to indulge your secret fantasies.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:10 am

Like most bullies, Incognito went after someone who he could push around (Martin) and not someone who could have him put in a dumpster (Pouncey).
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:52 am

“I don’t feel like any hazing or anything like that was going on,” receiver Mike Wallace said. “It’s normal in football. People doing what they do on a normal basis. I don’t feel like anybody was being bullied or hazed. It’s what football teams do, like playing with your brothers. It’s just part of the game of football.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/05/3 ... rylink=cpy
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:55 am

shmenguin wrote:most of the hazing i've heard about oozes with homo-eroticism.

QFT.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Factorial wrote:
“I don’t feel like any hazing or anything like that was going on,” receiver Mike Wallace said. “It’s normal in football. People doing what they do on a normal basis. I don’t feel like anybody was being bullied or hazed. It’s what football teams do, like playing with your brothers. It’s just part of the game of football.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/05/3 ... rylink=cpy

says the guy who wasnt there for most of it
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:07 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:most of the hazing i've heard about oozes with homo-eroticism.

QFT.

When I was in college I worked in a 1 hour photo lab and saw some of the things they did. The worst was a when a brother was engaged they tied him upside down from a tree branch naked and pelted him with all sorts of things. On the plus side, I did get to see lots of photos of naked coeds.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Never understood hazing at all. Just seems dumb. Bunch of grown men acting like teenagers.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:43 pm

To be fair, it seems like most NFL players have the brains of a 14 year old. They make a tackle and then beat their chests and scream, much like an ape.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:43 pm

it's just strange. like, i have at least a couple of really good friends who i feel like i have a strong bond with. never in the history of our friendship have i ever wanted to shoot them with paintballs or tie them to a tree or see them dressed like a girl or do things to them while they were naked. it's a really bizarre way to bond. i think ultimately, it's just a way to rationalize a deep seeded urge to be a d**k.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Making them carry your shoulder pads, be first in line for oklahomas, last to drink the water... that's hazing. Not calling someone a racial slur
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:06 pm

I just don't see the point of hazing.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:09 pm

"It's all about trust" they say. A frat boy told me they would blindfold their drunken pledges and make them reach in the toilet and eat what was in there. It was a banana.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:10 pm

You can never trust the history of a banana.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:18 pm

skullman80 wrote:Never understood hazing at all. Just seems dumb. Bunch of grown men acting like teenagers.

Why I never joined a frat in school. The whole freshman hazing thing was stupid.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:22 pm

mac5155 wrote:Making them carry your shoulder pads, be first in line for oklahomas, last to drink the water... that's hazing. Not calling someone a racial slur

Yeah no problem with that kind of stuff. I don't even know if I'd call that hazing, more of just paying your dues. But, this stuff is disgusting
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:24 pm

ulf wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Making them carry your shoulder pads, be first in line for oklahomas, last to drink the water... that's hazing. Not calling someone a racial slur

Yeah no problem with that kind of stuff. I don't even know if I'd call that hazing, more of just paying your dues. But, this stuff is disgusting

Yeah. That stuff isn't hazing in the true sense of the word. Hazing is making the rookies feel uncomfortable by telling them you're going to kill them or smack their mothers up, and throwing racial epithets their way.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:17 pm

I understand 'hazing' (and I use the term lightly here, for lack of a better word) in the context of a sports team, or a military unit, or a firehouse or police station. Esprit de corps, unit cohesion, I get all that. But going out of your way to make someone who is a figurative brother feel emotionally wrought and uncomfortable is self-defeating. So not only is Incognito stupid, he's a special kind of stupid. Like the person that Tweeted out the question "What is Obama's last name? Anyone know?"
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:46 pm

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_ ... sment-case

Antrel Rolle wrote:"Was Richie Incognito wrong? Absolutely," Rolle told the radio station. "But I think the other guy is just as much to blame as Richie, because he allowed it to happen.

"At this level, you're a man. You're not a little boy. You're not a freshman in college. You're a man."
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm

NOW YOU'RE A MAN! (MAN) A MAYuN MAYUN MAYUN!!
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Martin seems like the only person in the entire league that is 100% in the right.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR